Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Northvansteve

Simon Colyn

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

I don’t get the snide comment. It seems like a good opportunity for the kid

Nothing snide. I think a lot of people in Vancouver felt he was being moved along a Davies-like path of opportunity after starting at the end of the previous season. He kind of fell off the map this past year if I'm not mistaken. There's not much going on for anyone other than residency boys or first team players here so why not let his development be entrusted to a reputable club in Europe?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, nolando said:

Going nowhere fast in Vancouver, so why not? 

He's one of the youngest players to sign an MLS contracts, helped Canada U17 make the World Cup, helped Caps U17 get to USSD final 4 last year. Is literally "going to" PSV on trial. If that's nowhere fast I would hate to hear what you think of the other 99.9999999% of 17 year old soccer players on the planet

Davies like path? Who is on that path? 

Edited by SpursFlu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, nolando said:

Nothing snide. I think a lot of people in Vancouver felt he was being moved along a Davies-like path of opportunity after starting at the end of the previous season. He kind of fell off the map this past year if I'm not mistaken. There's not much going on for anyone other than residency boys or first team players here so why not let his development be entrusted to a reputable club in Europe?

Did he get a start? What I am seeing on MLS's website and transfermarkt is that he hasn't played a minute for the whitecaps.

Edit: I wasn't looking in the right place on transfermarkt. He apparently played 4 minutes in 2018.

Edited by Kent

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At this fork in the road, if I'm his parent/advisor/agent (and even as a Voyageur), I'm not realistically thinking he'll be the next Alfonso Davies, but rather worried that he might become the next Philippe Davies if he doesn't get into a prime development situation from age 18-22. I just don't see the Caps as that place, personally.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, nolando said:

Nothing snide. I think a lot of people in Vancouver felt he was being moved along a Davies-like path of opportunity after starting at the end of the previous season. He kind of fell off the map this past year if I'm not mistaken. There's not much going on for anyone other than residency boys or first team players here so why not let his development be entrusted to a reputable club in Europe?

People are going to be repeatedly disappointed if they expect every prospect to perform like Davies has as a teenager. Most just don’t possess those tools yet.

I’d personally prefer to see how players like Colyn perform against men in the CPL, than risk losing them to bigger clubs through a loan/option to buy, but I get the draw for the players to chose a more proven pathway

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After getting the cameo at end of 2018, I thought he would at least be up with the big club for part of the season, maybe get a couple games.  Didnt he damn near score in that game??  Not really expecting a Davies like progression but he needs to play.  I'd like to see him in CPL too, but if he is inclined and it good enough why not go to PSV?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

After getting the cameo at end of 2018, I thought he would at least be up with the big club for part of the season, maybe get a couple games.  Didnt he damn near score in that game??  Not really expecting a Davies like progression but he needs to play.  I'd like to see him in CPL too, but if he is inclined and it good enough why not go to PSV?  

He was injured this season 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Stryker911 said:

He is good enough to get a trial for a top Dutch team, but he wasn't good enough for our u17 team?

He was injured or coming off an injury. Plus, he looked ordinary to poor during qualifying. He reminded me of Bekker - showed ball skills but not much else.

Edited by red card

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounding more and more from people like Glass City that the PSV deal is essentially done but not yet announced. I see he turns 18 in March. Does he need to a certain age before it can be made official?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, nolando said:

Does he need to a certain age before it can be made official?

I don't think so. He needs to be 18 to sign a contract but I don't believe there is any restrictions on when a transfer could be announced. The Davies transfer was confirmed months before his 18th birthday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, nolando said:

Sounding more and more from people like Glass City that the PSV deal is essentially done but not yet announced. I see he turns 18 in March. Does he need to a certain age before it can be made official?

Unless he has an EU passport, he cannot complete an international transfer to Europe until his 18th birthday. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Exciting move for him if it comes to pass. Certainly someone damaged by the next davies hype and expectation in some quarters. Whether he wasnt ready, grew an attitude problem/mental block coping or the caps saw the potential hype problem and pushed on the breaks I dont know.

He looked bright in his debut cameo at the end of the 2018 season for the caps. Hasnt impressed me in what I saw in youth internationals and albeit a nothing to play for friendly vs SK Selects last summer. The talent must certainly be there he just needs the environment and platform. 

Hopefully he can carve out his own path in Holland. A great landing spot to learn. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/18/2020 at 11:06 AM, toontownman said:

Whether he wasnt ready, grew an attitude problem/mental block coping or the caps saw the potential hype problem and pushed on the breaks I dont know.

It might simply be a fitness issue. I thought he was struggling with injuries most of last season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Norrin Radd said:

It might simply be a fitness issue. I thought he was struggling with injuries most of last season.

This.  Also, I remember Dasovic being interviewed (can't find a link, sorry) and mentioning that Colyn probably wasn't physically ready for the rigours of the senior team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

This.  Also, I remember Dasovic being interviewed (can't find a link, sorry) and mentioning that Colyn probably wasn't physically ready for the rigours of the senior team.

Sounds like a poor excuse to not have him training with the first team, get in the 18 now and than and get some junk time minutes in games out of reach. Especially since the whitecaps were basically out of it by July and their midfield was terrible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...