Labbe has tryout with Calgary Foothills

Rheo

For sure. Legally it is a very interesting question. You can also add into that legality other gender issues. I have been following the track and field changes in SA with regards to elevated testosterone, unofficially known as the Caster Semanya changes. Essentially, she will have to lower her testosterone levels or be forced to compete with men.

Sooner or later that will be something FIFA has to look at. No one really had the bottom line on the fascinating case of the Equatorial Guinea players who qualified them out of CAF for the WC and were accused of being men and then disappeared for the final tournament roster. Perhaps like bone-density for the wrist and age in men there will be a similar testosterone test for women as well.

update - interesting, I didn't realize the EG coach has since come out and said they were men. Another time I was called sexist for suggesting that.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, Vic said:

"And of course now you are lying, or at least have no clue how soccer works"  
"As anyone with a passing familiarity with the game would know..."

The beautiful thing about the game is 1000 people can watch it and see 1000 different things. Let's just say you and I are watching different things ;)

So now you are claiming that the way to develop professional players DOES NOT involve training with, and playing with and against professional players?!?! 

This is not about, "seeing different things", you are denying reality. 

12 hours ago, BreadBoy said:

What if the League said she wasn't allowed to play because she was over 23, would that cause the same ruckus? Are teams allowed a certain # of overage players?

That is the whole point of the PDL. The rosters are mainly U23 but they are allowed a set number of overage players on the roster to provide mentorship and competition.

If they were a pure U23 league then this would not be a question. 

7 hours ago, The Ref said:

If she thinks herself so highly why did she quit the Washington Spirit and why no other NWSL team is interested on her.  Now her lawsuit will definitely make her too hot to handle.  Good luck Stephanie!

Once again, her contract was up but the Spirit held on to her rights and didn't release her until teams had mostly filled their rosters.  Please consider learning the facts before wrongly judging someone's motives and attitudes.

"I thought about it [playing in a men's league] when our league folded. I thought about playing for a lower-division men's [amateur] club team in St. Louis. And I do believe I would have been able to take care of myself and handle my own if it was a lower division.  It's unfortunate that it wouldn't be allowed by FIFA because I think as women, we need a place to play and there's not always a lot of opportunities to become the best in the world, and if you look at the players who want to do it, they want to be the best in the world; the Martas, Maribel Dominguez, the Ljungbergs.  I think it should be allowed if it's fair and if they deserve to be on the team. Not out of charity." 

Anyone who has an understanding of the women's game has already figured out who this comment six years ago is from. And who at the time was the #1 goalkeeper in the world.   If you haven't then here is a link:  http://goo.gl/MwG2td

Fully and hugely agree with her - on both the opportunity and charity.

3 minutes ago, Vic said:

"I thought about it [playing in a men's league] when our league folded. I thought about playing for a lower-division men's [amateur] club team in St. Louis. And I do believe I would have been able to take care of myself and handle my own if it was a lower division.  It's unfortunate that it wouldn't be allowed by FIFA because I think as women, we need a place to play and there's not always a lot of opportunities to become the best in the world, and if you look at the players who want to do it, they want to be the best in the world; the Martas, Maribel Dominguez, the Ljungbergs.  I think it should be allowed if it's fair and if they deserve to be on the team. Not out of charity." 

Anyone who has an understanding of the women's game has already figured out who this comment six years ago is from. And who at the time was the #1 goalkeeper in the world.   If you haven't then here is a link:  http://goo.gl/MwG2td

Fully and hugely agree with her - on both the opportunity and charity.

I read Hope's book some time ago and was impressed by her life.  She is/was indeed the greatest goalkeeper.  She has my admiration.

• 3 weeks later...

That goal is the result of a break down the middle where Labbe has to protect the centre of the goal, whereupon Rebecca Quinn makes a perfect and completely unexpected "pass" to Huth, forcing Labbe to her move quickly to her left, whereupon Huth pounds it first time to her right.  Did Labbe overplay it?  Possibly.  Was the defence utter shite?  Yup.  I'd hardly use that goal to say she's terrible. 

Here's the Video

Was the German keeper any better on Fleming's goal?

Labbe a nice point-blank save on a header off a cross later in the game but definitely overcommitted, the ball pretty much went in the middle of the net. 

That was just an observation as someone had said "None looked particularly stoppable." But seeing now that was in the game thread, had posted this there but then thought it was here so moved it here.

When Buchanan turned the ball over the wingbacks were spread wide in support positions, you could argue they should have pinched with her that far advanced but neither could have imagined she would get pickpocketed so badly.  The German Lea Schüller made a great early run and got really good service, make a mistake against the world #1 and they will expose you pretty quickly. I thought Quinn made a really good run to break it up. I don't think she was shite at all.

Not sure about a comparison to Fleming's goal. She was 5m from the keeper when she scored and the keeper came out well to cut the angle but was a bit upright and flat-footed. The interception and pass by Schmidt and the dummy by Sinclair were both outstanding, and then Fleming put it in the corner. Three great pieces of skill. Bit formidable for a keeper in her first appearance for the team.

• 1 month later...

As did the club:

World goalkeeper Stephanie Labbé joins LFC in July to replace Hilda Carlén. She has a bronze from OS 2016 and 51 international matches for Canada. " I am thrilled to be joining Linköping and to bring my experience and leadership to the squad, says Stephanie Labbé @stephlabbe1

Good karma. Great place to land.

• 5 months later...

Even though her contract  extended  into  2019, Stephanie Labbe and Linkopings  parted ways at the end of November 2018. So at the moment, Stephanie  Labbe's current club soccer situation is a  little unclear/murky.  The worst imaginable  case scenario here is that she's a sans club player going into the  2019 WWC France. 

https://www.svt.se/sport/fotboll/linkoping-dumpar-malvakt-och-varvar-ny

https://www.mvt.se/sport/lfc/avslojar-malvaktsstjarnan-lamnar-linkoping-om5571587.aspx

• 4 weeks later...

Archived