Jonathan David

Vince193

4 hours ago, deschamp86 said:

Except that the slogan isn't "We, the North..."

Except that you could say "We the Voyageurs cordially invite you to a pregame..." and it would not matter. No need to be obtuse, it is correct English in any case.

There are plenty of marketing slogans out there that are not grammatically sound, in any case, which does not stop them from being funcionally valid in spite of grammar.

31 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Except that you could say "We the Voyageurs cordially invite you to a pregame..." and it would not matter. No need to be obtuse, it is correct English in any case.

There are plenty of marketing slogans out there that are not grammatically sound, in any case, which does not stop them from being funcionally valid in spite of grammar.

Except you’re the one being obtuse - it does matter because it isn’t English.  It’s a lame attempt to be cool and in the same vein as DJ Khaled’s “we the best”.  Except the raptors aren’t trying to be comedians and that’s what makes it cringe. It’s like Barcelona’s slogan purposely butchering Spanish and being “more than club”.  It’s just idiotic imo. Anyways it’s good for a laugh and people seem to like it and most importantly the raptors are champs.  And champs can do what they want 😂

Edit: sorry for derailing this as well.  Let me just say this to get us back on topic:

David the Ottawa. David the best. 

Edited by CanadaFan123

Let's all just agree that Drake is entertaining even without the music, the Raptors are absolutely amazing, and "we the north" is admittedly cringe, but it's ours, so we'll just roll with it.

Moving on ....

Jonathan David I think (hope) will win the golden boot at this year's Gold Cup. There is one player on 3 and a couple on 2, including David. If he wins it, that would be two tournies in a row a Canadian led the scoring charts. Two Canadian teenagers at that!

Can we just be Canadian and all agree to disagree... Looks like a tie in my eyes.

1. We (Are) The North

In this version it is a slangy way of saying we are the north, kind of like Dj Khalid saying We (Are) The Best.

2. We The North

This one uses the royal 'We' and is grammatically correct on its own, another example of this is from the US constitution "We the people..."

Regardless, incredible marketing campaign, annoying for some, ridiculous financially profitable for others and brought the majority of a nation together, like it or not.

That Jonathan David kid though, glad he plays for the CMNT and not the Raptors :), really hope we see him and Cav on the field together for some majority of minutes before the KO round.

20 minutes ago, apbsmith said:

That Jonathan David... really hope we see him and Cav on the field together for some majority of minutes before the KO round.

One of the reasons I wish we had played more friendlies in the last year was to try out different formations and player combos.  While our back line is our weakest link (on the bell curve of our current squad) it would be interesting to see what an all-out attack squad could do against middling opponents.  Winning a game 6-5 is still winning a game...

37 minutes ago, Yoginess said:

These type of derailments are meant for the dog days when we have no friendlies scheduled and haven't seen the NT in 5 months... no in the middle of the GC 

Can someone decipher the tweet about David staying another year? I was hoping he'd get transfered out. 

Reading between the lines, Gent is telling other teams that if they want to pry away their top player, who won't turn 20 until next January, it'll have to be an offer that knocks their socks off.

1 hour ago, Yoginess said:

These type of derailments are meant for the dog days when we have no friendlies scheduled and haven't seen the NT in 5 months... no in the middle of the GC 

Can someone decipher the tweet about David staying another year? I was hoping he'd get transfered out. 

The manager spoke of transfers yesterday, they finalized a deal of a player coming in and stated David and the Georgian weren’t expected to be sold

7 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Except you’re the one being obtuse - it does matter because it isn’t English.  It’s a lame attempt to be cool and in the same vein as DJ Khaled’s “we the best”.  Except the raptors aren’t trying to be comedians and that’s what makes it cringe. It’s like Barcelona’s slogan purposely butchering Spanish and being “more than club”.  It’s just idiotic imo. Anyways it’s good for a laugh and people seem to like it and most importantly the raptors are champs.  And champs can do what they want 😂

Edit: sorry for derailing this as well.  Let me just say this to get us back on topic:

David the Ottawa. David the best. 

Boy are you confused. I know it is hard to argue why something does not work for you, starting with a gut feeling, but you have to do better than that.

Team slogans are not "lame attempts to be cool", first of all-you should give professionals a bit more credit and not be so simplistic. They are attempts to engage markets and critical masses. Sometimes, when a team wins, or does something unusual, they click, other times they do not. 

In any case, a slogan with a huge following representing unprecedented sales, even before they won, is not "lame". Try again.

And stop being so puerile about it: if you don't like it, give us a real reason, not citing a DJ whose phrase was in a song, has a musical context and does not stand alone. Singers have no requirement to write grammatically correct songs nor to pronounce like on the BBC. So there is really no comparison. Let's not get into the implicit racism of your comments either.

Barça's slogan is not in Spanish, first of all, so you are showing your ignorance. It is also relatively old, and it is radically correct. It was not invented by anyone in a marketing department either, it emerged in the midst of a dictatorship in response to what it meant to people, and there were important thinkers, like Vázquez Montalbán, who backed this view (and he as not even from Catalan stock).

There are a lot of reasons why FCB is more than a club in the positive sense (connection to a national identity, having half a dozen other pro sports teams, promoting amateur teams at a loss, driving social programs, being owned by the fans), which are likely shared by other soccer clubs in the world. But not by many. It is not just about a special sentiment, but the degree of being a stakeholder in it. How many fan-owned clubs are there in the world, where you can vote for the board, reject proposals, vote down a budget and even impeach it, would you say? It's "més que un club" anyway you look at it. 

Edit: I actually read the thread but because there is really no news, this is as good a place as any. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

4 hours ago, jordan said:

The manager spoke of transfers yesterday, they finalized a deal of a player coming in and stated David and the Georgian weren’t expected to be sold

Chatted a little about this at the pub the other night, David being sold on that is, his stock is good and seemingly on the rise.  Good Gold Cup and knock-on-wood a solid start to the league and he may be changing address sooner rather than later.  Guess it depends how open he is to a move and who's doing the inviting at what euro. 

You'd think Gent is a good place for him right now but if he's ambitious and improving it has to be a stop on the road to bigger things.

It is a great situation to be in.

If he stays at Gent, he will continue to develop at a very respectable club and will likely lock down a starting role tha will give him great experience.  

If he moves on, it will only be to a club willing to make the kind of investment required to pry him away from Gent - which means that they will likely give him the chance to maximize his development.  

Given his age, I am perfectly happy with either option for the coming season.  And he has kicked off his GC in a way that will likely increase interest in him whether it leads to a move or not.

1 hour ago, Yoginess said:

^ Agreed. 

And after seeing 1 game of Alphonso Davies I'm willing to soften on the whole, only go where you can get significant minutes. Davies only saw sparse first team minutes and 2nd team minutes in much lower competition but training with elite world talents has clearly helped him.

I saw the same old Davies. The pass to Hoilett was brilliant, and it was a great performance for sure, but not the best we've ever seen from him. His final pass looks to have improved, which is exciting, but we'll see if he can do it against stronger competition and on a consistent basis. 

Edited by Aird25

On 6/17/2019 at 5:39 PM, CanadaFan123 said:

Oh god, so cringe.  Please leave that to the raptors, like it doesn’t even make sense lol. 

Let me get this straight, you come on here bitching about the slogan "We The North", complaining that it "doesn't even make sense".

And to make your point you decided to lead off with such great usage of the english language yourself:  "oh god, so cringe"   ???

GTFOH!

On 6/18/2019 at 12:44 PM, Yoginess said:

Why are so people so insistent on players getting transferred out? Geez, just because he would be hypothetically playing in a bigger club does not mean he changes as a player. For now its perfectly fine for him to stay where he is if thats how things work out. He is developing well, has the coach's trust, is starting games consistently, and scoring goals. Players shouldn't move just for the sake of moving.

Edited by LeoH037

I don't think we need a long-winded analysis for what makes We The North "so cringe" - it's that it's a marketing slogan devised by a team of guys in skinny ties and chicks in chunky glasses.

Some people are cynical about taking up corporate messaging, particularly when it tries to take advantage of people's self-image or a group identity. I personally am one of them but most of the time "IDGAF" enough to comment.

I think we can all agree from a Mad Men standpoint though that We The North beats the shit out of Leafs Nation as a slogan.

The team of guys in skinny ties and chicks in chunky glasses also got rid of the We the North slogan after one year. They switched to North over Everything to obviously sell a fresh load of merchandise and thinking like most corporate marketing types that a new campaign is needed every year.

It flopped and they went back to We the North. So they had no clue what they had. 

The Canadian Winter Olympic team uses a similar line - We are Winter.

What irks me is that teams like the Raptors and Jays jump on the Canada's team bandwagon and the Canadian public falls for it. While real national teams made up of all Canadians are given little love except for a couple of weeks during the Olympics. 

4 hours ago, LeoH037 said:

Why are so people so insistent on players getting transferred out? Geez, just because he would be hypothetically playing in a bigger club does not mean he changes as a player. For now its perfectly fine for him to stay where he is if thats how things work out. He is developing well, has the coach's trust, is starting games consistently, and scoring goals. Players shouldn't move just for the sake of moving.

That comment really didn't seem all that insistent to me?! Anyways, in addition to the many possible arguments for wanting David to challenge himself at the top level, for me, I'd prefer if he was transferred to a league that I follow and take interest in. I'd simply like to watch him play more.

Additionally, considering his production, I actually think he deserved more starts than he was given last season. He was the leading scorer on the team and he was stapled to the bench for a good chunk of the season, following a strong start. In the end, i don't think he could have started much more than half of Gents games last season. If he does stay, I hope he's seriously being considered in a leading role next season. 

Edited by Aird25

58 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

That comment really didn't seem all that insistent to me?! Anyways, in addition to the many possible arguments for wanting David to challenge himself at the top level, for me, I'd prefer if he was transferred to a league that I follow and take interest in. I'd simply like to watch him play more.

Additionally, considering his production, I actually think he deserved more starts than he was given last season. He was the leading scorer on the team and he was stapled to the bench for a good chunk of the season, following a strong start. In the end, i don't think he could have started much more than half of Gents games last season. If he does stay, I hope he's seriously being considered in a leading role next season. 

David was a regular starter for Gent after he turned 19 back in January.  He was improving steadily as the season progressed and by the playoff round, he was arguably the top attacking option on a decent Europa level team, finishing as the top scorer on the team with half the minutes of the other attackers.

He's a full time player from the very start of next season and if he gets any decent support from the other attackers, should be pushing 20 goals.