SOCCER INTEREST IN YOUR COMMUNITY

Robert

14 minutes ago, Robert said:

Robert's final contribution:

I hope you mean only to this.  By no means am I asking you to stop posting. 

It's more like none of this is worth being angry about.  Been there done that.  It's better on this side of the fence.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay. Let's try things on this side of the fence, and only because the CSA today puts on such great international soccer spectacles like the recent mouth-watering exhibition against New Zealand. So, speaking of the Canadian Men's National Team, here's Robert's first contribution since moving over to the greener side of the fence (I'd rather be green and growing, than ripe and rotten). This is the first in a series of photographs I'll post, depending on how well they are received:

5acf7d3b8aa2a_6Canada1957.thumb.jpg.f69c434a0c280f65f2ee53039faf057b.jpg

1 hour ago, Robert said:

Okay. Let's try things on this side of the fence, and only because the CSA today puts on such great international soccer spectacles like the recent mouth-watering exhibition against New Zealand. So, speaking of the Canadian Men's National Team, here's Robert's first contribution since moving over to the greener side of the fence (I'd rather be green and growing, than ripe and rotten). This is the first in a series of photographs I'll post, depending on how well they are received:

5acf7d3b8aa2a_6Canada1957.thumb.jpg.f69c434a0c280f65f2ee53039faf057b.jpg

That's awesome.

Are there any photos showing the front of the jersey?

3 hours ago, Robert said:

I was was going to post more photographs of Canada's first World Cup venture, but I'll quit posting them if Kent, BuzzAndSting or others don't like them.

Maybe the CSA can provide you with better quality photographs.

Don’t get me wrong, I like seeing the pics just fine. Just a couple of things looked odd to me in that one.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, seems like a timely comment. Bad bad news guys, a Canadian won the CCL Golden Boot this week. More bad bad news guys, a new pro soccer league is being founded and the next new team will be announced within 2 weeks.

On 4/29/2018 at 5:07 PM, Kent said:

Yeah, seems like a timely comment. Bad bad news guys, a Canadian won the CCL Golden Boot this week. More bad bad news guys, a new pro soccer league is being founded and the next new team will be announced within 2 weeks.

Who won the CCL Golden Boot five years ago?

7 hours ago, Robert said:

Who won the CCL Golden Boot five years ago?

Nicolas Munoz from Panama and Carlos Quintero from Colombia. What's your point?

Just to make sure you didn't get the number of years ago wrong, I'll check all the golden boot winners.

2009 - Javier Orozco (Mexico)
2010 - Ulises Mendivil (Mexico)
2011 - Javier Orozco (Mexico)
2012 - Oribe Peralta (Mexico), Humberto Suazo (Chile)
2013 - Nicolas Munoz (Panama), Carlos Quintero (Colombia)
2014 - Raul Nava (Mexico)
2015 - Dario Benedetto (Argentina), Oribe Peralta (Mexico)
2016 - Emanuel Villa (Argentina)
2017 - Hirving Lozano (Mexico)

So yeah, I don't get what your point is with your question. Maybe your point was that Panama had a Golden Boot winner and they have done nothing since then (assuming you don't count qualifying for this years World Cup as an accomplishment, even though I would count that as a pretty important accomplishment).

30 minutes ago, Kent said:

Nicolas Munoz from Panama and Carlos Quintero from Colombia. What's your point?

Just to make sure you didn't get the number of years ago wrong, I'll check all the golden boot winners.

2009 - Javier Orozco (Mexico)
2010 - Ulises Mendivil (Mexico)
2011 - Javier Orozco (Mexico)
2012 - Oribe Peralta (Mexico), Humberto Suazo (Chile)
2013 - Nicolas Munoz (Panama), Carlos Quintero (Colombia)
2014 - Raul Nava (Mexico)
2015 - Dario Benedetto (Argentina), Oribe Peralta (Mexico)
2016 - Emanuel Villa (Argentina)
2017 - Hirving Lozano (Mexico)

So yeah, I don't get what your point is with your question. Maybe your point was that Panama had a Golden Boot winner and they have done nothing since then (assuming you don't count qualifying for this years World Cup as an accomplishment, even though I would count that as a pretty important accomplishment).

Thanks for doing all that research, Kent. It proves my point exactly, because the fact is you had to look it up! Winning the golden boot really means  jack-shit, because a week after doing so nobody remembers your name. However, I will always remember the name of the guy who missed a wide-open goal in the final-minute against Chivas, which had he scored would have made Toronto FC the first non-Mexican club to win the Champions League!

14 minutes ago, Robert said:

Thanks for doing all that research, Kent. It proves my point exactly, because the fact is you had to look it up! Winning the golden boot really means  jack-shit, because a week after doing so nobody remembers your name. However, I will always remember the name of the guy who missed a wide-open goal in the final-minute against Chivas, which had he scored would have made Toronto FC the first non-Mexican club to win the Champions League!

That's quite the terrible take away. Just because people may not remember the golden boot winners doesn't make it a meaningless accomplishment (and I would argue that many Canadians will remember that Osorio won the CCL golden boot this year, just like we remember who won the 2000 and 2017 Gold Cup golden boots even if we can't remember any others).

Here's a different takeaway from my research. CCL Golden Boot winners have come from Mexico, Chile, Colombia, Argentina, Panama, Italy (counting Giovinco here, since I was finding ties for other years as well), and Canada. Those are some fantastic soccer nations, plus a pretty strong regional rival (Panama) that we are grouped together with. That's an accomplishment and it's good news, not bad bad news.

Archived