Jump to content
Vince193

Jonathan David

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Oranje said:

I think a top Bundesliga team will pick him up to get Håland 2.0. I also see Sancho leaving Dortmund in the summer and wouldn't be surprised if someone makes an offer for Håland so if he leaves as well Dortmund will be looking for some firepower up front.

Lower table England have been spending a ton in Belgium lately. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

Lower table England have been spending a ton in Belgium lately. 

Aston Villa paid Genk a fee of 22 million Euro for Moraes a 22 year old Brazilian forward that had 17 Goals in 48 Matches and 13 in 44 the year before. This winter window they also paid 8.5 million Euro to Genk again for a 27 year old attacker that has 10 goals in 28 matches, 32 in 51 year before.

David is at 22 goals in 37 matches, already surpassing Moraes production. Granted there are of course some non goal scoring aspects to consider but the sort of baseline from Belgium would have David given his age and production at minimum 35 million Euro.

Another consideration is he has only been in a professional environment while in Belgium, his growth has been accelerating steeply. If you put him in an even better environment (a la Davies at Bayern) then how much more would the development ramp up?

Edited by SirBobsaget

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Snowcrash said:

The post was completely gratuitous because this is a Jonathan David thread.  Poster should make more of an effort to stay on topic.

This is true. I am sorry, I couldn't help myself. I see the talent Canada has now yet feel somehow the CSA will f%#k it up. 

16+ years posting here, so maybe cut a jaded Vee some slack :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

Lower table England have been spending a ton in Belgium lately. 

That is one my worries, see below 

4 hours ago, SirBobsaget said:

Aston Villa paid Genk a fee of 22 million Euro for Moraes a 22 year old Brazilian forward that had 17 Goals in 48 Matches and 13 in 44 the year before...

Another consideration is he has only been in a professional environment while in Belgium, his growth has been accelerating steeply. If you put him in an even better environment (a la Davies at Bayern) then how much more would the development ramp up?

Moraes is exactly not what I would not want to happen to David.  Wesley (what we knew/know Moraes as here) did not develop much so far, that I could tell.  He was a big, physical forward (which David is not) , that did okay initially (did well against Na'arch but even my team did that) before going almost 3 months without a goal, scoring one and then getting seriously injured.  

Another example from the same area of the table, though at a different position (hard to directly compare stats) is Pablo Fornals.  Still rated slightly higher than David, starter and important player in the winning Spanish side at the under21 Euros last summer, even a starter in another "top 5 league" but overall an obvious talent on the ball.  Comes; has trouble with the speed of the Premiership and takes a while finding his feet, starting to get there when the bottom falls out of our form and the manager is sacked.  Install a new manager whose job is too stay in the league at all costs and young Fornals does not make the squad against Man City (thereby partially negating the playing against the best teams in the world).  

Vincent Janssen is another from a few years ago not even going to a bottom half team but from a more similar league.  Gaudy numbers (32 goals and 7 assists playing in the same competitions - Europa League and qualifying - and a slightly better league than David) now plies his trade in Mexico. 

The most direct good example I can think of from the Belgian League is one of my favourite players - De Bruyne - same age if David was sold this year but he was sold for less and was loaned back and went on a bit of a tour before and after Chelsea let him go (for a fair bit of dosh) and then he developed into the star he is - while playing in European competitions in Germany and with Man City. 

 

Long story short, Wesley and Fornals have a good chance of not being in the Premier League next year so if David goes, it needs to be to the right team, not for the right money and I think playing with Gent in the Champions League is better than playing with Villa or - and it pains to say it - West Ham and probably even going to the likes of Tottenham, especially under Mourinho, or Chelsea. 

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Long story short, Wesley and Fornals have a good chance of not being in the Premier League next year so if David goes, it needs to be to the right team, not for the right money and I think playing with Gent in the Champions League is better than playing with Villa or - and it pains to say it - West Ham and probably even going to the likes of Tottenham, especially under Mourinho, or Chelsea. 

Thoughts on Arsenal?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Obinna said:

Thoughts on Arsenal?

Everything I say about London clubs comes with bias but as far as Arsenal goes I have grudgingly admired them and their development over the years.  They didn't have a Russian oligarch and they are not Tottenham. 

Arteta seems a class act and is trying to play the right way but they still have work to do to get into Europe. 

It would depend also on what is up with Ozil and Aubameyang, for me.  Most of the rest of their front line players are young and fairly new. Pepe, Reiss Nelson, Martinelli and Nketiah; add them to Lacazette and those first two and it is pretty crowded. 

The catch 22 would be that if that can make it to Europe, there is less a chance of those first two leaving. 

But overall and with an attempt at being fair - a great environment as long as he got minutes.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

This is true. I am sorry, I couldn't help myself. I see the talent Canada has now yet feel somehow the CSA will f%#k it up. 

16+ years posting here, so maybe cut a jaded Vee some slack :lol:

No problem, man.  In hindsight, I might have been too quick on the trigger myself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Aird25 said:

Obviously a pipe dream at this point, but I think his game is actually quite well suited to play alongside Messi as a Suarez replacement 

We don't play with space in front of us, and if you look at his highlight reel, he is moving fast in space and doing things quickly. This sort of surprises me, how can a team that is 2nd in the Belgian league get so much space, the rivals do not park the bus against them?

He does have some clinical finishing, and smart dribbles with a cool head in front of goal, but still: playing in a static offence with the rival playing deep is a different story. Suárez spends a lot of time with his asss pushing into the CBs, fixing the position of the defence, and that way opening up for Messi. Braithwaite the Dane we just signed has the same profile. 

David in a top league would be better suited to a mid to lower table team with room and space when countering, obviously with better quality teammates, playing as a false 9 or slightly to one side of an attack.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

We don't play with space in front of us, and if you look at his highlight reel, he is moving fast in space and doing things quickly. This sort of surprises me, how can a team that is 2nd in the Belgian league get so much space, the rivals do not park the bus against them?

He does have some clinical finishing, and smart dribbles with a cool head in front of goal, but still: playing in a static offence with the rival playing deep is a different story. Suárez spends a lot of time with his asss pushing into the CBs, fixing the position of the defence, and that way opening up for Messi. Braithwaite the Dane we just signed has the same profile. 

David in a top league would be better suited to a mid to lower table team with room and space when countering, obviously with better quality teammates, playing as a false 9 or slightly to one side of an attack.

More of a "gegenpress" player than a "tika taka" one?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

More of a "gegenpress" player than a "tika taka" one?

Sadly Barça no longer represents the best of tiki-taka, but hasn't replaced it with anything better. You realise with time what an amazing player Xavi was, tiki-taka was premised on Xavi Hernández at his peak.

David got his hat trick in 60 m on the pitch.

 

 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Sadly Barça no longer represents the best of tiki-taka, but hasn't replaced it with anything better. You realise with time what an amazing player Xavi was, tiki-taka was premised on Xavi Hernández at his peak.

David got his hat trick in 60 m on the pitch.

 

 

Appreciate the take from someone who watches them regular.

(One of my bad example players just got subbed on and gave us the lead at Anfield.  I apparently should point out his struggles more often.)

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

We don't play with space in front of us, and if you look at his highlight reel, he is moving fast in space and doing things quickly. This sort of surprises me, how can a team that is 2nd in the Belgian league get so much space, the rivals do not park the bus against them?

He does have some clinical finishing, and smart dribbles with a cool head in front of goal, but still: playing in a static offence with the rival playing deep is a different story. Suárez spends a lot of time with his asss pushing into the CBs, fixing the position of the defence, and that way opening up for Messi. Braithwaite the Dane we just signed has the same profile. 

David in a top league would be better suited to a mid to lower table team with room and space when countering, obviously with better quality teammates, playing as a false 9 or slightly to one side of an attack.

I was really just dreaming about Messi feeding David in front of goal, not so much tactics or anything else about Barcelona. With David's ability to find pockets of space, composure in front of goal, and consistency choosing and making the right plays, I think he'd combine well with Messi. But I suppose you could say that about almost any decent player.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Just because he currently plays and excels in one style doesn’t mean he can’t succeed in another.

Davids best attributes are his finishing, off the ball movement and speed.  He can be an asset to any style.

Yes, and perhaps his biggest asset: smart, smart, smart. Football smarts with athletic ability and a nose for goal SHOULD help him slot into many different systems, I would think.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

David is an underrated passer too. That cheeky back-heel leading to the penalty was very nice.

He also did a nice back-heel in his own box off a corner to spring an odd man counter attack which lead to their winning goal in their previous game.

Edited by Snowcrash

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, bwilly11 said:

His agent seems to be ruling out a jump to Arsenal. Seems like he thinks they need to a smaller club first.

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/1247035/Man-Utd-transfer-target-Ole-Gunnar-Solskjaer-Jonathan-David-Arsenal-gossip-rumours

As he's signed a contract extension you pretty well are obliged to let your club get what they can for you. I don't think he should be turning down any option as too big, though, if the opportunity comes you have to go for it, as I see it, however you might feel minutes might be hard to come by.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, bwilly11 said:

Not sure if I like what I having been saying being similar to an agent or not.

Aren't they all the bane of modern football?

 

 

More seriously, good news if the agent is not just thinking about the size of the fee. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...