Jonathan David

Vince193

17 minutes ago, Yoginess said:

I mean Pulisic is still a very good player IMO. I just want David to be better

A lot of fans seem to think you can't talk about your best players without putting down another teams best players. It's like this in every sport. 

Pulisic is a great player when healthy and will continue to get better. David is a great player and will continue to get better. There's no sense in comparing them since they are very different players. 

3 minutes ago, DavemTFC said:

Would be weird to root for David to score goals while also wanting him to lose game

Unfortunately the two seemed to be linked.

Most of the top half Premier League linked in papertalk the last couple days.  So I am having similar worries.

At least they haven't included Sean Bean's Blades.

14 minutes ago, DavemTFC said:

RB have a VERY good track record of developing young players. If course, it's RB.

Would be weird to root for David to score goals while also wanting him to lose games

I am not a Bayern fan at all, I almost always want them to lose, in league at least. Fortunately, the other day, they played Chelsea so I could actually support them fully for once.

3 hours ago, Obinna said:

Bayern or Dortmund but no Leipzig pls thx!

3 hours ago, DavemTFC said:

RB have a VERY good track record of developing young players. If course, it's RB.

Would be weird to root for David to score goals while also wanting him to lose games

It would just suck for general conversation with the casual or non footy fan.  “Hey we have this other amazing Canadian in Germany” .. “what team is he on?” .. “red bull!” .. *enthusiasm dies* 

Theres just nothing endearing about playing for RB Leipzig.  Now contrast that with being on a traditional big club like Real Madrid, Bayern etc.. 

Was just about to post the same thing.

The Arsenal links aren't going away. Mixed feelings about whether I want him to go there. I am hoping for a Bundesliga move.

There may be a lot of pressure considering the recent failings of the Gunners. It's a big club and one that I always liked growing up, but perhaps not the best environment for David.

If he was going to England I might prefer the foxes or perhaps wolves, although I can't remember if the latter are linked to him. Hard to keep track since so many clubs want him. Those two clubs are strong but with lower expectations, so for David that could be better. Both will likely be in Europe too, so more games to go around. I don't think the gunners make Europe this season.

Edited by Obinna

1 hour ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

With the list of suitors, I am surprised the price is not higher

I think it goes like this: if someone in the potential buying club leaks interest, they lowball the transfer figure. No club wants to be seen as overpaying for a player, especially with the risk of things not working out.

If David's agent leaks a figure, or any of the intermediaries involved, or Gent, they push it up higher so the speculation stays buoyant, whether there are real offers at that price or not.

As most major clubs do not win any silverware in a given season, they are all under huge pressure, with the added factor that right now there are some young guys tearing things up in world football and no club wants to be left out, just in case.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

43 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Was just about to post the same thing.

The Arsenal links aren't going away. Mixed feelings about whether I want him to go there. I am hoping for a Bundesliga move.

There may be a lot of pressure considering the recent failings of the Gunners. It's a big club and one that I always liked growing up, but perhaps not the best environment for David.

If he was going to England I might prefer the foxes or perhaps wolves, although I can't remember if the latter are linked to him. Hard to keep track since so many clubs want him. Those two clubs are strong but with lower expectations, so for David that could be better. Both will likely be in Europe too, so more games to go around. I don't think the gunners make Europe this season.

Yeah Arsenal is nice for status but it's a toxic atmosphere with bratty fans. I don't want him getting booed off the park for going a few games without scoring.  

23 minutes ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

Yeah Arsenal is nice for status but it's a toxic atmosphere with bratty fans. I don't want him getting booed off the park for going a few games without scoring.  

Bratty fans. Not really since they've accepted mediocracy for years under Wenger.

As an Arsenal fan, I would love for him to be at the Gunners. As a CMNT fan I would hate for him to be there. 
The EPL is soo cut throat, especially with forwards who are expected to score nvm the fact he's young....if your not scoring then you will be replaced real quick, and confidence shot - especially at the big 5 clubs.

IMO the Bundesliga is the ideal location for him to end up!

Edited by Shway

2 minutes ago, LeoH037 said:

Don't want David anywhere near Arsenal, or any Premier League team that doesn't see consistent UCL or Europa League (preferably UCL). David would shine at the Bundesliga, and I would honestly love to see him in a Dortmund Kit. He would fit into that club like a glove.

I dream of a David / Haaland partnership. I agree Dortmund would be an outstanding place to further develop.

What is it about Dortmund that makes them such a good option for David? I can't think of many teams in the world that already have as much young talent in attacking positions. As far as I know they don't usually play with an attacking mid or secondary striker. They generally carry the bulk of possession... I'd rather see David and Davies in the same team

Edited by Aird25

6 hours ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

I don't think Arsenal are overly bratty or toxic compare to elsewhere in the league. I think they might have had the first and most famous youtube moaning channel but everyone has multiple these days. 

Hard to be overly toxic if your old ground is known as the Library (apologies Shway and we - being West Ham - cannot talk anymore) 

I don't think it would be the worst, but probably a more counter-attacking team would be the easiest transition and the best hope of early success. 

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

4 hours ago, Aird25 said:

What is it about Dortmund that makes them such a good option for David? I can't think of many teams in the world that already have as much young talent in attacking positions. As far as I know they don't usually play with an attacking mid or secondary striker. They generally carry the bulk of possession... I'd rather see David and Davies in the same team

Dortmund have played in different ways this year. Sometimes a 4-3-3 and other times a 4-2-3-1. In the latter formation he could arguably play as the CAM. Mario Gotze sometimes plays there and Giovanni Reyna comes to mind, but yeah that's a role David could possibly play. Sancho could leave and that could open one of the wide forward spots, but I much prefer David to play centrally. He could lead the line as we know, but that'll be Halaand's spot for the foreseeable future. They could play as a pair in a 4-4-2 though, possibly with David supporting Halaand. At any rate, Dortmund do not seem married to any one formation under their current manager.

I think what makes them a good fit is less about how they play and more about how they are excellent at developing young players with talent. I don't think their possession style hurts David either, even though he has looked most impressive on the break. I think he has the ability to play in tight spaces, more so than Davies for example.

And speaking of Davies, that brings me to the part of your post I agree with. Yes, I too would like to see him at Bayern. I mentioned a few weeks back that he'd be perfect for the spot that Muller is playing in now (well, before RL went down). Pretty good player to learn from and of course David is cheaper backup than Coutinho, plus he could be more effective than the Brazilian, considering how Bayern play. The way they pass and move and play one-touch football would be perfect for David, because his movement is outstanding, his decision making is mature, and his touch is (just) clean enough for Bayern. 

The one draw back would be possibly the lack of game time, but we said that about Davies too.

Edited by Obinna

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

And speaking of Davies, that brings me to the part of your post I agree with.

Great. But what parts did you disagree with? I just asked why people prefer Dortmund over other options. I don’t think they’ve played much 4231 since Haaland joined btw.