Jonathan David

Vince193

10 minutes ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

But there is an MLS player on the list...

I gotta say, this list seems very Euro-centric. Not a single player from a non-European team, EXCEPT a lone exception - Barco from Atlanta United. So no players from any club in South America, Mexico/Central America, Asia, Africa, etc.... 

I know, but Barco is mostly here for his Argentina U20 performances and he has a lot of appearances in Argentina.'s top division and he was already a highly-thoughted prospect when he came to Atlanta. As good as Davies is, I don't know how much stock you can put in on a  MLS-developed player since not a lot of them have had success. David has more since he plays in Belgium and we've seen great players coming up from the Belgian League. We just haven't seen some from MLS. (I know about Almiron, but Almiron was not developed in MLS, he was 23 when he came into MLS)

(And yes, I call Whitecaps academy MLS)

Edited by Blackdude

1 hour ago, Ivan said:

Maybe I  am missing something, but has Barco been anywhere near as dominant an MLS player that Davies was? 

He’s been good but not at Davies level.  Also keep in mind he was on the best team in MLS and still didn’t match the Phonzs numbers (or play LB at all).  I can only imagine the numbers Davies would put up on that team.  

It makes sense that a French website would be Euro-centric. Seeing Blackdude mention Barco's U20 play with Argentina reminded me of the one, non-MLS reason Davies had a shot of making the list (although it's probably too long ago now to hold much weight).

I believe, with about 98% certainty, that Alphonso Davies was the youngest winner of a continental (or world) championship golden boot when he won the golden boot in the 2017 Gold Cup. I've never seen it mentioned in the media anywhere, but I tried to research it at the time. I didn't find anyone younger (wikipedia was my main source) and only found a couple of players from early years that I didn't find birth dates for.

I think Davies golden boot is a bit overrated. Great achievement but let’s be real, 3 goals and winning on minutes played tiebreaker isn’t blowing away competition. Not to say it’s not impressive that a 16 year old got 3 goals.

back to David, he’s only 16 goals off of the Canada record no?

15 minutes ago, Yoginess said:

I think Davies golden boot is a bit overrated. Great achievement but let’s be real, 3 goals and winning on minutes played tiebreaker isn’t blowing away competition. Not to say it’s not impressive that a 16 year old got 3 goals.

back to David, he’s only 16 goals off of the Canada record no?

Too bad we have been playing so few games, if we start playing friendlies again he could break that record before 2026 WC.  

42 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Too bad we have been playing so few games, if we start playing friendlies again he could break that record before 2026 WC.  

I don’t think we need more friendlies for him to beat it before 2026. Just this year we will play another 6-8 games. We will have another 3 gold cups before 2026. Then all the nations league games. Then who knows maybe Qatar ? He could see another 40ish caps before 2026. He is definitely capable of .4 goals per game. Especially when you consider he is only going to get better as well as the players around him. 

2 hours ago, Bison44 said:

I could see him breaking it by 2022. He only needs 17 goals right? He'll be in double digits by 2020 at this rate. From there, he's only 12 away.

As great as David has been, his goal rate is going to slowly decrease as we play better competition more regularly.  If you look at 4 Nations League games and this Gold Cup game: During those 5 games, David has 6 goals.  In that same period,  Cavallini has 5 goals and Hoilett has 4.  Those 3 are averaging a combined 3 goals a game over the period.

Love to see all the scoring now for Canada!

Hasn't he only started 3 of those matches for Canada, and been primarily used as a winger? Even with Gent many of his appearances have been as a substitute/and or being played as a winger or in midfield. I don't think we've really seen what the kid can do as the main focal point of an attack yet. 

3 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Oh god, so cringe.  Please leave that to the raptors, like it doesn’t even make sense lol. 

Has been one of the most successful marketing campaigns in sports history.  A whole country cheerong for a basketball team from a city the rest of the country hates.

Did you see the streets of Toronto today? 

Not sure if I'll live to see soccer capture the Canadian imagination the way We The North basketball just did.

And good marketing slogans seldom depend on making sense.  They pull on strong emotions and ideas of shared identity.

If the CSA could come up with a marketing campaign a tenth as successful we might actually start getting crowds out for CanMNT games.

1 hour ago, Shortdutchcanuck said:

Has been one of the most successful marketing campaigns in sports history.  A whole country cheerong for a basketball team from a city the rest of the country hates.

Did you see the streets of Toronto today? 

Not sure if I'll live to see soccer capture the Canadian imagination the way We The North basketball just did.

And good marketing slogans seldom depend on making sense.  They pull on strong emotions and ideas of shared identity.

If the CSA could come up with a marketing campaign a tenth as successful we might actually start getting crowds out for CanMNT games.

Please.  We The North lives off the Raptors.. the Raptors aren't successful because of the slogan.  If they were 29th in the NBA the slogan would be irrelevant.  The fact is that Canada rallies around their single team.. the same way they do for the Blue Jays.

Toronto isn't even the most northern NBA team and Canadians are generally literate at 99%, so "We The North" is idiotic IMO. 

1 hour ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Please.  We The North lives off the Raptors.. the Raptors aren't successful because of the slogan.  If they were 29th in the NBA the slogan would be irrelevant.  The fact is that Canada rallies around their single team.. the same way they do for the Blue Jays.

Toronto isn't even the most northern NBA team and Canadians are generally literate at 99%, so "We The North" is idiotic IMO. 

I think you’re overthinking it, it’s just a thing about being Canada’s only team and since Canada is generally north to the USA we the North means we represent Canada. It doesnt have anything to do with latitudinal lines, and it’s also possibly a play on words of the USA’s we the people.

The comments about the Raptors are about as dumb as those you hear from people who dislike soccer and then come up with all sorts of categorical criticisms of nitpicky stuff. It just sounds like sour grapes from the outside looking in. 

If you like the NBA, and the Raptors, and watched the games, the entire playoffs were amazing, the character of the team was quite admirable (really no prima donnas, not like the  Warriors team), the marketing and branding was superb, the slogans are very well done and people should take a lesson (compare to Strength in Numbers for Golden State, which I take to mean the have the refs on their side). It is very strong example of sporting success and organisational success. 

Even the way they built the team, the very radical decisions made by the FO a year ago, almost without precedent, are worthy of study: the difference between being very good and wanting to be champion. TFC should take a lesson.

For me, the only thing that is pure self-aggrandizing showboating is the Drake business, he is just a mediocre musician, and as a person, lower than that. But I'll give him this: no one can keep harping about a Drake curse after the Leafs went down.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

3 hours ago, SkuseisLoose said:

I think you’re overthinking it, it’s just a thing about being Canada’s only team and since Canada is generally north to the USA we the North means we represent Canada. It doesnt have anything to do with latitudinal lines, and it’s also possibly a play on words of the USA’s we the people.

Apart from the fact that "We the North" is perfectly correct in grammatical terms, although  you could add a comma, since "the North" is a clarification of the we.

It is the beginning of a phrase: "We, the Voyageurs, are pleased to invite you to our pregame meet up in Reims...." It depends on the context.

23 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Apart from the fact that "We the North" is perfectly correct in grammatical terms, although  you could add a comma, since "the North" is a clarification of the we.

It is the beginning of a phrase: "We, the Voyageurs, are pleased to invite you to our pregame meet up in Reims...." It depends on the context.

Except that the slogan isn't "We, the North..."