Jonathan David

Vince193

16 minutes ago, Snowcrash said:

It's more a reflection of the quality of the play maker rather than any selfishness or jealousy on his part by not passing to David.  David does so well to find pockets of space in the attacking zone but the passer either doesn't see it or doesn't see it quickly enough before it's closed down.  

Someone like Victor Vasquez or Pozuelo would have found David but Gent unfortunately don't have such visionary play makers.

I do suspect this is the case rather than jealousy or something. It was very frustrating, but he kept a good attitude and never stopped showing for the ball.

Yeah Pozuelo or Vasquez would have found him, but I don't think you needed to be a quality playmaker to advance the ball in some of these cases. In some cases, the ball would go out wide in the middle or attacking third, David would show for the ball, and his teammate would ignore it (or not see it). I would have to watch again to ensure I am not misremembering, but I do recall this being the case.

I honestly think it was more the case of the team playing safe too often, rather than not seeing the option. Either way, we don't know and it doesn't matter. Won't change the fact. I can only hope they find a way to involve David more at home in the return leg.

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

David was repeatedly showing for the ball and his teammates were not passing it to him. Were they not brave enough to try and play through the lines? Because they were away to Roma? It was a real shame because Gent did everything else mostly right. Not even going to comment on Odjida picking the wrong option on the break (twice). 

Nearly every touch David had was a good one, but his teammates refused to pass him the ball. Very strange.

Unless he's not match fit, Chakvetadze needs to play at least a half this weekend to see if he can play more minutes in the return leg.  He's a very creative player and can play the 10 while David slots back into the front line with Depoitre.

7 hours ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

i have been on the side that another year at Gent would be good for David, however this seems to be the biggest reason he should move, looks like in has definitely outgrown the level. Hard to believe at 19.

He has outgrown the level, the only reason he should maybe consider sticking around for another year is IF Gent somehow get to play Champions League next year, even then, IMO a few UCL games would not be better than consistently playing at a higher level on a bigger European league. He did not at all look out of place against Roma, he was being his usual self and getting into good positions, it's mostly his teammates who could not keep up at times. A summer move is eminent, specially if the rumors of the clubs who allegedly seem intent on going after him are true.

I've finally been convinced he must move on as well. It's important he takes the proper step up. He looked more like a player who should be playing for a club like Roma than a club like Gent, with all due respect to them. 

Not that I think it will happen, but Bayern Munich seems like it would be a good fit.

Watched the game today and the commentator made a good point comparing Muller and Coutinho. Where the Brazilian fails is his tendency to try and force things to happen, whereas Muller lets the game come to him, playing with as few touches as possible.

This is how David plays. He takes what the game gives him. Makes the right pass with the right timing. Bayern are at their best when they all play with few touches and interchange. Seems like David's M.O., and being a second striker/attacking midfielder, he could be what Bayern need for depth. He can also lead the line in absence of Lewandowski and is cheaper than Werner, and younger too.

22 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I've finally been convinced he must move on as well. It's important he takes the proper step up. He looked more like a player who should be playing for a club like Roma than a club like Gent, with all due respect to them. 

Not that I think it will happen, but Bayern Munich seems like it would be a good fit.

Watched the game today and the commentator made a good point comparing Muller and Coutinho. Where the Brazilian fails is his tendency to try and force things to happen, whereas Muller lets the game come to him, playing with as few touches as possible.

This is how David plays. He takes what the game gives him. Makes the right pass with the right timing. Bayern are at their best when they all play with few touches and interchange. Seems like David's M.O., and being a second striker/attacking midfielder, he could be what Bayern need for depth. He can also lead the line in absence of Lewandowski and is cheaper than Werner, and younger too.

Although I thought that Coutinho was good today, and combined well with Davies.

For David, a transfer with minutes in any of the big five leagues in Europe would be a strong move. He does not have to go to the top teams.

The first goal is a terrible error by Neuer, who makes these frequently. How could they overrate him so much in Germany?

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Although I thought that Coutinho was good today, and combined well with Davies.

For David, a transfer with minutes in any of the big five leagues in Europe would be a strong move. He does not have to go to the top teams.

The first goal is a terrible error by Neuer, who makes these frequently. How could they overrate him so much in Germany?

Nuer's not old  for a GK  but his game's definitely declined. He's had some personal family issues to deal with so that may have something to do with it.

As for  comparisons, David uses space like Mueller, drifting into pockets in the box or making runs where he's boxing out defenders. Not saying David will be as good as Muellef but I'd like to know how Mueller saw that game when he was David's age. 

Is
Edited by Snowcrash

3 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

No ter Stegen bias from the Barca supporter, there? 😉 

If you watch Ter Stegen regularly, you see he is excellent, probably more consistent and less mistake prone than Neuer.  His distribution with his feet, even long balls, is amazing, probably the best in the world right now.

I think the best keeper overlal worldwide is Oblak, Ter Stegen is in the top five, Neuer is worse.

But what bothers folks is that at Bayern they lobby the national team and say that if Neuer does not start for Germany, they'll not let him go to call-ups. Because Ter Stegen never played for Bayern, they slag him openly. Bayern people, many rather illustrious ex players, are very manipulative with this stuff, they think they own the national team.

Hard to judge considering the poorer opposition and the boost from being at home but having the two Georgians starting (Chakvetadze and Kvilita) has opened things up for David and the offence for Gent tonight.

They still give up chances but interesting to see what way they go during the week against Roma.

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

Hat trick today. What a beast, he is on a meteoric rise! 

We waited a long time for this sort of talent. Davies and David are putting Canada on the map! Hopefully more kids that fall through the cracks in Canada start getting scouted as a result. Unreal

Has there ever been a more exciting time as a CDN soccer fan?

Edited by bwilly11

5 minutes ago, El Diego said:

Third goal was reminiscent of that goal against Cuba. Not quite as high a degree of difficulty, but the confidence and calmness to delay, bait the defender into a slide, go a bit wider, and find the opening past the keeper... maybe one of his calling cards?

He’s incredibly composed in front of goal

59 minutes ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

Leave it to the CSA to finally have world class talent, but match it with an amateur coach.

John Herdman has been a professional football coach for nearly 20 years. You may not like him personally, nor be impressed by his resume, but posting blatantly incorrect statements online in an attempt to disparage him only makes you look stupid. Try harder, mate.

2 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

John Herdman has been a professional football coach for nearly 20 years. You may not like him personally, nor be impressed by his resume, but posting blatantly incorrect statements online in an attempt to disparage him only makes you look stupid. Try harder, mate.

He's less experienced in competitive men's soccer than most of the players. 

But putting all our hopes for Qatar on getting a result away vs the States instead of planning more competently is not just on him, those who hired him continually show ineptitude. 

Given that Herdman has no previous men's professional club or senior men's experience, I think it is completely acceptable to label him as an amateur coach in the context of the Men's game.  You get what you pay for in this life. 

The guy is on an overall upward trajectory, but after the Haiti and the US away games, its totally obvious he's been learning on the job, and we did not have room for error.

30 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

Given that Herdman has no previous men's professional club or senior men's experience, I think it is completely acceptable to label him as an amateur coach in the context of the Men's game.  You get what you pay for in this life. 

The guy is on an overall upward trajectory, but after the Haiti and the US away games, its totally obvious he's been learning on the job, and we did not have room for error.

The post was completely gratuitous because this is a Jonathan David thread.  Poster should make more of an effort to stay on topic.

4 hours ago, Obinna said:

Ajax just signed a Brazilian U-23 attacking midfielder for 22 million euros from Sao Paulo. Perhaps that means no David?

I think a top Bundesliga team will pick him up to get Håland 2.0. I also see Sancho leaving Dortmund in the summer and wouldn't be surprised if someone makes an offer for Håland so if he leaves as well Dortmund will be looking for some firepower up front.