Jonathan David

Vince193

1 hour ago, Aird25 said:

Great. But what parts did you disagree with? I just asked why people prefer Dortmund over other options. I don’t think they’ve played much 4231 since Haaland joined btw. 

Pretty sure they've lined up that way at least once since he joined. I think it was Gotze who started at the CAM spot on that occasion, and it was a domestic game as far as I recall.

I took from your post that you thought Dortmund wouldn't be a good fit, to which I would disagree. I can now see though that you never actually said that, you just posed the question, so I retract that :) 

3 hours ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

Let's just assume for a second Gent get €20 million for David. How much (if any) will his amateur clubs in Ottawa get of that? He was there immediately before going to Gent, so hopefully they would get something!

There's usually a development fee when teams buy players to all of the teams the player had played for prior (they'll receive some percentage or fraction of a percentage).  

17 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

€1 M is a lot of money for these clubs.  Not wanting to sound like Robert-Lite, I really hope that if this windfall appears, that the local clubs don’t bicker too much about its distribution and use.  Money can make people and ideas go crazy.

Yup.

I use to volunteer at a youth softball association that got a nice government grant one year. The money was squandered on useless shit after a few seasons.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/11114830/arsenal-blow-bayern-david-race/

Here is another:

http://www.footnews.be/news/184177/un-grand-club-europeen-entre-dans-la-danse-pour-jonathan-david

Jonathan David is perhaps currently the best player on Belgian lawns and the interest is growing for the young Canadian. According to foreign media, Bayern Munich is now interested even if according to our sources, the chances of going there are quite low.

According to Interdipendenza, the Ghent striker would have a clear preference for the German championship, as we announced to you a few months ago. The striker is expected to leave the Buffalos next summer.

Several Bundesliga clubs have heard the news and Bayern have inquired. With Alphonso Davies, the leader of the German championship already has a Canadian in his ranks. Ghent has already announced that it will not accept any offer below 25 million euros.

Edited by Obinna

Not sure if I want David to go to Bayern. Not because he is not good enough, but because I feel it will be harder for him to break into the starting XI (I don't want to see him wasted in a bench) than it was for Davies. Davies was struck a bit of luck when he was placed at LB due to all the injuries Bayern was suffering, and he also has had Alaba to mentor him and ease his transition into a fullback, and I don't see lightning striking twice for David. David is in a crucial step of his career where he needs to be playing every week in order to keep getting better.

5 minutes ago, LeoH037 said:

Not sure if I want David to go to Bayern. Not because he is not good enough, but because I feel it will be harder for him to break into the starting XI (I don't want to see him wasted in a bench) than it was for Davies. Davies was struck a bit of luck when he was placed at LB due to all the injuries Bayern was suffering, and he also has had Alaba to mentor him and ease his transition into a fullback, and I don't see lightning striking twice for David. David is in a crucial step of his career where he needs to be playing every week in order to keep getting better.

I tend to agree. It would be cool and I think he could fit in well, but I suppose there is no need to make such a big jump. Even going to Dortmund would be a big jump, but I think at least minutes would come easier there, or Leverkusen, or Leipzig, or Monchengladbach.

Everyone wants a slice of Jonathan David!

To play devil's advocate, the success of Davies could give them more patience with David. Nonetheless, point taken.

Edited by Obinna

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

I tend to agree. It would be cool and I think he could fit in well, but I suppose there is no need to make such a big jump. Even going to Dortmund would be a big jump, but I think at least minutes would come easier there, or Leverkusen, or Leipzig, or Monchengladbach.

Everyone wants a slice of Jonathan David!

To play devil's advocate, the success of Davies could give them more patience with David. Nonetheless, point taken.

Dortmond and Bayern would be fantastic but your right that there isn't the need to go to one of them right now.  He could still land on a top team that would have European football but would look to him as a key piece of their team rather than another weapon in the armory.   

David could do really well at Leverkusen with Bailey and Havertz.  If they could grab a CL spot come the end of the season I think that would be a great landing spot.

15 hours ago, baulderdash77 said:

While I would really love him to be at Bayern; I’m not sure if he would get enough playing time.  

I’d like him to be with one of the other Bundesliga teams where he can get a starting spot and service.  Dortmund or Leverkusen would be perfect I think.

What makes you so sure he is a starter at BvB ? 

19 minutes ago, king1010 said:

Nothings a sure thing but hed have a better shot at starting at dortmund than bayern. 

that's super debatable..... 

Dortmund is younger and deeper up front than Bayern is... they just don't have Lewandowski (anymore)

Edited by Oranje

10 hours ago, Obinna said:

Anyone see the 4-1 loss today? How did he play? Gent have dropped two league games in a row now. First time all season? The Europa league run must have took the wind from their sails a bit..

I watched the game on stream.  Overall, Gent was pretty bad and the score was indicative of the play.  David didn't look as sharp as usual but the whole team seemed to be running in sand.

David had the hockey assist on the lone goal. In the video, the Gent goal starts around 1:37.

https://www.proximus-sports.be/index.php/nl/voetbal/jupiler-pro-league/video/28209/samenvatting-kaa-gent-sporting-charleroi

A lot of forwards in David's position would've just attempted a shot on goal and it looked like he was about to shoot at the top of the box but he recognized the run by Bezus and slotted the pass over,