Jonathan David

Vince193

Do you guys think he gets called in the fall to the national team, and which side do you think? I'd rather see him with the U20s in qualifying, especially since I don't think Davies will be on that team. He could see time before the end of the year with the senior team in the other windows anyhow.

Just now, Vince193 said:

Do you guys think he gets called in the fall to the national team, and which side do you think? I'd rather see him with the U20s in qualifying, especially since I don't think Davies will be on that team. He could see time before the end of the year with the senior team in the other windows anyhow.

I’m guessing he’s gonna be with the u20s in September and October.  In November I’d hope we cap tie him (though that’s our toughest match).

3 hours ago, Vince193 said:

Hopefully Davies does, it is during a international window. Even if the caps do get pissed off with him going, what are they going to do? Bench one of their best players for his remaining 1 month at the team

2 minutes ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

This kid was born and raised in Canada, is a Canadian youth international, Canad is co-hosting the WC in 2026 when he'll be in his prime, AND Canada is 25 places ahead of Haiti in the world rankings.

I'd say it's a safe bet he sticks with us unless we don't call him for a few years or something crazy!

Really agree with this. Plus, in the last years, the players that we lost where guys who where never called by the CMNT (Geffrard, Cantave, Sanon). So, unless we dont call him up for a long period of time he won’t stop playing for us. 

Given the way he is playing I can’t imagine he won’t be called up. 

On 8/5/2018 at 10:46 AM, Vince193 said:

David will get more minutes and AJH form has plateaued. Don't see why David can't jump ahead of him as our no. 3 striker behind Cavallini and Larin. So he should be called.

I think he'll get a call for at least one game this qualifying round and we'll cap him. 

1) Herdman has a reputation for blooding youth and 2026 is clearly our main target. I see him bringing in players like David asap with an eye on 2026.

2) If this guy is playing regularly for Gent he's going to be called based on merit.

Gent are not the biggest Belgian club, but they always seem to be competitive.

At least on paper, I would say they are at least of a similar level to your typical MLS team, and if we have a young striker playing regularly in MLS he's in the conversation for a NT call.

On a less serious note: we'll have a Davies, and we'll have a David. I am waiting for a "Davis" to emerge...

Edited by Obinna

I expect he’ll get a call up this year or next and then get capped as a late game sub to to secure him then hope he continues to develop.

Gent isn’t one of the big teams in Belgium but they play Europa League most years.  If he becomes a regular for them he’ll become a regular for us and also look for a bigger league in a couple years.  Belgium is a great league in that respect for him.

Basically almost every young player that we have it gets mentioned that they should avoid a top league. And instead head to the Netherlands or Belgium because they would do a better job developing them. Now we will see how it goes. Between Europa League and league play they will have alot of games, so hopefully should get some decent playing time.

As was mentioned elsewhere Panama called up 2 Gent II players for their World Cup squad. Both of which are older and have never made it to the first team.

That’s probably because the Netherlands and Belgium are the ideal place for our younger better prospects to develop.  Those leagues offer very high quality competition and development and they’re also a major conduit for the bigger leagues of Europe.

Jonathan David is literally in a perfect spot for a talented 18 year old prospect.  I hope it works out for him.

19 hours ago, PopePouri said:

David will get more minutes and AJH form has plateaued. Don't see why David can't jump ahead of him as our no. 3 striker behind Cavallini and Larin. So he should be called.

Hell, If David keeps improving I could see him start to wrestle for the #1 spot himself eventually. 18 years old and already playing in top flight European soccer, that is no small feat... imagine where he could be once he reaches Larin's current age if he keeps working hard

3 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Higher than MLS

It's not higher.  I think Gent would be a good MLS team. I don't think that they would be  the top team. So I disagree it being higher. Also, can you give me something that proves that MLS. And you still haven proven that Belgium is a higher league than MLS aside from the fact that you hate MLS. Seriously, I don't think Obinna's take is wrong, because it is similar. It's not like he's playing Anderlecht every week.

45 minutes ago, Blackdude said:

It's not higher.  I think Gent would be a good MLS team. I don't think that they would be  the top team. So I disagree it being higher. Also, can you give me something that proves that MLS. And you still haven proven that Belgium is a higher league than MLS aside from the fact that you hate MLS. Seriously, I don't think Obinna's take is wrong, because it is similar. It's not like he's playing Anderlecht every week.

I should have added "in my opinion". By watching some of their games, I think that they just play better consistent football and it's more fluid. Sure MLS have firepower and flashes of brilliance but I just find it inconsistent and there's a nagging lack of depth on teams. It's not about "hate" but just seeing the reality of the limitations of a salary cap league. DP, TAM and other financial acrobatics helped the league upgrade, but let's not kid ourselves here, there's room for improvement here and let's not pretend that 1 or 2 DP being hurt doesn't affect the overall performance of the team, it's quite pronounced and the disparity between top players and lower end players is quite significant, much more so than most Euro league including Belgium. Again, the reality of a salary cap league and their own restrictions. No doubt in my mind that no salary cap and less restrictions would make my observation obsolete.

In regards to MLS, I care about our teams, I could care less about the league, not due to hate, just because the league gives me no reason to relate to it. It's not hate my friend, just indifference outside of Canadian clubs.

Another reason I respect Euro leagues/system. They have deeper teams. They have very heavy schedules between league games, Domestic Cups, Europe or Champions League games and in some case, qualification games. When I look at this forum, there's always talk of "byes" for MLS teams, CCL changed it's format to "accommodate" MLS more often than none. So you understand why I think that an MLS teams wouldn't do as great in Libertadores or Europa or Champions League. They dont have the depth to handle it, hence despite having the talent to win games, they can't survive a campaign. That's why I never bother to debate how MLS teams would do in those other continental tournaments.

It's not hate, I just see it for what it is. 

PS: Been a HUGE fan of Montreal since their champions League run in 2009, became TFC fan after moving to Toronto even at their most atrocious level. Now, I still follow their progress, but not involved as I used to be. That league makes it hard to care for it so it's hard to be fully engaged even if you like the teams.

That's just me.

I won't derail the thread further.

Feel free to create a thread of you wish to push it further or message me directly.

Back to the star of this thread Jonathan David

Edited by Ansem

I don't know about this year since I haven't watched them or followed their movements but over the last few years they are hands down above the best teams in the MLS, they played in the champions league and made it to the knockout round a few years ago.  One season to the next who knows, but they have a pedigree that matters in club soccer.  

22 minutes ago, Ansem said:

I should have added "in my opinion". By watching some of their games, I think that they just play better consistent football and it's more fluid. Sure MLS have firepower and flashes of brilliance but I just find it inconsistent and there's a nagging lack of depth on teams. It's not about "hate" but just seeing the reality of the limitations of a salary cap league. DP, TAM and other financial acrobatics helped the league upgrade, but let's not kid ourselves here, there's room for improvement here and let's not pretend that 1 or 2 DP being hurt doesn't affect the overall performance of the team, it's quite pronounced and the disparity between top players and lower end players is quite significant, much more so than most Euro league including Belgium. Again, the reality of a salary cap league and their own restrictions. No doubt in my mind that no salary cap and less restrictions would make my observation obsolete.

In regards to MLS, I care about our teams, I could care less about the league, not due to hate, just because the league gives me no reason to relate to it. It's not hate my friend, just indifference outside of Canadian clubs.

Another reason I respect Euro leagues/system. They have deeper teams. They have very heavy schedules between league games, Domestic Cups, Europe or Champions League games and in some case, qualification games. When I look at this thread, there's always talk of "byes" for MLS teams, CCL changed it's format to "accommodate" MLS more often than none. So you understand why I think that an MLS teams wouldn't do as great in Libertadores or Europa or Champions League. They dont have the depth to handle it, hence despite having the talent to win games, they can't survive a campaign. That's why I never bother to debate how MLS teams would do in those other continental tournaments.

It's not hate, I just see it for what it is. 

PS: Been a HUGE fan of Montreal since their champions League run in 2009, became TFC fan after moving to Toronto even at their most atrocious level. Now, I still follow their progress, but not involved as I used to be. That league makes it hard to care for it so it's hard to be fully engaged even if you like the teams.

That's just me.

I won't derail the thread further.

Feel free to create a thread of you wish to push it further or message me directly.

Back to the star of this thread Jonathan David

I can't help but wonder how much of your opinion on Gent vs MLS teams is colored by your negative views on the league's mechanisms/indifference towards Canada.

Admittedly, I don't watch Gent regularly, but that'll change now that David looks to be breaking through. I'll keep an open mind, and maybe i'll see the same things as you. Maybe not.

What I do know is that Gent on paper is similar to most MLS teams. I'll take a closer look when I get the chance.

Edit: well just had a quick look. Compared the roster of Gent versus whatever MLS team I picked at random (ended up being RSL). 

I think you can make a case for RSL having less depth, but really both teams have players with full international caps with Countries ranging from Nigeria to Wales to Croatia to Slovakia to Georgia to Ecuador.

Of course, the game is played on the field, not on paper, but at least comparing the rosters reveals not much of a difference between both teams.

Edited by Obinna

3 minutes ago, villus said:

I don't know about this year since I haven't watched them or followed their movements but over the last few years they are hands down above the best teams in the MLS, they played in the champions league and made it to the knockout round a few years ago.  One season to the next who knows, but they have a pedigree that matters in club soccer.  

They had as many points that season (10) than all the Belgium champs in the 2 seasons before and after in the Group Stage (That's 4 Champions' League Campaigns). That's why I don't think that domestically, the Belgian League is better than MLS. DC United is a much better team than Eupen. That's what I'm saying. MLS's system makes it that the worst team is still not that bad while BElgium's first division has a lot of teams that aren'T good. I do like that their top 6 teams are playing each other at the end of the season to determine their champion which makes for higher competition if they make it, but if they don't, I don't think that it's better to be in the Europa League qualification bracket.