Not Repeating History

On 3/29/2018 at 12:35 PM, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

I can’t speak for those leagues. But i can speak for albertans. They would see a league like that as a stuck up Ontario league that thinks they are the heart of Canada. Albertans in general (not me) are very touchy with Ontario. Sometimes they even despise Ontario.

This is because of the stereotype of Ontario (or Toronto) beleiving they are the center or heart of Canada, and everything good comes from there. I am not advocating for this, but just stating that Albertans are very touchy with the political side of things. I don’t want to get into all the intricacies of these opinions, but they are very relevant in the context of a “national league”.

Albertans will not support a “national league” that has 10 teams in Ontario and tries to expand from there. Albertans are prideful of their cities and they hate being left out of the national picture. There is a reason why Edmonton is still in the World Cup bid. Albertans would be very mad if they got “neglected” and didn’t get any games.

I believe this sort of thing is very important when developing a league. I am not sure Quebec would be happy with being left out of a “national league” either. If we want a National league, we need to make it national. Prideful provinces will not be happy with being left out. 

This point is spot-on. 

A Canadian national league without a team in Québec, or even a team that operates in French in a city in which we form a plurality (Ottawa, Moncton, Sudbury, etc..) would mean that roughly 30% of the country is not only unrepresented, but linguistically and culturally excluded. 

It would mean that the "Canadian" and "national" part of Canada's national league would be lies. 

Boy that is so canadian.  We dont even have a league yet.  Its taken years to try and drum up potential investors/interested potential owners let alone build/renovate reasonable stadiums.  Half this board of hardcore CDN fans dont believe its going to happen let alone be successful...and we are worried it wont be national unless PQ is represented???  I want some sort of league to start and if my socio-politcal/geographical region isnt represented...well i guess I'll just have to live with it.  Because if a league doesnt start there will be 0% chance of it being successful and spreading to other regions unrepresented at launch.  Sure we would all love to see dozens of 100 year old natural formed supporter owned clubs with rich history in a true European pyramid pro/reg system with any cluster of fans having a local team to cheer for....BUT...you have to start somewhere. If conditions arent ready in BC, Man/Sk or Quebec right now, then they can get in for season#2.  

53 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Boy that is so canadian.  We dont even have a league yet.  Its taken years to try and drum up potential investors/interested potential owners let alone build/renovate reasonable stadiums.  Half this board of hardcore CDN fans dont believe its going to happen let alone be successful...and we are worried it wont be national unless PQ is represented???  I want some sort of league to start and if my socio-politcal/geographical region isnt represented...well i guess I'll just have to live with it.  Because if a league doesnt start there will be 0% chance of it being successful and spreading to other regions unrepresented at launch.  Sure we would all love to see dozens of 100 year old natural formed supporter owned clubs with rich history in a true European pyramid pro/reg system with any cluster of fans having a local team to cheer for....BUT...you have to start somewhere. If conditions arent ready in BC, Man/Sk or Quebec right now, then they can get in for season#2.  

I agree. I was responding to a poster who was basically saying that the league should start in Ontario to lower costs. If Alberta isn’t represented i think that is ok, but it still needs to be national, it cant just be one or two provinces. 

I say this from the perspective of a non hardcore fan. I don’t think they would support a national league that is basically just 1 or 2 provinces. Personally i would support anything. I think my favourite two leagues in the world right now are L1O and PLSQ, and i am from Alberta. 

As well, i think it is important that nearly every province gets a team. That doesn’t necessarily mean right now, or in the first division. Many places might be much better prepared 5-20 years down the road. I love how the CPL has been really emphasizing how they are looking for teams coast to coast. Canada’s main attribute as a country is diversity, I would love that to be a centrepiece of the league in both culture and locations.

7 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Under no fair reading of my post did I imply that I did not want the league to start, nor that I would not support it should Ottawa or Québec be excluded at launch. I also wish the league the best of success.  

I implied that - exactly like the current Canadian Soccer League - a regional league that calls itself 'national' would be both laughable, and an imaginably alienating experience to most soccer fans. 

I agree with everything else you've written, but also believe that I've got a point myself. 

Archived