Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 6/2/2018 at 10:55 AM, Kadenge said:

Has Blondell had a good performance in any game to date? 

He looks most comfortable when he can cut in from the right. From his highlights before coming to the Caps it looked like he might have been playing off justvto the right of another striker, which isn't going to happen with us.

Link to post
Share on other sites

We have the talent to handle these middle of the road teams, IMO our roster is superior. But that is not quality football, we are letting down the vision.

With the chronic listnessness of this team, the lazy defending, sloppy passing, illogical free kick designs --for me all coaching problems-- this team is ripe for the picking if we can put a CPL team in the Lower Mainland.

All you need is to give fans a reason NOT to go to that stadium, pay those prices, and watch that terrible excuse for entertainment.

I don't care if it ends like this, as it stands, a W. Give fans another option, a lot more will take it than we might imagine.

PS: Davies, perhaps the only and certainly the best reason to watch the team, just has to be gone soon. How can foreign scouts not be seeing what we see?

Edited by Unnamed Trialist
Link to post
Share on other sites

Fans should be showing up to watch Davies regardless of Robbo and the squad.  Davies is carving Will Johnson up and has drawn numerous fouls and set up the goal and almost scored just now. His skill is catching up to his pace and pretty soon nobody who lives in Canada is going to be seeing him in person.  He is the real deal??

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Club Linesman said:

Fans should be showing up to watch Davies regardless of Robbo and the squad.  Davies is carving Will Johnson up and has drawn numerous fouls and set up the goal and almost scored just now. His skill is catching up to his pace and pretty soon nobody who lives in Canada is going to be seeing him in person.  He is the real deal??

He might have broken WJ’s ankle on that assist!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Davies was amazing tonight, for sure, but the entire team has been playing more cohesive football as of late, certainly over the last six or so games.  Lots of messy football still, but the team seems to be getting better and better. Felipe brings calm to this squad, and calm is contagious. The Caps are better in possession in these last handful of games, and have done much to improve their defensive play, especially the last two games.  I think Mutch, once fully fit, will make a big difference over the last half of the season. His distribution, especially over longer distances, is very solid. That is good news for a team that likes to play the counter.

I know we like to criticize Robbo--and for good reason sometimes--but the squad seems to be turning the corner. They've got further to go, for sure, but I am pleased to see the positive evolution as of late.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎6‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 7:25 PM, The Beaver said:

I know we like to criticize Robbo--and for good reason sometimes--but the squad seems to be turning the corner.

I have enjoyed many of your posts of the years but I ask you, respectfully, to think or look back to the times where you (or others, probably myself as well) have posted similar statements about this club under Robbo.

This is a good stretch of games against very beatable teams, both home and away, and they have been doing the job.  Hopefully they can keep it rolling.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

I have enjoyed many of your posts of the years but I ask you, respectfully, to think or look back to the times where you (or others, probably myself as well) have posted similar statements about this club under Robbo.

This is a good stretch of games against very beatable teams, both home and away, and they have been doing the job.  Hopefully they can keep it rolling.

I hear you, but if we are going to look back then we need to dig deep when we do so.

I think it was two years ago, the most recent year the Caps did not make the playoffs, where I waited and waited for the Caps to show some sort of cohesion and momentum, but at no point did they turn the corner.  Why? Well, we could chalk it up to a lot of things, but all of them in the end point to Robbo and, to a large degree, ownership.  My point here is that I will not point to a tangible turn around IF there isn't real evidence of one.

The recent run of games, including the four draws, have shown a team that is starting to come together. They are scoring and creating a lot of chances and, as of late, starting to shore up the defense.  Maybe none of this has anything to do with Robbo and his staff, but that seems highly unlikely.  To be clear, I am not in any way suggesting that the recent run of form confirms that we've maligned Robbo needlessly and that he should be given a five-year contract extension.  Like many of you, I remain skeptical about his abilities as manager. But I also strongly believe in giving credit where it is due, and maybe--just maybe--Robbo has this team headed in the right direction. We've only half a season to find out!

Thanks for this, mi amigo.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Beaver said:

I hear you, but if we are going to look back then we need to dig deep when we do so.

I think it was two years ago, the most recent year the Caps did not make the playoffs, where I waited and waited for the Caps to show some sort of cohesion and momentum, but at no point did they turn the corner.  Why? Well, we could chalk it up to a lot of things, but all of them in the end point to Robbo and, to a large degree, ownership.  My point here is that I will not point to a tangible turn around IF there isn't real evidence of one.

The recent run of games, including the four draws, have shown a team that is starting to come together. They are scoring and creating a lot of chances and, as of late, starting to shore up the defense.  Maybe none of this has anything to do with Robbo and his staff, but that seems highly unlikely.  To be clear, I am not in any way suggesting that the recent run of form confirms that we've maligned Robbo needlessly and that he should be given a five-year contract extension.  Like many of you, I remain skeptical about his abilities as manager. But I also strongly believe in giving credit where it is due, and maybe--just maybe--Robbo has this team headed in the right direction. We've only half a season to find out!

Thanks for this, mi amigo.

I am pleased to see the move away from playing two defensive midfielders and one forward up top. It was ineffective and boring. With the change to a 4-4-2 we see less whipping crosses into one isolated forward and more build-up play. Unsurprisingly to many fans, with the change in formation the results have improved. I am not sure why it took so long for Robbo to be alive to the fact that is 4-2-3-1 wasn't working, but there are some positive signs emerging. The test will be if Robbo is able to adapt to other teams adapting to the change in formation. Like the Beaver, I remain skeptical.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On ‎6‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 7:25 PM, The Beaver said:

I know we like to criticize Robbo--and for good reason sometimes--but the squad seems to be turning the corner.

Today, they turned the corner but drove into a ditch.  They were pretty poor today.  Dunfield was saying on the broadcast that Philly is a tough place to reach by flight and bus but if the club knows that in advance, then why not travel two days prior than just the day before?  They're coming off an extended bye week here and not struggling with a midweek fixture.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/9/2018 at 4:49 PM, Unnamed Trialist said:

PS: Davies, perhaps the only and certainly the best reason to watch the team, just has to be gone soon. How can foreign scouts not be seeing what we see?

Doesn't he need to be 18 before he can move to Europe?

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Maybe I am dumb, but if Tabla could go to Barça, with what he's shown, it would be crazy to think Davies is not going to go to a similar level and for similar conditions. If not, well, the scouts are doing a very poor job out there.

I agree in that he'll go to a similar club, but it'll be for a substantially higher transfer fee. Tabla flew under the radar after he held out in mid-season to force a sale. Had he played in the second half he would have likely improved his standing among scouts. From what i saw in a handful of games in the first half of last year he was an above average MLS player with glimpses of brilliance. In comparison, Davies so far has been more consistently dominant.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/30/2018 at 7:37 AM, Gian-Luca said:

.................................

Maybe he was just quoting Paul Newman lines from Slapshot and someone took him out of context?

If only, I can remember well that scene it was so funny.  

 

Edited by mtlfan
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...