Jonathan David

Vince193

11 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Jesus - he really blew past that defender.  I only know what I have read about him in this thread, but he seems like a promising player.  Seems like the kind of guy it might be worth inviting to a NL game for depth.

He's eligible to Haiti, so we should sub him in and cap him against USVI

17 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

What a nice run to get into the open space.  I dont know what else he did the rest of the game but that was a heck of a play.   Herdman has to use a 2 striker formation...I want to see Larin/David, or Cavallini/Millar etc in the fall.  Some combo of the an established guy and the youngster.  I feel for Ricketts, because if these kids keep growing in leaps and bounds he might not get many more games to move up the alltime scoring list.  

How can you not be excited to play with these kids if you're Cavallini? 

9 minutes ago, El Diego said:

I don't feel bad for the Ricketts at all. The amount of caps, goals, and general success he's had in soccer is way more than his ability and soccer IQ should have afforded him.

A two striker formation would require one of the strikers to do a lot of defensive work if we play it against good teams. Certainly neither Larin or Cavallini seem to be the type to be able to drop back and play a defensive forward type role. It is interesting to think about how to line up considering our (relative) strength in attack, suddenly. I don't think these young kids are too far off our best XI.

Millar was our best player against New Zealand, and if David is seemingly scoring for fun at Gent, what other striker would go in front of him right now besides Larin/Cavallini??  I was waffling about them both getting calls for the fall games, but now I am thinking Herdman should get both in there and blooded against CONCACAF competion as soon as possible, as they'll likely be a big part of the program in the next couple cycles.  Remember when Ottawafan was saying that he thought David was just as good a prospect as Davies??  

As for Ricketts, the poor guy gets shit on all the time, and all he ever did was score score score for CMNT.  He prob wont get many more chances to bang in ugly goals for Canada anymore.  

13 minutes ago, El Diego said:

I don't feel bad for the Ricketts at all. The amount of caps, goals, and general success he's had in soccer is way more than his ability and soccer IQ should have afforded him.

A two striker formation would require one of the strikers to do a lot of defensive work if we play it against good teams. Certainly neither Larin or Cavallini seem to be the type to be able to drop back and play a defensive forward type role. It is interesting to think about how to line up considering our (relative) strength in attack, suddenly. I don't think these young kids are too far off our best XI.

NL Qualifier is the best time to give kids much needed international experience. We use our A team at the beginning of the game to try and put it out of reach as early as possible, then sub in the kids and cap who you need to cap.

Just now, Ansem said:

He's eligible to Haiti, so we should sub him in and cap him against USVI

Yeah, despite some criticism of Herdman's propensity for sound bytes, you have to assume his planning horizon is 2022 and 2026.   Building a solid amount of depth would be one of the first tasks on the list, so I am sure he is planning to build the pool of players as the opportunities arise.  The upcoming NL games seem like the perfect opportunity. 

23 minutes ago, Ansem said:

How can you not be excited to play with these kids if you're Cavallini? 

If you're Tabla, how are you not excited at the possibility of playing midfield with Davies and Millar behind 2 of David/Larin/Cavallini in 2026?

I think we're upgrading from that average girl guys hit on when the bar's about to close to the one who gets picked ? 

28 minutes ago, Ansem said:

If you're Tabla, how are you not excited at the possibility of playing midfield with Davies and Millar behind 2 of David/Larin/Cavallini in 2026?

I think we're upgrading from that average girl guys hit on when the bar's about to close to the one who gets picked ? 

2022 we will still have a very intriguing team

3 minutes ago, canta15 said:

2022 we will still have a very intriguing team

Totally agree. I'm starting to see the door opening for qualifying to the world cup. Arfield, Borjan and Hoilett will still be around and will have an injection of talented youth players. CB is huge problem. If Ferreira isn't called up for UEFA League of Nation, we should go hard after him. Hoping Cornelius plays at a higher level until then and develop properly.

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

Millar was our best player against New Zealand, and if David is seemingly scoring for fun at Gent, what other striker would go in front of him right now besides Larin/Cavallini??

What Millar has going for him is his versatility. He can play midfield as well.

So you could be looking at:

Striker: Cavallini, Larin, David

Midfield:Davies, Millar, Arfield, Hoillet, maybe Tabla, 

Not bad huh?

I saw an article on him but couldn't translate the whole thing but thought some of you might enjoy this:

And Canadian attacker active in Belgium: finally a successor for Tomasz Radzinski. Although the name of the pointed spit of Anderlecht does not ring a bell with David. "He was also active at Everton in the Premier League - weird, I do not know him" Even though David shares some qualities with Radzinski.

Earlier in the same article he was talking about how Canadians didn't have a real history of being pros in Europe and then the interviewer hit him with that, too funny.  

6 hours ago, Ansem said:

Totally agree. I'm starting to see the door opening for qualifying to the world cup. Arfield, Borjan and Hoilett will still be around and will have an injection of talented youth players. CB is huge problem. If Ferreira isn't called up for UEFA League of Nation, we should go hard after him. Hoping Cornelius plays at a higher level until then and develop properly.

We should be going after Ferreira and Tomori hard right now! We have the pieces to become top 3 in Concacaf !  We have a nice balance of youth and prime players. 

49 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

We should be going after Ferreira and Tomori hard right now! We have the pieces to become top 3 in Concacaf !  We have a nice balance of youth and prime players. 

Didint Herdman hinted that he was already on Tomori's case? Getting both Ferreira and Tomori would be massive indeed but Ferreira understandably still dreams of playing with Ronaldo. It will take not being called up at the LN and next Euro for him to take the hint that he should play for Canada.

Then we bag Tabla and voila!

Edited by Ansem

2 minutes ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

Fuck 2022, I want the 2019 Gold cup....then we're ready for the World.

Its going to be an exciting one for us.. If all the players are healthy and depending on the draw I think it would be reasonable to set semi-finals as the expectation. Then whatever happens from there happens.