Jump to content
Vince193

Jonathan David

Recommended Posts

18 minutes ago, Big_M said:

30M is the transfer fee not his salary

I'm sure Lille is only paying him minimum wage, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

 

Screenshot_20200807-115923.png

image.png.92704838c50a9ebeaad4234c3e3dc330.png

 

.....😐

Probably a CFL fan wondering why his league of choice can't make big money international superstars.

Edited by Macksam

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, baulderdash77 said:

Usually the player gets about 10% of the transfer price so they don’t sandbag the negotiations.

I’m sure David did ok personally in this deal.

Would that be in a signing bonus kind of thing (paid by the buyer), on top of the transfer, or do they actually get 10% of the fee from the selling club?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I've come up with another of my proverbially lucid thoughts, between layers of my Reuben sandwich, in the little bubbles between the cheese and that luncheon meat, on a formerly typically drizzly day in Vancouver. I somehow found time to squeeze this in, miracle of the post-human brain. Must be my 3% Neeanderthal at work. 

What was I saying, oh yes: Wolverhampton Wolves. Seriously. Wolves as you know has been hit by financial fair play sanctions, and in that article today it mentioned Lille was threatened as well. I realize everyone knows where I am going with this so I'll just take a pause, a piss, and post anyways.

Okay, no piss quite yet, post-human prostrate kicking in. Really it is not at all in Lille's interest to be overpaying for David, or for announcing a high payment for him. That exposes them to more scrutiny, as they are another team spending more than they are really making, even with the provisions for lowered income from Covid. So this means the negotiation position from Gent is really nasty. They ask for more, and want Lille to announce it with cymbals and chimes. They know that Lille would much prefer to declare a lower fee, and that it would benefit Lille immensely to have the fee paid over a few years, in installments, with added bonuses, so it would not bear fully on this fiscal (or is it football season?) year. 

If Transfermarkt is saying his worth in fact less than 30 million, then that just raises the question even more: why is Lille overpaying? I don't get it. Take a lower fee, let them pay you the rest in future years, or take a chunk under the table like the fine Flemish gentlement they are, and everyone trés content.

Back to the Reuben.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I've come up with another of my proverbially lucid thoughts, between layers of my Reuben sandwich, in the little bubbles between the cheese and that luncheon meat, on a formerly typically drizzly day in Vancouver. I somehow found time to squeeze this in, miracle of the post-human brain. Must be my 3% Neeanderthal at work. 

What was I saying, oh yes: Wolverhampton Wolves. Seriously. Wolves as you know has been hit by financial fair play sanctions, and in that article today it mentioned Lille was threatened as well. I realize everyone knows where I am going with this so I'll just take a pause, a piss, and post anyways.

Okay, no piss quite yet, post-human prostrate kicking in. Really it is not at all in Lille's interest to be overpaying for David, or for announcing a high payment for him. That exposes them to more scrutiny, as they are another team spending more than they are really making, even with the provisions for lowered income from Covid. So this means the negotiation position from Gent is really nasty. They ask for more, and want Lille to announce it with cymbals and chimes. They know that Lille would much prefer to declare a lower fee, and that it would benefit Lille immensely to have the fee paid over a few years, in installments, with added bonuses, so it would not bear fully on this fiscal (or is it football season?) year. 

If Transfermarkt is saying his worth in fact less than 30 million, then that just raises the question even more: why is Lille overpaying? I don't get it. Take a lower fee, let them pay you the rest in future years, or take a chunk under the table like the fine Flemish gentlement they are, and everyone trés content.

Back to the Reuben.

Do you know how hard it was for me not to grab a Reuben for dinner tonight?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Obinna said:

Do you know how hard it was for me not to grab a Reuben for dinner tonight?

We can't get Reubens in Spain. I come back summers to Canada and think Reubens, Clubhouse, Eggs Benedict, and rhubarb. 

It's really nasty of Gent to push the negotiation like this. If you want to sell to a team under investigation you don't force them into financial overexposure. You're going to make extra off their unfair solvency, so damn well tone it down. It shows bad faith--every rival Lille has in the game wants to expose them, you're hack if you think you should. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Would that be in a signing bonus kind of thing (paid by the buyer), on top of the transfer, or do they actually get 10% of the fee from the selling club?

I’m not an expert and don’t know how the payments are structured.  I just read and remembered from a previous article not related to David that players normally get about 10%.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hopefully he is not actually injured. They could just say he is unavailable and keep it like that. It's not like it's a secret Gent and Lille are negotiating...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, baulderdash77 said:

I’m not an expert and don’t know how the payments are structured.  I just read and remembered from a previous article not related to David that players normally get about 10%.
 

You might be recalling an article posted some time ago on the Davies negotiations. Whitecaps refused to follow the usual custom of giving Davies the 10% of their payment from Bayern. Bayern paid Davies directly to keep him happy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ed_S said:

You might be recalling an article posted some time ago on the Davies negotiations. Whitecaps refused to follow the usual custom of giving Davies the 10% of their payment from Bayern. Bayern paid Davies directly to keep him happy. 

I might be wrong but I think that's an MLS policy not a Whitecaps policy 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/7/2020 at 3:44 PM, Bison44 said:

Would that be in a signing bonus kind of thing (paid by the buyer), on top of the transfer, or do they actually get 10% of the fee from the selling club?

About this, some of the comments are not accurate. 

First, signing bonuses vary. The highest will always go to a player who holds out to the end of a contract, without renewing, and then goes on a free transfer. Major signing bonus, not as a percentage of course, but both in salary incentives and even higher base salary, and in bonus. Logically. 

Then there is no standard signing bonus, this % business is random. You can't say 10% is standard, as it depends on the deal. And what the player negotiates.

And who else is bidding. We have not heard of rival offers, though I would imagine they do exist, otherwise Gent would not have argued for more. If a players chooses a new team over another making a similar offer, that is a primary source of a signing bonus. It rewards the gesture in favour of one club over another. Also if a player in a situation like David's refuses to go to a certain club outright (which being under contract he has the right to do, say he refuses to go to Qatar for 35 million), the club he ends up at should reward that even more, and especially if it is clear the offer was lower than the rival offer.

As David has not held out until contract's end, and has not pushed Lille clearly over a rival bid, the main sources of bonuses are not available to him. 

That said, his statement in favour of Lille, and pressuring Gent, could warrant a bonus, but lesser than in the two scenarios described above.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/8/2020 at 7:06 AM, Unnamed Trialist said:

We can't get Reubens in Spain. I come back summers to Canada and think Reubens, Clubhouse, Eggs Benedict, and rhubarb. 

It's really nasty of Gent to push the negotiation like this. If you want to sell to a team under investigation you don't force them into financial overexposure. You're going to make extra off their unfair solvency, so damn well tone it down. It shows bad faith--every rival Lille has in the game wants to expose them, you're hack if you think you should. 

What does Gent have to do with Lille? David has a contract and Lille wants their player. Gent has EVERY RIGHT to play it as hard as possible. They took the chance on David and got him to extend his contract. Well played. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...