Dejan Jaković

Ansem

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Little timely bump here. The above still looks on the cards. Guess he could got to Las Vegas permanently but seeing as they played him less than a handful of times that doesn't look likely.  Could look North or could call it a day. At 34 he should have a couple of years left at CPL level you would think? Maybe player/coaching is an option too.

Awesome to see him get on the field in this historic win for LAFC.

Does this put him in the conversation for a November call?

Just joking...I couldn't resist.

But seriously though, even though it is only 1 game, it is still kind of nice that our program is in a place where a 33 year old Dejan Jakovic, who just saw the field in a playoff win for the Supporters Shield Champions, is nowhere near Canada's best 18 right now.

28 minutes ago, Big_M said:

Why nowhere near..he just got 15 min in a conference semi..that would mean that someone like cornelius is much better..was on and off this year on a very weak team..would cornelius get sent on for 15 min against zlatan and pavon..hell no

I like Jakovic and what you are saying about Cornelius is true, but the reality is that Jakovic has remained on the outside looking in. I would be shocked if one game changes that. I doubt very much it does.

That said, I am sure John Herdman is very happy to see him get those minutes and gain that experience. I know I am. You never know when you are going to have to reach deep into the pool and pull a guy like Jakovic out. We are better off that he is getting those minutes while he is on the sidelines, so to speak.

Edited by Obinna

Herdman on Overdrive alluded to older players he spoke to and told that they were behind younger players with an eye toward the future.  I'd imagine Jakovic was one of these guys, and rightly so in his position - we have a weak back line so the least we can do is develop some familiarity for the future.  I'm happy with Vitoria, Edgar and Straith as our "veteran" CBs for the time being.  

Jakovic getting almost no minutes all season long is more indicitive of his carer path then a brief cameo in the playoffs.  He sat all season while puppies Segura and Blackmon played.  Good for him toughing it out and getting paid (150k).  But with Vittorias resurgence (@32 years old) and especially Millers emergence this season I cant see Herdman giving Jakovic a call.  I hope he gets another cameo vs the Sounders though!!  

2 hours ago, Big_M said:

Why nowhere near..he just got 15 min in a conference semi..that would mean that someone like cornelius is much better..was on and off this year on a very weak team..would cornelius get sent on for 15 min against zlatan and pavon..hell no

If he was a backup defender on LAFC and they were looking to protect the lead then yes, he would have. But he's a starter for VWFC so he didn't. 

Jakovic got sent out there because he's all LAFC had, the situations couldve been reversed if the two players swapped roster spots (LAFC vs VWFC).

Edited by king1010

Except he wasnt all they had..they already had 3 players who could play cb when they sent him on and they put blackmon at rb and sent him on..they could have put blessing at rb for example and kept blackmon at cb..no way they would have sent cornelius with the mistakes hes made this year and not sure he would even make the lafc roster this year..and to say hes a starter in vancouver..16 starts, 13 stayed on the bench, 1 subbed on and 1 kept out of the 18 and the 3 others he was at the gold cup..if thats a starter its very barely

1 hour ago, Big_M said:

Except he wasnt all they had..they already had 3 players who could play cb when they sent him on and they put blackmon at rb and sent him on..they could have put blessing at rb for example and kept blackmon at cb..no way they would have sent cornelius with the mistakes hes made this year and not sure he would even make the lafc roster this year..and to say hes a starter in vancouver..16 starts, 13 stayed on the bench, 1 subbed on and 1 kept out of the 18 and the 3 others he was at the gold cup..if thats a starter its very barely

1. Stating no way LAFC would have sent Cornelius out with the mistakes he made AT VWFC is such a subjective statement, there is no way to back it up as anything more than opinion

2. Stating he wouldn't make LAFC roster again is nothing but subjective opinion. MLS rosters take into consideration many variables such as Cornelius' lack of cap hit, he very well could have made their roster, but nobody could say for certain 

3. he started and played 90 minutes in 9 of the teams last 11 games. He didn't begin the season as a starter, but he definitely finished it as one which is what mattered most

4. Not sure what the point of this subjective argument is or why  Cornelius was brought up in this thread, so I'm going to drop it.  Ragging on one of our young up and coming players(when this thread should be talking positively about a guy whose barely seen minutes this year finding 15 mins in a conference semi) who put in a damn strong performance against the USA benefits nobody. 

Edited by king1010

• 4 weeks later...