Canadians abroad: February 2-8, 2018

DJT

Guidelines for this thread

• In this thread post match updates on all Canadians abroad for February 2-8, 2018.
  • If you find updates posted in some other thread then post them here as well, but be sure to credit the original poster.
  • If there is news that is particularly significant (eg. someone scores a big goal, someone gets injured, etc.) then feel free to begin a new thread on that topic in order to draw greater attention or start a discussion, but also post that news here.
  • Some comments on news posted in this thread are okay, but let's not let this thread go off into a long discussion. If the news already appears in another thread (as per the previous bullet) then post your comments in that other thread, otherwise if you want to say something significant or if it is likely to generate replies then begin a new thread.

4 hours ago, C2SKI said:

Adekugbe starts for Valerenga in a friendly win. I think he's played a part in every game since he joined

I'll have to pull out my Valerenga scarf.  VIF are one of the biggest clubs in Scandinavia with a brand new stadium.  I really hope Sam does well.

England

Hoillet starts and scores against Leeds. 2-0 Cardiff at the half.

Twardek starts for Carlisle United against Wycombe. 2-0 Wycombe at the half.

Simeon Jackson starts and scores for Grimsby Town against Cheltenham. 1-0 Grimsby at the half.

India

Iain Hume plays 45 in a 2-1 win for Kerala over Pune yesterday.

Germany

In a 2-0 win for Lotte over Aalen, Straith played 90 minutes and Stanese played 6 minutes.

Scotland

In a 4-1 loss, Haber played 54 minutes.

In a 2-1 win for Greenock over Dunfermline, Gasparotto played 90 minutes and Aird stayed on the bench.

In a 1-0 win, Gomes stayed on the bench.

In a 3-1 win, Zanatta played 82 minutes.

In a 4-0 win, Paton played 90 minutes and scored 1 goal.

In a 3-1 loss, Ferguson stayed on the bench.

Spain so far

In Tercera (4th tier), Andrew Lebre scored m. 86 as Almazán got a big win vs. At. Astorga, 1-0. He started, I think as a defensive mid for the first time. 

Miki Cantave scored a penalty for Rayo Cantabria, he played 90, the home team Cultural Guarnizo came back to win 2-1.

All the rest of the Canucks in Spain go tomorrow, including Ballou, called up for Barça B away to Córdoba. As we don't have any strikers, with Arnaiz injured and some guys u-17 playing an international tournament, I think he may start. Or he may be behind Abel Ruiz.

DVG9rSeXUAAY7Br.jpg

2 hours ago, jordan said:

Ballou Tabla is on the Barcelona B bench today

He didn't get on, but Cardona, did, and tied it 1-1, then Nahuel, another new signing, got the winner in stoppage time. McGuane and Hongla, new signings, also got minutes. Tough competition for him. I am going to take a stab next week at home and maybe he'll get on finally.

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

He didn't get on, but Cardona, did, and tied it 1-1, then Nahuel, another new signing, got the winner in stoppage time. McGuane and Hongla, new signings, also got minutes. Tough competition for him. I am going to take a stab next week at home and maybe he'll get on finally.

Well, it's the ol' Voyageurs silver lining for dual nationals - hope he doesn't shine too much so that we might be able to keep him :unsure:

Could we perhaps see him getting playing time for the Barca U19's this spring?

47 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

Well, it's the ol' Voyageurs silver lining for dual nationals - hope he doesn't shine too much so that we might be able to keep him :unsure:

Could we perhaps see him getting playing time for the Barca U19's this spring?

He is the right age group but I am not sure about the rules. If you are registered in a lower level you can always play in a higher, but not always vice versa. I don't know the exact rules, but over the years I have heard them cited. 

Right now the team has a half dozen kids who started the year in the u-19 teams (A or B), called "Juvenil" in Spain, goes from born 99 to born 97 this season. They can go up, to the B or the first team, and then go down again. 

We need to be patient, he has just arrived. Nahuel who also just arrived is a young Argentine who was at Betis. McGuane is his age but already got minutes with the first team at Arsenal. Their pedigree is higher than is, and both were fully in season, Tabla is in pre-season, however fit he kept himself.

On 6/2/2018 at 12:03 AM, Oranje said:

Millar came on in the 72th after a Lallana straight red. Spurs won 1-0 and Liverpool eventually had 2 sent off

Didn't Lallana punch a kid he was training with, one of this bunch? Why didn't they suspend him for that? If he doesn't want to be with the kids (and I think it is a poor idea, frankly), then have him get back into game shape with the first team.

EDIT: Oops, sorry, it was this red, when I first read it I thought he had done it training vs. one of his own.

Archived