Jonathan David

Vince193

David not getting a lot of touches in the first half vs Roma.  On two odd man rushes in favour of Gent, both times the man with the ball passed to the other player instead of David and both opportunities went lacking. The commentator indicated they they should have passed to the Canadian who is in great form.  Think David will have chances in the second half.

3 minutes ago, Club Linesman said:

David not getting a lot of touches in the first half vs Roma.  On two odd man rushes in favour of Gent, both times the man with the ball passed to the other player instead of David and both opportunities went lacking. The commentator indicated they they should have passed to the Canadian who is in great form.  Think David will have chances in the second half.

He's doing all the right things off the ball. The great thing about him is all he needs is a half chance and he'll bury it 

4 minutes ago, Club Linesman said:

Yeah Odjidja to Depoitre both times, wrong option. You can tell Depoitre is coming back from an injury, he looks off the pace

Gent have seen more of the ball than I thought they would, and that must be partly due to Roma going ahread so early, but David hasn't been all that involved. Whenever he has though Gent generally look more dangerous

Agree with a lot of what has been said.

Missing Yaremchuck, who would be up with Depoitre and David slightly behind normally.  Having David be the one with the ball on the break instead of Odjidja would help.  A least a couple of wrong options taken by him - him being Odjidja.  

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

12 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Agree with a lot of what has been said.

Missing Yaremchuck, who would be up with Depoitre and David slightly behind normally.  Having David be the one with the ball on the break instead of Odjidja would help.  A least a couple of wrong options taken by him - him being Odjidja.  

Odjidja is an incredibly frustrating player.  Holds on to the ball too long and never seems to make the simple or obvious play. Still a decent player and with better decision making, probably plays with a better club in a higher league.

5 minutes ago, Snowcrash said:

Odjidja is an incredibly frustrating player.  Holds on to the ball too long and never seems to make the simple or obvious play. Still a decent player and with better decision making, probably plays with a better club in a higher league.

I have only watched him for a year and a bit but I generally think he is a better box to box midfielder than anything he does in the final third.  Good engine, gets stuck in, decent from dead balls and breaks up play well, just not the player you want running the break.

1 hour ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

I have only watched him for a year and a bit but I generally think he is a better box to box midfielder than anything he does in the final third.  Good engine, gets stuck in, decent from dead balls and breaks up play well, just not the player you want running the break.

Odjida is a very, very good version of Delgado but still not the player you want leading a 3 on 2 break. 

He made a lot of good runs, and almost bagged an assists after shaking off a defender, but man, his team mates are just not on the same wavelength it seems. Always looked dangerous when he had the ball and got room to drive it forward. Frustrating game because Gent could have at least tied this, and David could have well had a goal or two with better decision making from his team mates.

That was a match for the taking as far as Gent have to be concerned.  Painful watch at times. 

I mean what the Hell?  Ghent did more to keep the ball away from David than all the Roma defenders combined. 

Sell David now, sell David later, for Ghent it won't take many more matches like that before the man makes that decision for you.   

2 minutes ago, Cheeta said:

That was a match for the taking as far as Gent have to be concerned.  Painful watch at times. 

I mean what the Hell?  Ghent did more to keep the ball away from David than all the Roma defenders combined. 

Sell David now, sell David later, for Ghent it won't take many more matches like that before the man makes that decision for you.   

i have been on the side that another year at Gent would be good for David, however this seems to be the biggest reason he should move, looks like in has definitely outgrown the level. Hard to believe at 19.

1 hour ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

i have been on the side that another year at Gent would be good for David, however this seems to be the biggest reason he should move, looks like in has definitely outgrown the level. Hard to believe at 19.

To be fair to Gent, they are missing a striker that was neck and neck with David in scoring for most of the season and the other striker just came back from an injury and looked it. So you had a midfielder who usually is more middle of the park trying to run things with little success.

I thought Roma pressed them in the middle better than most in the Belgian league and Gent are not the greatest away.  The only team ahead of them in their league gave a much improved Manchester United a game last night.  There are not a bad team. 

All and all, one game is one game and they are going home not in a massive hole.

David was repeatedly showing for the ball and his teammates were not passing it to him. Were they not brave enough to try and play through the lines? Because they were away to Roma? It was a real shame because Gent did everything else mostly right. Not even going to comment on Odjida picking the wrong option on the break (twice). 

Nearly every touch David had was a good one, but his teammates refused to pass him the ball. Very strange.

19 minutes ago, Obinna said:

David was repeatedly showing for the ball and his teammates were not passing it to him. Were they not brave enough to try and play through the lines? Because they were away to Roma? It was a real shame because Gent did everything else mostly right. Not even going to comment on Odjida picking the wrong option on the break (twice). 

Nearly every touch David had was a good one, but his teammates refused to pass him the ball. Very strange.

It's more a reflection of the quality of the play maker rather than any selfishness or jealousy on his part by not passing to David.  David does so well to find pockets of space in the attacking zone but the passer either doesn't see it or doesn't see it quickly enough before it's closed down.  

Someone like Victor Vasquez or Pozuelo would have found David but Gent unfortunately don't have such visionary play makers.

Edited by Snowcrash