Calgary Foothills 2018

Rheo

I haven't really been keeping up with player movement, but looks like Jackson Farmer on the bench.  Zator back with club after last year with Whitecaps 2.  Not sure where Dominic Russo is these days - is he still with club?

54 minutes ago, Jason said:

I haven't really been keeping up with player movement, but looks like Jackson Farmer on the bench.  Zator back with club after last year with Whitecaps 2.  Not sure where Dominic Russo is these days - is he still with club?

Is that Jordan Haynes at LB?

12 hours ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

Looks like a really strong team. I like it.

Agree - it's hard to know with the PDL though.  There are a lot of soccer players out of work with the demise of the NASL.  I expect this will have a trickle down effect and there will be some players in PDL that ordinarily wouldn't be at that level.  I'm old enough to remember when MLS contracted by folding Tampa Bay and Miami.  The next year was the first year the Calgary Storm played in the A-League.  I know that some team officials said adding in 2 teams worth of MLS players to the A-League player pool greatly increased the quality of play from what they had originally expected.

I see the team is in England and visited my old local club Exeter City to watch their match Saturday.. not sure why exactly but the ECFC page on insta said they had recently played reading u23s (about a 2 hour train ride). 

No sign or Steph Labbe in the photo.

1 hour ago, Keegan said:

No sign or Steph Labbe in the photo.

http://calgarysun.com/sports/soccer/canadian-womens-national-team-keeper-stephanie-labbe-joins-foothills-fc

For now, the plan is to have Labbé train with the team and play in a friendly match against Lethbridge University this weekend. After that, the team is scheduled to go play a series of exhibition games against professional clubs’ development teams in England, while Labbé will go to a national women’s team camp in France at the beginning of April.

She’ll rejoin the team after that to train and play another couple games before a decision is made about the rest of the summer.

Glad to see a thread for Calgary Foothills kicking around.

No mention of Moses Danto yet, he's scored a couple goals on their England tour and looked great when I saw him in late January. I've heard Russo has hung up the cleats; a shame given he was ranked the best PDL attacking prospect after the 2016 season. The club is high on 16 year old Jacob Angelozzi who was with the Whitecaps for a year but should get PDL minutes this year.

As for the move to Okotoks, while I personally hate the location, I think it could be a boon for the PDL club. Okotoks supports their amateur sides very well, the Dawgs as an example drew an average over 4000 in 2017. Calgary being the poor sports town that it is (IMO of course), Foothills has really failed to draw anything more than the Foothills parents and kids and us few supporters.

9 minutes ago, shermanator said:

Glad to see a thread for Calgary Foothills kicking around.

No mention of Moses Danto yet, he's scored a couple goals on their England tour and looked great when I saw him in late January. I've heard Russo has hung up the cleats; a shame given he was ranked the best PDL attacking prospect after the 2016 season. The club is high on 16 year old Jacob Angelozzi who was with the Whitecaps for a year but should get PDL minutes this year.

As for the move to Okotoks, while I personally hate the location, I think it could be a boon for the PDL club. Okotoks supports their amateur sides very well, the Dawgs as an example drew an average over 4000 in 2017. Calgary being the poor sports town that it is (IMO of course), Foothills has really failed to draw anything more than the Foothills parents and kids and us few supporters.

Agree re: Okotoks especially when it comes to location.  Just not feasible to make the trek regularly.  Might make it out to one game just to check things out.  Not sure how they will attract attention compared to Dawgs which is huge there.  Is there enough room for 2 summer spectator sports?  Don't know but I guess we shall see.

Excited to see a Foothills thread as well.  Foot Soldiers have been talking and we are ready to go this year, going to be a very exciting year!  

We will definitely put some stuff about supporters meetings in this thread within the next few weeks as well, would be nice to see some new blood in there!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived