Vince193

Jonathan David

Out of curiosity I just did some quick math on David. This calendar year he has scored 27 goals for club/country. A David hat trick against the USA for a even 30 would be great haha.

From Canuks Abroad: speculation on transfermarkt that David could break the Belgian league transfer record currently held by Youri  Tielemans (2017) of 26.2 million Euros with a move to the Bundesliga this summer. The recent play of Davies at Bayern and David's strong 2nd season will continue to add fuel to this speculation

8 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

From Canuks Abroad: speculation on transfermarkt that David could break the Belgian league transfer record currently held by Youri  Tielemans (2017) of 26.2 million Euros with a move to the Bundesliga this summer. The recent play of Davies at Bayern and David's strong 2nd season will continue to add fuel to this speculation

It will be interesting to see the impact of Davies on the perception of Canadian players as viable transfer targets.  He broke the path, and a player like David could  really cement the idea that we may be a bit of an untapped resource. 

I was thinking he might do 1-2 years at a Ligue 1 team in France. Easy life transition from Belgium to France, league and clubs puts a huge emphasis on player development.  The french development system in itself, top to bottom is class and Ligue 1 is arguably the top league of players under 24 years of age in the world. 

I thought I read a rumor that was the plan at one point as a stepping stone. However based on his recent form and the fact he is backing it up back to back season, could very well transfer directly into a top half Bundesliga team. His price tag is likely too high for Ligue 1, regardless what an incredible journey for this young man.

It will be interesting  to see how his career trajectory relates to Davies. For Davies he is already at a top5 club in the world. If he can hold onto a spot where does he really go from there? For David does he go to mid table French or German team to continue to develop. In that case he could also stay at Gent and they could try to take a run at the title this year or next. Then if is successful after a couple years try to get into a big team. It seems like Davies missed a couple stepping stones which almost every player makes to go to a top club.

Tillemans went to Monaco when they were coming off being champions of France. seems like mid level france could be a touch too low for David if they're looking for a similar number.

Either way will be fun to see how it all plays out. Bundesliga seems to make alot of sense.

32 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

If the number is that high then you can narrow down possible destinations because that's going to be a huge club.  That would put him out of reach of most EPL clubs, never mind Ligue 1 or Bundesliga.  

Sheffield United, that just got promoted to the EPL this year, spent almost €50m  this summer, including €20m on Oliver McBurnie.  If the number for David is going to be in the €30m range anywhere in the Premier League is a possibility. 

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

I know he wouldn't go to Bayern, but just close your eyes and imagine....

It's honestly not a ridiculous thought. Coutinho is on loan and by the way he is playing there's about no chance they pick up his option. Muller is still a great player but isn't getting any younger. A young up and coming versatile CAM who can also play out wide and up top? The sky is the limit

19 minutes ago, JuicyHam said:

It's honestly not a ridiculous thought. Coutinho is on loan and by the way he is playing there's about no chance they pick up his option. Muller is still a great player but isn't getting any younger. A young up and coming versatile CAM who can also play out wide and up top? The sky is the limit

It's funny because he is the type of no.10 who could play in a rhythm with the rest of Bayern, I think. Coutinho at Bayern reminds me of Tabla with Canada - skilled but out of sync with his teammates. 

Thing is, this is Bayern right? There is pressure for a big club to make big signings. Rather than make a shrewd deal for an up and comer like David, they are more likely to spend 4x the money on someone like Sane or Hudson-Odoi, even though wingers are not their problem.

There is also no alternative at the no. 9 spot, but they'll hold out for the young man at RB Leipzig, Timo Werner.

Bayern made a shrewd purchase in Davies, so it wouldn't be unprecedented, but I just don't see it, as much as I want to and I think it would be good for them. I am biased though :)

2 hours ago, Lansdude said:

Would be cool to see him go to one of the non-Bayern/Dortmund teams near the top of the table that are duking it out.

I don't know how they play or what their situation is player wise, but Bayer Leverkusen is the right level of club for David, I think. Or Monchengladbach. 

Leverkusen have been most recently linked, if I am not mistaken. 

I'm in the camp of seeing him at a club like Hoffenheim, Schalke, Bayer Leverkusen, etc. A team where he is guaranteed (almost anyways) minutes and has a chance to play Champions League football. Impressing at a club like that which is a very real outcome can see him make the next step to a legit top club in world football. But I do agree with others that being bought by a team like Bayern isn't impossible.

While I do mainly follow the Premiership in Europe, I'd prefer to see him in the Bundesliga. Not only for the level and style of play but the idea of getting see Davies vs David is just a fantastic thought. 

Followed this team for 66% of my life (22 years) and can safely say this is the most exciting time to be a Canadian football supporter. It's been a long time coming but the actual joy (sometimes feels so irrational) I get from watching one of our guys do well has been worth all suffering, annoyance, heartbreak, apathy, and everything else that has come along with being a Canadian football supporter for all these years.

Yeah lets hope his fee doesn't get too high, there are a lot of good options in Germany that would be great for him but if his price goes too high it'll limit his options.  Leverkusen, Monchengladbach, Frankfurt RB Leipzig all seem like very good options, although RB seem to buy pretty low and get cut market deals from their cousin club in Austria.