Jonathan David

Vince193

19 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

Another article about David transferring this summer. Mentions Arsenal, Manchester United and Bayern Munich.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2879150-10-wonderkids-you-need-to-know-ahead-of-the-summer-transfer-window

David is arguably playing at the weakest club from all those mentioned (there are two player from AZ Alkmaar on the list). 

Impressive to see him make lists such as this. I hope he makes a good move this summer.

20 minutes ago, Ruffian said:

I hope this whole COIVD-19 thing does not affect club finances so much that it disrupts David's career progress into better leagues.

This is not a concern whatsoever.  Most club money comes from TV deals, which will be unaffected and a few games with empty stadiums won't make a dent.

1 hour ago, Ruffian said:

I hope this whole COIVD-19 thing does not affect club finances so much that it disrupts David's career progress into better leagues.

Also not worried about it. Things will return to normal in due time. I don't anticipate that clubs in the higher echelons that are willing to dish out +€20M on a single player will suddenly curtail their spending. In fact, smaller clubs like Gent are more likely to be affected, so that may actually encourage the selling of players such as David.

14 hours ago, Ruffian said:

Just saying, Barça loses 6 millions they say by playing Napoli in an empty stadium. So I think that does indeed cut into general funds, even being 1% of club budget. 

• 3 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, LeoH037 said:

Now you've done it, you said the B word.  UT will be here with the inside scoop in a few minutes.  

Original story from the Catalan press.  @Unnamed Trialist how reliable is this?

https://www.mundodeportivo.com/futbol/fc-barcelona/20200401/48258989062/jonatahn-david-barca.html

If the Griezmann to PSG swap deal goes through we could see Barca line up with a front three of Neymar, Messi, and....... the Iceman!

10 hours ago, LeoH037 said:

Unno, but there seems to be more to this than it just being an April Fools joke

There was one of the Spanish sports dailies reporting several weeks ago about Real Madrid carefully watching him, if so, it would seem to reason Barca would also have some interested, even if to only drive up the price if Madrid was truly interested.

The Belgian league will announce shortly that the remainder of the season is cancelled.

Gent finishes as runners up and will start next year in the 3rd round of Champions league qualifying. David also finishes as joint winner of the golden boot with 18 goals, although I am not sure how the tiebreaker is determined. David has more assists and less games played than Mbokani.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/belgian-jupiler-pro-league-calls-off-season-club-brugge-celebrate-title-on-the-couch/view/news/358040

Edited by Stryker911

1 hour ago, Stryker911 said:

The Belgian league will announce shortly that the remainder of the season is cancelled.

Gent finishes as runners up and will start next year in the 3rd round of Champions league qualifying. David also finishes as joint winner of the golden boot with 18 goals...

Hollowly good news for them as they were faltering a bit after going out of the Europa League.

I will say this on the transfer talk, journos have even less facts to report than normal so I would take everything with a grain of salt.  

Also big clubs are losing big money and so fees may not be huge coming out of this.  Buyers market, as a result is what I read.  People maybe staying put for a bit.  Hopefully we can really care about that in the not super distant future.

20 hours ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

Original story from the Catalan press.  @Unnamed Trialist how reliable is this?

https://www.mundodeportivo.com/futbol/fc-barcelona/20200401/48258989062/jonatahn-david-barca.html

If the Griezmann to PSG swap deal goes through we could see Barca line up with a front three of Neymar, Messi, and....... the Iceman!

As soon as I saw the byline I perked up: Cristina Cubero is a journalist who almost always has inside information that is reliable, I don't know how she does it, but she has been around a long time, keeps a low profile after being a lot on tv, and just does her articles.

Also, Mundo Deportivo is very pro the current board and rarely does anything to rock the boat. Their leaks tend to be more official, from the club, though that does not mean much. 

So that article should be taken seriously. Still, it is still a negotiation and there are quite a few players, bidders, and the like, a sound suspicion is still only that. 

I won't get into the internal politics of the club, but they do factor in.

Further comments on that piece. 

Lot of comments on it, which surprises me, no one is paying much attention to sports news lately. As it argues that the coronavirus will probably push bidding negotiations down by 40%, as clubs are losing money, most argue that a 15 million euro investment is better than what they are proposing to pay for Lautaro, or to get Neymar back. 

Barça as you have probably heard has made an agreement with the players, they are dropping their monthly paycheques by 72%. Part of that ensures the club staff are paid 100% their salaries. Since the club tried to make it look like they were unwilling, Messi and all the players put out a statement directly criticising the board for trying to sway public opinion against them. Saying they had always been clear about their decision to lower their wages voluntarily (At Madrid just did this today).  Barça after-tax salaries are the highest in the world, averaging 11 million euros. I think Messi makes 52 after taxes in salary.

If David walks into Barça for a 15-20 million transfer, he might accept it and insist over another club's higher bid because his salary will be higher than probably any other club, except maybe Madrid or la Juve, Man City maybe. He knows he has to let Gent get the maximum, or close, but also Gent has to let him get a deal he approves of. 

The board-player relationship right now is terrible, and many fans are also not too pleased with the poor management of the club. As it is fan owned, we have elections next year, so we are moving into a pre-election phase (I won't vote for this board, even though I know personally one person in upper management whose job depends on it).

Since the season has not played out, it is hard to judge the performance and evaluate success or failure on the year. This makes new signings harder to read, though it is clear Suárez is getting on and is injured too much, Dembele just plain injured, Griezmann is underperforming. And even Messi has had some poorer outings, like he's slower and his finishing is down, though still leads the league in scoring. So the team does need a striker: a Lautaro - David combination could make sense. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist