Jonathan David

Vince193

14 hours ago, Alex said:

Remember when we had dero, de Guzman, Bernier, Hutchinson and Gerba and we ranted and raved about how good our mid field was? “Best in concacaf” we said. Pfft this is a few notches higher now. 

Whoa now... let's now put down that mid-2000s midfield. That was a great midfield, but didn't live up to their potential. Sound familiar? I know it is early but the current team hasn't won anything yet either....

In my books, prime Hutchinson and DeGuzman walk into the current Canada setup easily. 

Prime DeGuzman > Piette
Prime Hutchinson > Osorio

Edited by Bertuzzi44

3 hours ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

Whoa now... let's now put down that mid-2000s midfield. That was a great midfield, but didn't live up to their potential. Sound familiar? I know it is early but the current team hasn't won anything yet either....

In my books, prime Hutchinson and DeGuzman walk into the current Canada setup easily. 

Prime DeGuzman > Piette

That's true but they were the best two players on that team with DeRosario.  

U20 Davis > Prime Hutchinson

U20 David > Prime De Guzman

So our best players are definitely better than before; and so is the rest of the supporting group in the midfield and upfront.  I think the defense on that side of Kluklowski McKenna DeVos Stalteri was definitely better than the current team though

The press we are getting is great, (someone - who wasn't me - even started a thread about young Canadians on the West Ham forum I frequent) because it maybe can shift some players towards us and maybe set up some decent friendlies for the points we need.    

That said, it is early days and these players need to make the right decisions club-wise and we need to win some more key games to give these players the chance to play where they deserve to play. 

3 hours ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

Prime DeGuzman > Piette

My intent isn’t to put it down, That was a great team and the 2007 gold cup was one  of the best performances I’ve ever seen by this team, but what we have now are 2 guys who are competing at the pinnacle of world football (David will be).

Here's a translated interview with David that came out today:

Jonathan David dissects himself
Sometimes a candy, the best muscle fibers and walking until you drop

Tonight, Jonathan David faces Goliath. Because that remains AS Roma, a European superpower. If AA Gent wants to qualify, the 20-year-old Canadian will have to shine again after his hat trick against STVV. Once that has happened, he will have to raise at least € 25 million a little later. Dissection of the man who is to become the new Belgian record transfer. By himself.

THE EYES: "I always know what's happening around me"
GUILLAUME MAEBE
An old quote from you: "If I get covered up close and don't see the goal, I use the defender to aim my goal correctly." Uh, explain.
“Logical, right? If you don't see the goal, you have to use something else. How a defender positions himself, that betrays a lot about his place in relation to his goal. I learned it by looking at images often, by seeing multiple players doing it. If I notice something new, I immediately try it out on the training field. And then repeat. "
Lionel Messi sometimes hangs in the same place for minutes, like last weekend against Eibar, and is suddenly free. Without even walking once.
“Because walking is sometimes the best walking action. The game and the players are constantly on the move. It is smart."
In addition to your mentality, coach Jess Thorup often emphasizes your sense of space. You often stand well between the lines.
“That has become one of my strengths. Every time I make a walk, I first look in all directions: left, right, in front of me. I always know what is happening around me, it has almost become a feeling. And that half a second that I save because I no longer have to look around me helps a lot. ”

DE LONGEN: "Just keep going until you can no longer"
How good are your physical tests?
“Okay, I think. I don't know the numbers. "
Your VO2max is above sixty. Excellent for a soccer player.
"Is that right? I'm just doing those tests. The trick is to stop when you can no longer. Easy."
"Jonathan has fast and slow twitch fibers," says general manager Louwagie. Your muscle fibers give you both endurance and explosiveness. Unique.
“What can I say? I have both, yes. "
Are you the fastest at Ghent?
“I'm among the fastest, but I'm not the fastest. In terms of kilometers traveled, I am at the top together with Sven Kums and Milad Mohammadi. ”
One downside: your jumping power would only be 'normal'.
(laughs) “That has been a theme since I was in Ghent's promises. I can jump even higher, but now I don't use that often in my game. "
Do you diet I ask because you are naturally strong, muscular built.
“I don't diet. That is in my genes. I don't spend much time in fitness and I stick to the guidelines of the team. The only thing I sometimes do is eat something the day after a match. But then it's allowed, isn't it? "

THE HEAD: “I never think I am the best. Or the worst ”
When we ask Thorup about your strongest point, he says that your mental strength is unseen.
"Agreement. My calmness is my strength. I never have heights or lows. It is always neutral in my head, as if I am in the zone. "
What do you mean by heights and lows?
“That there is never too much of anything present. After a good match I will never think that I am the best, after a bad one I will never think that I am the worst. I know no doubt. Maybe some frustration because a certain action could be better, but no doubt. "
Do you know joy? Thorup said he saw you laughing in the dressing room for the first time after your hat trick against STVV.
(laughs) "But I always smile."
Kums called you the coolest frog he ever met last weekend.
"That's a compliment. That is my character: being calm, relaxed. That strengthens me as a football player. ”

THE HEART "I thought the sprint against Doku was the most normal thing in the world"
Are you selfish enough?
"I could be more selfish."
But you consciously do not choose that?
“I'm just not like that. I like to involve my team mates in everything. If I can choose between a pass or a shot, I will choose the shot if I think I can score. But I'm not going to feel worse if someone else scores. "
You scored 22 times in all competitions together, but your most striking action was against Anderlecht: the sprint in the final phase with which you brought Doku back.
“Unbelievable how many people have spoken to me about that. That wasn't a crazy sprint, was it? I just had to do that. "
No other striker sees it that way.
“Doku has been dangerous for a whole match. I had to prevent him from hurting us. "
Are you selfish enough for the top of Europe? There count goals, not the defensive actions.
"Maybe, but if I play such matches later, that experience will come."

DE FEET: "One by one I am good, but almost nobody knows that"
Strange, but of all the people I asked about what your greatest quality is, nobody said your feet.
"They will be more impressed with other things, certainly."
Your technique isn't just okay, is it?
"My first touch, my dribble, my left foot: there are still many things that I cannot be completely satisfied with right now."
I hope you are satisfied with at least one technical aspect?
(thinks for a long time) “Maybe my finish within sixteen. In Canada they also call me a killer for purpose. And my one-to-one situations are also good, but in the role that I now play at AA Ghent, I don't use that very often. Few know that I can actually do that well. "

David about his future: "Bundesliga would be a good step for me"
Jonathan Davidis hot on the transfer market, extremely hot. Tonight the Ghelamco Arena is full of scouts from top clubs. Scouts have been reported from England (Liverpool, Manchester United, Tottenham Hotspur, Chelsea), Germany (Borussia Dortmund, Bayer Leverkusen, Schalke 04, Werder Bremen), the Netherlands (PSV), France (Lille, Nice) and Spain (Seville) ). European top players such as Manchester City, Lyon and Arsenal have already shown interest in the attacker.
The Spanish newspaper AS even published a piece on Monday comparing David with Dortmund's super talent Erling Haaland. "Really? Honest: I never see such articles pass. I will never actively look for it. ”
The German style of playing
Which does not mean that David does nothas thought about his future. “The Bundesliga would be a good next step for me. The German playing style is somewhat similar to that in Belgium, playing at high intensity and the higher level is a nice stepping stone. A transfer to another competition is of course also possible, but a lot will depend on the club, their project and my role in it. We will see what happens this summer, my focus now is on AS Roma. " 

55 minutes ago, Snowcrash said:

Jonathan David dissects himself
Sometimes a candy, the best muscle fibers and walking until you drop...

Thank you very much for that.

Very smart kid, incredibly level head.  

And I love what he says about the Bundesliga, it would kill me to see him go to some of those Premier League teams. 

7 hours ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

Prime DeGuzman > Piette

Ok, but, why are you using Piette and Osorio for the comparison?  Neither is in the discussion of our best mids right now.

The bit about Messi and walking, although probably not translated right, is interesting. Yes, Messi often walks. Or drifts. He does not show effort in a lot of moments on the pitch, and you wonder why (walks back onside). He`ll rarely contest a ball in the air in the midfield, but if it is for scoring his leep is actually quite remarkable. Partially this walking is just a form of hiding or letting himself seem "weak side", but it is also what David is talking about, since others are moving and he's watching, what is a disadvantageous position improves because the others are in movement. Very perceptive.

David has little finishing details that do remind me of Messi in fact, the last goal on the weekend, where he cuts back across the keeper but in front of the defender, something Messi does amazingly. David seems to know how keepers move, their balance shifts, and defenders too. Most strikers are not looking at the keeper and defender movements that carefully, of course Messi is using his short steps and touches to make very quick adjustments and then shoot, sometimes just under an defenders leg (he allows defenders to overreact and then goes behind their blocks). Some of the cool headed finishing by David reminds me of this, though of course he has longer strides his release is still quite quick and he picks his corners smartly.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

2 minutes ago, El Diego said:

David scores, left footed finish after a nice cross by Bezus. He found a gap between the centre back and full back. Poor marking but good awareness and really calm finish.

Gent have been all over Roma.

And during that flurry in the box just before, there was a clear penalty. I think VAR is still optional in Europa League, is it not?

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Awful, and I mean truly awful, defending from Plastun lets Kluivert through and it is 1-1. I have no idea why Plastun felt the need to go so wide considering Kluivert is 10x faster.

As I type this, David hits one just wide.

Interesting note I did not know: away goals don't count until after extra time. So if Gent win 2-1 it goes to ET, but if it stays that way in ET then Roma win.