Jonathan David

Vince193

As this year was David’s first ever professional season, I wouldn’t be surprised if the coaching staff at Gent thought he probably needed breaks during the season to protect him. You often hear of young players fading away over the course of a season because of the toll the day to day grind takes on them. It takes time to build up to being able to physically and mentally handle playing every week for a full season. 

12 hours ago, BrennanFan said:

Remember when 'See thee Rise' was our slogan? Ah, the bad old days...

Sorry everyone for adding a comment about slogans, but I got here late and can't help myself :)

I actually really liked the "See thee rise" slogan. It's just a shame we crashed and burned.

As for the earlier argument by someone else that "Toronto isn't even the furthest north in the NBA", that isn't really relevant to the slogan. If the slogan was "We the northernmost team" then it would be relevant. People refer to southern states as "the south", even though they are aware there are places further south than them. Just like it's OK to say "the great white north" to refer to Canada, when if we were being literal we would have to say "some of the great white north".

I haven't seen many of the other matches, but is he the young player of the tournament so far? 2 goals and an assist so far.

I thought he seemed pretty tentative last night. Didn't want to take shots when he had the opportunity. That one back heal when he was in on goal and even the goal he almost lost it to the last defender.

7 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

I haven't seen many of the other matches, but is he the young player of the tournament so far? 2 goals and an assist so far.

I thought he seemed pretty tentative last night. Didn't want to take shots when he had the opportunity. That one back heal when he was in on goal and even the goal he almost lost it to the last defender.

On the other hand he also had a go from range, which I think is uncharacteristic of him. 

1 hour ago, Stryker911 said:

I thought he seemed pretty tentative last night. Didn't want to take shots when he had the opportunity. That one back heal when he was in on goal and even the goal he almost lost it to the last defender

Yeah he was guilty of being too clever on that play but I thought that was a mark of confidence. If the backheel had worked we might have had another pass-into-the-net goal, I saw that not as tentativeness but his killer instinct working. And of course he pounced on the defender to win the ball and then after getting mixed up successfully dug the ball out for the pass to Cav.

47 minutes ago, Lansdude said:

Yeah he was guilty of being too clever on that play but I thought that was a mark of confidence. If the backheel had worked we might have had another pass-into-the-net goal, I saw that not as tentativeness but his killer instinct working. And of course he pounced on the defender to win the ball and then after getting mixed up successfully dug the ball out for the pass to Cav.

It looked to me like he was letting the ball roll across his body so that he could either strike it far post or cut it back, and it surprised him how quickly the ball went across. It went too far and he very few options. The back heel was certainly not his plan A or plan B, but a reaction.

6 minutes ago, El Diego said:

It looked to me like he was letting the ball roll across his body so that he could either strike it far post or cut it back, and it surprised him how quickly the ball went across. It went too far and he very few options. The back heel was certainly not his plan A or plan B, but a reaction.

Yeah, that was my take as well. He wasn’t being cheeky with the back heel - it just quickly became the best option.  He couldn’t get a good shot off and from all indications so far he is a very good judge of what might be a wasteful shot.  Thus he opted to try a pass that - as you noted - would have led to a high % opportunity. 

I thought it was obvious.  He just clearly mistimed the ball's velocity. and as @El Diego stated the backheel was a n instinctive last resort.  In hindsight, it would have been better to hold onto it or pass across the goal after his mistimed the incoming pass.

Probably his only error on the night as well.

Edited by Corazon

On 6/19/2019 at 1:56 AM, CanadaFan123 said:

@Unnamed Trialist implicit racism in my comments? How are you expecting anyone to take you seriously, clown? Shame on you. 

You are criticising the grammar of an Afro-American musician, in a song.  Fcking totally racist you neophyte.

Edit: This post of mine was wrong, but I'll leave it up. DJ Khaled was from a Palestinian family. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

You are criticising the grammar of an Afro-American musician, in a song.  Fcking totally racist you neophyte.

As an Afro-Canadian soccer fan, can we totally drop the race stuff and just talk about soccer? I don't care enough to go back and read what this is about. I don't care who is right or wrong. Is there not another forum somewhere on the internet where you two can talk about this nonsense?

I think David will be one of those players who benefited from playing in such a quality game yesterday. The level was probably better than any Belgian or Europa League game he's played in. That means, speed of thought had to be that extra bit quicker than he's accustomed to, which is why he failed to pull the trigger and went for the backheel.

I think he adjusted pretty quickly though and showed he can play at this pace of game. 

Edited by Obinna

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

What the hell are you talking about?

A) Do you even know what race I am?

B ) What Afro American musician did I criticize? If you think DJ Khaled is Afro American it is in fact you that is the racist you absolute fool and he’s joking when he says “we the best music”. I love him as all others should. 

Delete your account and start over.

Edited by CanadaFan123

On 6/20/2019 at 3:50 PM, dyslexic nam said:

So in the various threads we are discussing racism, homosexuality, and religion. 

Its too bad there was no actual footy happening that we could discuss.

How did I miss this? 😃

I will need to look over the last few pages.

*Puts coffee down and grabs red pills*

They will be administered shortly.

On 6/17/2019 at 10:34 PM, Shortdutchcanuck said:

Has been one of the most successful marketing campaigns in sports history.  A whole country cheerong for a basketball team from a city the rest of the country hates.

Did you see the streets of Toronto today? 

Not sure if I'll live to see soccer capture the Canadian imagination the way We The North basketball just did.

And good marketing slogans seldom depend on making sense.  They pull on strong emotions and ideas of shared identity.

If the CSA could come up with a marketing campaign a tenth as successful we might actually start getting crowds out for CanMNT games.

The Raptors are the only Canadian team, and the best team, in the best basketball league in the world. That's why they draw huge crowds and the whole country got behind them like CanadaFan123 alluded to.

The slogan is successful no doubt but isn't the cause of the huge support.

On 6/20/2019 at 3:24 PM, Unnamed Trialist said:

Edit: This post of mine was wrong, but I'll leave it up. DJ Khaled was from a Palestinian family. 

I know you live in a left leaning city, from a left leaning province and support a left leaning club and that has indoctrinated you into irrational, far left leaning views so I'm going to take it easy on you. That, and the fact you admitted your post was wrong, but I do not think what you consider wrong about it is the same as what I consider wrong about it.

Please tell me, just so I do not lose anymore respect for you, do you actually think merely criticizing someone of African-American background is racist?

Edited by Macksam

On 6/18/2019 at 11:35 AM, CanadaFan123 said:

DJ Khaled’s “we the best”.  

DJ Khaled is awful. If you interview him, you will hear that he cannot string together two grammatically correct sentences. "North" can be a noun. "best" is an adverb or adjective which makes Khaled obnoxious and "We The North" a great marketing campaign.

Either way,  great campaigns need to be fresh in their appearance; the #CanMNT will need to find something new.

To get this thread back on track, it is interesting to see how far down you need to scroll to find David in this article from his high school (Louis-Riel) in July 2017. :)

http://sportsottawa.com/2017/07/28/class-of-17-looks-to-follow-the-lead-of-past-louis-riel-grads/

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille