Jonathan David

Vince193

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/11991754/one2watch-gent-and-canada-striker-jonathan-david

Gent star Jonathan David says he is ready to move to a bigger club and has his sights set on the Bundesliga.

Bayern Munich are reportedly considering a summer bid for the 20-year-old Canada international, but domestic rivals RB Leipzig and Premier League duo Arsenal and Manchester United have also been credited with interest in him.

David has blossomed into a key player for the Belgian outfit, scoring 23 times in 40 appearances in the 2019-20 campaign.

The Brooklyn-born attacking midfielder is surprised by the calibre of clubs trying to sign him and feels it is time to move on to bigger and better things.

"I never knew big clubs would be interested in me so early. It's overwhelming, but I think I can make the next step," he told Sky Sports. "It's time for me to move and go somewhere where I can keep developing and get to the potential that I have.

"The league that would suit me the most right now is the Bundesliga. It's similar to the Belgian league in terms of the tempo and the physicality, but obviously the quality is higher in Germany and there is more competition."

David joined Gent two years ago and impressed in the reserve team to earn his senior debut at the start of the 2018-19 campaign. He is proud of the progress he has made and feels he was right to test himself in Europe instead of signing for an MLS side.

He said: "I didn't want to go to MLS, because I wanted to test myself in Europe. I had trials at Salzburg and Stuttgart which didn't work out. My agent then said there is another club in Belgium [Gent] and I had two trials with them and it went well so I joined.

"What was good for my development is for the first six months I just trained with the team. That allowed me to adapt to the city and the playing style and helped me adapt to the league. The level and intensity was much higher than what I had experienced before."

He added: "I only did six months with the second team and then right away I was doing pre-season with the first team, and now I'm getting better, scoring goals and everything is going good. For me it has been exceptional. I didn't think everything would go so fast, but I'm pretty happy it did."

Edited by Obinna

6 hours ago, Obinna said:

He said: "I didn't want to go to MLS, because I wanted to test myself in Europe. I had trials at Salzburg and Stuttgart which didn't work out. My agent then said there is another club in Belgium [Gent] and I had two trials with them and it went well so I joined.

I think it would be safe to say that both Salzburg and Stuttgart are kicking themselves at this point.  This is a pretty good example of the fact that talent assessment is not that easy, especially for professionals.  He was brought in specifically to be looked at and both passed on him.

Might be worth remembering this the next time someone goes on a tirade about the CSA's incompetence letting some kid slip through the cracks.  If its difficult for professionals in an isolated and directed environment, think about what it must be like for semi-professionals covering 10 million square miles and thousands of kids in each age group.

Besides with Arsenal seeing the moves that they have been making, they are looking to sell players this summer case in point players like Pierre Emerick Aubameyang but also looking to go younger too with their acquisitions in this upcoming transfer window. If David were to go to Arsenal in the Premier League, it would be as huge as Davies going to Bayern Munich.

5 hours ago, Strait Red said:

There is a mini interview on TSN’s Instagram page and David states he is most interested (still) in playing in the Bundesliga. I’m hoping for Dortmund to step up with a bid and get him playing with Haaland.

Well they have Haaland and Sancho already there playing up front...so really do they need David? Unless Sancho were leaving this summer, then David would be a good replacement for him.

3 hours ago, gigi riva said:

I am hoping he goes to the Bundesliga  I think he will mature as a player there . And lets face the Bundesliga is not a bad league to play in I think it is terribly under rated . I think RB Leipzig wil be a good spot for him,

Bundesliga as a league is really underrated compared to the other European leagues. Well, Leipzig would be ideal especially if Timo Werner is for sure leaving this summer but that is only if that's the case.

On 5/23/2020 at 12:08 AM, TGAA_Star said:

Bundesliga as a league is really underrated compared to the other European leagues. Well, Leipzig would be ideal especially if Timo Werner is for sure leaving this summer but that is only if that's the case.

A good spot for David would be Fiorentina with the news of Chiesa leaving for Juve he can replace him there

Edited by gigi riva

I doubt David would move to Juve if his plan is to take a small step up. 

Has Wolfsburg been linked to him?

Bundesliga? Check

Possibility of European football? Check (they occupy the final EL spot)

Would he get minutes there? Check

Could they afford him? Check (probably)

Plus they have played against him, so they know what he is about. Seems like the right level of club, as much as I want a sexier move to Dortmund or RB Leipzig (trying to look past the branding).

At Wolfsburg I don't think pressure would be as big either. Yes the fans would expect the club to compete, with David as the key piece, but what are their aspirations? Probably to go deep in the EL and qualify again for Europe. Stretch goal would be to qualify for Champions League.

That is not the same pressure as going to Dortmund or Leipzig for €20 million-ish. If they spend that money, it is to give them another weapon to help push them past Bayern so they can win the title. That's what they spent on Halaand, I think. And that's a lot of pressure.

What do you guys think of David to Wolfsburg?

By the way, I see that Perisic played in Belgium (for Club Brugges) early in his career, where he put up similar numbers to David, then he went to Wolfsburg and put up strong numbers again.

Edited by Obinna

4 hours ago, Bison44 said:

I still dont see whats so wrong with coming back next year, being the best player in Jupiter league 2 years in a row??  

I don't think there is anything "so wrong" with going back to Gent. It's better than making a bad move. However, at some point he will have to leave Belgium if he wants to improve. 

I think we all can agree that Davies is a better player now than he would have been had he stayed in MLS with Vancouver. 

The same applies to David.

Edited by Obinna

After reading various opinions, have to say: Bayern just might be a good move. First, his position would be similar to Müller's, with mobility behind the target. Second, Müller is amazing but getting on, they need a longer term replacement and don't really have any clear one (Goretzka perhaps, but he's a bit different). They also need someone with goal scoring instinct, in case Lewandowski gets injured. Not a bad fit I don't think.

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

After reading various opinions, have to say: Bayern just might be a good move. First, his position would be similar to Müller's, with mobility behind the target. Second, Müller is amazing but getting on, they need a longer term replacement and don't really have any clear one (Goretzka perhaps, but he's a bit different). They also need someone with goal scoring instinct, in case Lewandowski gets injured. Not a bad fit I don't think.

Having both of our young Daves playing together at club level could certainly benefit the national team, as well.

10 hours ago, Bison44 said:

I still dont see whats so wrong with coming back next year, being the best player in Jupiter league 2 years in a row??  

If you take a look at the step up that Davies has last you can see the effect of elite coaching and practicing against better players.

Staying at Gent again as a player too good for that level will not improve his game as much as pushing for a better situation to make him better.

5 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Agreed! I've been saying this since the rumours first started. There would be a clear path forward at Bayern because of the ages of the players in his main positions. He wouldn't have the pressure of leading the team immediately, but I think he'd still be given plenty of opportunities from the get go. Plus I would absolutely love to see Davies and David play together at the highest stage week in week out.