Dejan Jaković

Ansem

38 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Very interesting theory. Could be the case.

40 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Don't be surprise if MLS teams pile up on available Canadian International so they can go on a loaning/selling spree in 2019

Walk me through the logic please. Nice to see LAFC sign some Canadians! 

Well this is a pleasant surprise for me - didn't see him making it back into MLS. Ciman may be away from the team for a while this summer with the World Cup so I could see him getting a fair chunk of playing time.

Hooray for MLS expansion providing jobs for Canadian players! Anyone else from our 2017 Gold Cup squad looking for a job at the moment?

Edited by Gian-Luca

8 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Well this is a pleasant surprise for me - didn't see him making it back into MLS. Ciman may be away from the team for a while this summer with the World Cup so I could see him getting a fair chunk of playing time.

Hooray for MLS expansion providing jobs for Canadian players! Anyone else from our 2017 Gold Cup squad looking for a job at the moment?

Rumor is theyre about to announce Mark Anthony Kaye as well. 

1 hour ago, hamiltonfan said:

Walk me through the logic please. Nice to see LAFC sign some Canadians! 

Buy the Canadian internationals up now so they can sell them to the CanPL later. 

It's an interesting idea but I find it hard to imagine a consorted effort by MLS to do this. Individual owners may independently be doing this however. Or, perhaps our players are just awesome and that's the only reason why they are getting snatched up (which is what I choose to believe :lol:).

Edited by Obinna

29 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Buy the Canadian internationals up now so they can sell them to the CanPL later. 

It's an interesting idea but I find it hard to imagine a consorted effort by MLS to do this. Individual owners may independently be doing this however. Or, perhaps our players are just awesome and that's the only reason why they are getting snatched up (which is what I choose to believe :lol:).

I actually don't find it hard to imagine at all.  CanPL represents a threat to MLS's marketshare in Canada.  In advance of CanPL launching, the idea that MLS might snatch up Canadian talent make sense to me - for a couple of reasons:

- it makes it harder for CanPL to field teams that are even close to MLS level (since affordable players at or just below MLS level would now be in MLS)

- it gives MLS more ammunition to compete with CanPL on the patriotism angle

- as mentioned before, it sets them up to loan out players and solidifying the MLS as "parent club" image that they were trying to achieve by seeking to put their developmental teams in CanPL

Maybe that all sounds conspiratorial, but it seems highly coincidental to me that the recent concessions on domestics, the acquisition of multiple Canadians, etc, have happened since CanPL started really gaining momentum.

59 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I’m not convinced. CPL teams certainly aren’t going to spending material coin on buying fringe CMNT players or frankly any players.

I believe this is the result of having a Canadian in the management ranks. Marc did the same thing with San Francisco. Well done MDS!

Edited by hamiltonfan

CPL not coming out with the exact quotas and international spots could be a way to adjust to what's going on during transfer windows.

They could counteract this by allowing 8 internationals. 

Then I would just go younger and live with their learning curves while playing with good foreigners. They'd be young, cheap and motivated by those young hungry guys waiting in line for their shot.

Those who develop into good players at a young age could be sold to Europe which would free spots for the next batch of hungry guys. This expands our pool domestically and overseas.

That's what I'd do to counter that. Development is the point after all, right?

2 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

I actually don't find it hard to imagine at all.  CanPL represents a threat to MLS's marketshare in Canada.  In advance of CanPL launching, the idea that MLS might snatch up Canadian talent make sense to me - for a couple of reasons:

- it makes it harder for CanPL to field teams that are even close to MLS level (since affordable players at or just below MLS level would now be in MLS)

- it gives MLS more ammunition to compete with CanPL on the patriotism angle

- as mentioned before, it sets them up to loan out players and solidifying the MLS as "parent club" image that they were trying to achieve by seeking to put their developmental teams in CanPL

Maybe that all sounds conspiratorial, but it seems highly coincidental to me that the recent concessions on domestics, the acquisition of multiple Canadians, etc, have happened since CanPL started really gaining momentum.

When you put it that way it seems plausable. 

Sorry guys but I don't see LAFC being worried  or primarily concerned with the "threat" of the CPL as the motivation for their signings as they enter MLS play for their first year. Montalgiani's efforts in pushing the domestic player issue with MLS were probably helped by the existence of the formally announced plans to start the league which in turn has probably helped a player like Kaye get signed as a domestic - but I think that's as far as the influence goes at this stage. Marc Dos Santos being there has a lot more to do with it, I suspect, particularly with a signing like Jakovic which doesn't strike me as something made with long-term goals in mind but merely as cover for the inaugural season. It wouldn't surprise me if Jakovic next year is in the CPL anyway, assuming the league gets off the ground for 2019 as planned.

2 hours ago, hamiltonfan said:

I’m not convinced. CPL teams certainly aren’t going to spending material coin on buying fringe CMNT players or frankly any players.

I believe this is the result of having a Canadian in the management ranks. Marc did the same thing with San Francisco. Well done MDS!

And a bit with SKC2 (actual team name escapes me at the moment, but Didic and Pasher both signed with him there I believe).