Jonathan David

Vince193

Of course no idea where he will be next year (and when or if next year will be) but if he is at Gent, it seems they will probably be in the Champions League qualifying rounds, with their current second place.

"The Belgian Pro League have since said they have received assurances from Uefa that they would not force leagues to continue.

And there have been reports that Uefa vice-president, Michele Uva, has said clubs could be admitted to European competition next term even if they abandon their current seasons. But that abandonment would have to be on the back of a government decree."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52152106

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

Not sure if this got posted before, nice package of David highlights with canada from youtube.  Just turn the sound down, terrible music.  

Hey, we all got our musical tastes. I personally like the music in many highlight videos. I like this one especially. Guilty pleasure of mine I suppose :)

6 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Not sure if this got posted before, nice package of David highlights with canada from youtube.  Just turn the sound down, terrible music.  

FIFA actually passed a rule a few years ago stating that player highlights can only legally be uploaded to YouTube if they are overlayed by EDM tracks mixed by a d-bag in Gucci sunglasses.

It's probably because it won't be shut down quickly. I know that people have had issues just retweeting a youtube video of David scoring a goal from an unofficial source. I wouldn't retweet any youtube video having anything with Belgian soccer unless it's by the club or the league itself.

From an interview with Gent coach: https://www.bold.dk/fodbold/nyheder/jess-thorup-gent-juvel-havner-i-en-storklub/

David content:

onathan David has been brought under the wings of Jess Thorup, and the Dane predicts his Canadian comet a great future, while he himself strives for a relatively open and Danish style in Belgian Ghent.

Jess Thorup was close to a guy's note in Belgian Ghent a year ago, but the Dane saved himself at the last minute with a strong tactical maneuver.

And since then the former FC Midtjylland coach has established himself as a definite success coach in the Belgian top club. Read more about Thorup's ride here.

bold.dk brings here the second part of a longer interview with 50-year-old Thorup. The first part can be read here, and the third part follows Sunday.

Happiness turned for Ghent and Thorup when the Dane switched to a 4–4-2 system with a diamond in the middle at the end of last season.

That meant, among other things, that 20-year-old Canadian attacking talent Jonathan David was jerked on the central offensive midfield. And David has since exploded with 27 goals and 10 assists in 43 games, making him one of the hottest sales leads in Belgium and Europe in general.

- When I came to the club, David was just 18 years old and had a few bucks, but he didn't play.

- When I first saw him, I thought he was amazing. A player of that age with the finishing skills is very rare to see. And at the same time, he is an incredibly intelligent player.

- But I don't think he was the typical 9's who can play with his back towards the goal, because he is not strong enough for that. To me he is more of a fake 9's or a 10's because he is the one who runs the most yards for us in matches. He works hard in the press and has a good connection with the two attackers and the two 8s.

- He is probably the greatest talent I have worked with, and I think I can safely say that there is no limit to how far he can go.

- I hope, of course, that we can keep him for one more season where it all plays, but then he will probably move on to one of the big clubs in the big leagues. There is no doubt about that.

On 4/14/2020 at 10:01 PM, Aird25 said:

I can't wait to see where this kid ends up next season. I'll be disappointed if it's not with a champions league team

I still think Lyon is the right level of club for David, but considering the Bundesliga is his preference, I think Bayer Leverkusen seems about right, just in terms of club size and his chances of playing.

However, Dortmund would be amazing! Unfortunately though, I have questions about where he'd fit...

Giovanni Reyna is on the come up as a No. 10 spot and David would stifle his development (not that I care, but perhaps Dortmund wouldn't want that). Let's not forget Gotze is still at Dortmund too. 

David could theoretically play on the wing, but it remains to be seen if he can do it at the top level, plus he'd be compared to Sancho I am afraid, so David playing out wide for Dortmund makes me uncomfortable. 

I think David and Haaland up top as a pair would be a dynamic and dangerous combination, but Dortmund usually play with a front 3. Of course they can play differently, but would they? David would give them the flexibility to throw out that alternative look, but is that best for him? Is it better for David to go to another club, where he has a defined role, and where he's a central figure?

So big question marks surrounding Dortmund for me, even though they are incredible at developing young players.

In England I think Wolves would be a great fit. They play on the break, David is fantastic on the break. It makes sense. Plus it's a club where he can probably get a lot of reps and maybe continue playing in the Europa league.

Edited by Obinna

On 4/16/2020 at 11:37 AM, Obinna said:

I still think Lyon is the right level of club for David, but considering the Bundesliga is his preference, I think Bayer Leverkusen seems about right, just in terms of club size and his chances of playing.

However, Dortmund would be amazing! Unfortunately though, I have questions about where he'd fit...

Giovanni Reyna is on the come up as a No. 10 spot and David would stifle his development (not that I care, but perhaps Dortmund wouldn't want that). Let's not forget Gotze is still at Dortmund too. 

David could theoretically play on the wing, but it remains to be seen if he can do it at the top level, plus he'd be compared to Sancho I am afraid, so David playing out wide for Dortmund makes me uncomfortable. 

I think David and Haaland up top as a pair would be a dynamic and dangerous combination, but Dortmund usually play with a front 3. Of course they can play differently, but would they? David would give them the flexibility to throw out that alternative look, but is that best for him? Is it better for David to go to another club, where he has a defined role, and where he's a central figure?

So big question marks surrounding Dortmund for me, even though they are incredible at developing young players.

In England I think Wolves would be a great fit. They play on the break, David is fantastic on the break. It makes sense. Plus it's a club where he can probably get a lot of reps and maybe continue playing in the Europa league.

Great post. Before I scrolled up I thought this was UT. 😉

I know we would like David to move wherever  but when and if he moves is still up in the air.  So I am still watching Gent and their league.  

UEFA said yesterday it would not punish anyone for cancelling their season and the Jupiler has said that they will use their current standings.  So when there is a Champions League again, Gent should be in the qualifying rounds. 

Also Belgium is up there with us in being one of the worst hit per capita by this thing, so I wish him the best if he is still there (or anywhere for that matter.)  

8 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

I know we would like David to move wherever  but when and if he moves is still up in the air.  So I am still watching Gent and their league.  

UEFA said yesterday it would not punish anyone for cancelling their season and the Jupiler has said that they will use their current standings.  So when there is a Champions League again, Gent should be in the qualifying rounds. 

Also Belgium is up there with us in being one of the worst hit per capita by this thing, so I wish him the best if he is still there (or anywhere for that matter.)  

The statement I highlighted above is an understatement. Belgium has been MUCH more worse off than Canada. They are right up there with Spain, it just doesn't get press here.

If worldometers is accurate, Belgium has the 2nd most cases per capita among countries with a population of at least 1 million. We are 24th by that metric. Belgium has nearly 3.5 times the number of cases per capita as us. Belgium has the most deaths per capita among countries with a population of at least 1 million, with 9.5 times the number of deaths per capita as us. We are 15th in the world in deaths per capita among countries with a population of at least 1 million.

4 hours ago, Kent said:

The statement I highlighted above is an understatement. Belgium has been MUCH more worse off than Canada. They are right up there with Spain, it just doesn't get press here.

If worldometers is accurate, Belgium has the 2nd most cases per capita among countries with a population of at least 1 million. We are 24th by that metric. Belgium has nearly 3.5 times the number of cases per capita as us. Belgium has the most deaths per capita among countries with a population of at least 1 million, with 9.5 times the number of deaths per capita as us. We are 15th in the world in deaths per capita among countries with a population of at least 1 million.

He's quite likely referring to the UK who are sadly in the thick of it right now. 

10 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

He's quite likely referring to the UK who are sadly in the thick of it right now. 

Ah yes, you are probably right. In that case Belgium has about 50% more cases Per Capita and about double the deaths Per Capita of the UK.

6 hours ago, Aird25 said:

Yeah, sorry, if that wasn't clear.  

Comparing across countries is not that helpful because of how differently everybody tests and records things, so sorry for that as well.  (Belgium reports everything, from my understanding, the UK doesn't for instance) 

I guess the point is I wish him and everybody the best in the face of this, wherever they are.