Jump to content
Vince193

Jonathan David

Recommended Posts

You guys complain too much, who needs bundasliga??  I very much enjoyed the Korean baseball on TSN this morning,  And I think there is some frisbee football on later today.  I'm sure TSN makes loads of cash of this trash.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Strait Red said:

Or re-runs of NHL/NBA/MLB games?

maybe when David transfers and if the Larin rumours become factual, they might consider showing more games on the “non-Sportsnet World “ channels

I hope we see Davies, David, Larin and Millar all in the Bundesliga next season. Then I hope Dusseldorf and Bremen get regulated, leaving Reyna, Mckennie, Adams and Brooks as the only Americans in the division. 

Maybe then ESPN FC would have to settle for a "North" Americans in the Bundesliga power rankings :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/30/2020 at 3:06 PM, Bison44 said:

You guys complain too much, who needs bundasliga??  I very much enjoyed the Korean baseball on TSN this morning,  And I think there is some frisbee football on later today.  I'm sure TSN makes loads of cash of this trash.  

ULTIMATE frisbee?  Ohhhhh....   

What we really need is some no-holds-barred EXTREME frisbee.  Full contact, played with a circular say blade. 

And a 14" blade.  None of this pussy 10" stuff. 

  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/30/2020 at 4:06 PM, Bison44 said:

You guys complain too much, who needs bundasliga??  I very much enjoyed the Korean baseball on TSN this morning,  And I think there is some frisbee football on later today.  I'm sure TSN makes loads of cash of this trash.  

I know you're joking, but TSN can't show Bundesliga even if they wanted to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Just came here to post about Newcastle as well. Here is another one from what looks to be a fan blog, but it cites a Spanish article:

https://www.nufcblog.com/2020/06/01/report-newcastle-linked-with-prolific-north-american-phenom/

https://www.todofichajes.com/el-newcastle-negocia-el-fichaje-de-jonathan-david/

 

If the Newcastle takeover goes through and they become the next Man City, bringing in expensive signings and whatnot, it may not be so bad for David. 

A word of caution though: Junior Hoilett left Blackburn for QPR when the club had new, rich ownership. We know what happened next. Regulation and Hoilett spent some important development years in the Championship. I would hate to see that happen to David. 

Edited by Obinna

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Just came here to post about Newcastle as well. Here is another one from what looks to be a fan blog, but it cites a Spanish article:

https://www.nufcblog.com/2020/06/01/report-newcastle-linked-with-prolific-north-american-phenom/

https://www.todofichajes.com/el-newcastle-negocia-el-fichaje-de-jonathan-david/

 

If the Newcastle takeover goes through and they become the next Man City, bringing in expensive signings and whatnot, it may not be so bad for David. 

A word of caution though: Junior Hoilett left Blackburn for QPR when the club had new, rich ownership. We know what happened next. Regulation and Hoilett spent some important development years in the Championship. I would hate to see that happen to David. 

It only makes sense for David to go there or he may as well go to Arsenal since under Arteta, they are set to go through a youth movement 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Some other players linked to Newcastle recently:

- Philippe Courtinho

- Danny Rose

- John Stones

- Ross Barkley

- Valentino Lazaro

- Edison Cavani

- Gonzolo Higuain 

- Wilfred Zaha

- Xherdan Shaqiri

- Facundo Pellistri

Edited by Obinna

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Obinna said:

A word of caution though: Junior Hoilett left Blackburn for QPR when the club had new, rich ownership. We know what happened next. Regulation and Hoilett spent some important development years in the Championship. I would hate to see that happen to David. 

This is exactly what I thought of when I saw JuicyHam's comment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, Kent said:

This is exactly what I thought of when I saw JuicyHam's comment.

I am concerned that Gent will take the Newcastle money. I don't think any Bundesliga clubs are going to offer Gent 35 Million Euros.

Again, I am concerned, but the Newcastle move could be good. He may get to play alongside some world class players, but sadly we have seen this story before ...

I think it depends on how hastily Newcastle go about rebuilding the club. Talent only takes you so far. You still need consistency and leadership. I kind of scoff at how Man City bought their success, but at least they did it the right way, to their credit. They gradually added a few pieces every year until they reached critical mass.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but QPR did not do that. They basically gutted the team who survived relegation by a single point, in their first EPL season in 15 years, and replaced them with new team full of brand-name talented players who just couldn't gel quick enough.

They brought in Ryan Nelsen, Park Ji-Sung, Julio Cesar, Stephane Mbia, Loic Remy, Jermaine Jenas, Jose Bosingwa, Andy Johnson, Christopher Samba, Robert Green and more... all in the same season. That was kind of insane now looking back at it.

On a positive note, Newcastle already have a decent base of players. They sit 13th in the table right now. The temptation to gut the team shouldn't be so great. If they just get rid of a few Yedlin-types and replace them with Danny Rose-types, it may not be so bad. Just a few incremental upgrades and not too many, that is the key. Sure a couple of them can be youngsters like David, but for sure they'll need one proven match winner and at least one veteran leader with experience winning, just to bring a good influence. A James Milnar type, although nobody linked to them strikes me as that sort. Maybe Shaqiri? He's won a lot with Liverpool and Bayern.

Edited by Obinna

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Newcastle works but if they are trying to buy their success and David playing alongside world class players may not be a bad idea. However, wouldn't he sort of get lost in the shuffle? At least at Arsenal he would have much more of a better chance at not just playing time but being a bigger star under Mikel Arteta at Arsenal especially since they appear to be going young with their players. Hell, you can even throw Everton into the mix for Jonathan David.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like Newcastle but not the way they look to be going about this remake. If you want your player to go through a natural transition to a higher level, it has to be somewhere the team is put together more naturally. Not with an absurd cash injection, overpaying, and the factors of stress that go with all that. And where David is not under undue pressure, or won't be thrown onto the bench as the club gets nervous about not meeting their unreasonable goals (they'll want to be in the top 6 I imagine).

I would prefer to see him in any club with a decent chance at a top 10 finish in the top 4 European leagues, or else a Europa League level club in France.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd be surprised if he went north.  David has the biggest say were he does or does not go, highest bidder be damned if that's his mind.  From what I've seen he's keen on going to Germany so maybe Newcastle has to convince him otherwise, show how serious they are and money is often the loudest talker in the room.  Just saying.

Everything else aside think going to St James' would be an eye opener for the man.  As a professional footballing experience that is. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Cheeta said:

I'd be surprised if he went north.  David has the biggest say were he does or does not go, highest bidder be damned if that's his mind.  From what I've seen he's keen on going to Germany so maybe Newcastle has to convince him otherwise, show how serious they are and money is often the loudest talker in the room.  Just saying.

Everything else aside think going to St James' would be an eye opener for the man.  As a professional footballing experience that is. 

It would but then he could get that if he goes to Arsenal or even Everton

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd rather none of our players be part of the latest example of sports washing by an extremely regressive, totalitarian government, personally. The past couple of months have also shown Newcastle United's previously very-likeable supporters in a pretty poor light - angrily dismissing legitimate concern about the source of their potential new wealth, attacking Jamaal Kashoggi's widow, etc.

Even if the takeover goes through, though, I don't think that Newcastle have a realistic path to becoming a Champions League regular in the short to medium term. FFP and the volume of bigger, better run clubs in front of them will be too much of an impediment for them to just step easily into the upper echelons. Anybody getting involved with the proposed project at Newcastle will need to be very patient.

I'd just prefer that JD goes to Germany, as he has stated is his preference.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, An Observer said:

If he goes to Newcastle, he will have to learn a new language. Geordie

Good effing luck with that.  

Buy me a pint someday, I'l tell you all about a night in Dundee with a pub full of Geordies singing along to Bryan Adams as performed by an American student with a music box. 

Wee Elf;

"What did he say?"

Cheeta;

"He said you're gorgeous.  You could do so much better than that.  That being me I'd guess."

Wee Elf;

"Oh, I think I like him."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

I'd rather none of our players be part of the latest example of sports washing by an extremely regressive, totalitarian government, personally. The past couple of months have also shown Newcastle United's previously very-likeable supporters in a pretty poor light - angrily dismissing legitimate concern about the source of their potential new wealth, attacking Jamaal Kashoggi's widow, etc.

Even if the takeover goes through, though, I don't think that Newcastle have a realistic path to becoming a Champions League regular in the short to medium term. FFP and the volume of bigger, better run clubs in front of them will be too much of an impediment for them to just step easily into the upper echelons. Anybody getting involved with the proposed project at Newcastle will need to be very patient.

I'd just prefer that JD goes to Germany, as he has stated is his preference.

If Germany is the goal for him and always has been the goal then realistically the only 2 teams for him to go to are either RB Leipzig as a Timo Werner replacement, or he goes to Bayern Leverkeusen 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

David and his agent have very astutely navigated his career so far. I don't think that's going to change. Moving to a team that may rebuild their squad/ gaffer means turmoil in the short to mid term. He needs stability and  continuity.

Agreed. The more I think about it the less convinced they'll go this route. I suppose that wouldn't stop the clubs from negotiating, but in the end the player and agent need to agree.

On the other hand, I am also not convinced anyone in the Bundesliga will pay anything close to 35 million euros for David. And why would Gent accept 20 million euros when someone else is offering them closer to 30 million? That's a big difference.

I am concerned Gent will just tell the other buyers he's not for sale unless they offer closer to 30 million. They are not in a hurry to sell him, if you take them at their word. They have Champions League football and from their perspective David's stock is likely to only go up. 

Interested to see how this plays out. I really hope he's in the Bundesliga next season.

Edited by Obinna

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I get that David has been smart about moves (and prospective moves) to date, but the reality is that these new ownership groups can throw absolutely stupid money around to make things happen.  Even for someone with a fairly set career plan, the idea of a huge payday would be tempting as hell.   And it’s not like these things always fall on their face.  Man City attained success fairly quickly, as did Chelsea.  There are no guarantees for sure, but the reality is that David may just have the skill set to become an immediate impact player at the latest fantasy footy club.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...