Jonathan David

Vince193

10 hours ago, toontownman said:

Cristante?  *ducks for cover* 

@Free kick what is this De-Ro to Newcastle saga? I vaguely remember maybe a link in passing in the papers but nothing more. Celtic for sure. Newcastle in Australia?

DeRo caused Kevin Keegan to walk out on Man City when the club refused his request to buy DDR because they'd never heard of him and didn't trust an MLS player to be successful in the EPL. I know nothing about any links to Newcastle. He also could have signed a January deal with Blackburn, when they were still in the EPL. He chose not to back himself and signed an improved contract with Houston, instead.

With Renato Sanches out with meniscus surgery until at least October, Lille's cashing in on his Euros form is off for this window.  

Watching their last game they also need a central midfielder (more even than a keeper) unless they think the Onana kid they just got can step up.  That middle of the park was open to all comers with Yazici there. 

Related to above: did anyone else feel Renato Sanches was far better for Portugal in the Euros than what you'd seen for Lille? For me, an entirely different player, and one I could understand was a desireable option for a team looking for a mid. What he'd do at Lille, despite injuries, seemed far less interesting. 

Imagine if they'd hired a coach able to alter the way of playing and get some quality positional, possession and tactical play out of the group (read between the lines: bench Ikone and Bamba)

11 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Related to above: did anyone else feel Renato Sanches was far better for Portugal in the Euros than what you'd seen for Lille? For me, an entirely different player, and one I could understand was a desireable option for a team looking for a mid. What he'd do at Lille, despite injuries, seemed far less interesting. 

Imagine if they'd hired a coach able to alter the way of playing and get some quality positional, possession and tactical play out of the group (read between the lines: bench Ikone and Bamba)

Sanches has been getting linked with Liverpool in the media since before the January transfer window opened. On Liverpool FB groups and on Twitter, I've seen people claim that he's 'coming off a great season with Lille' or similar. I always just reply with a simple question...."how many Lille games did you actually watch last season?" As a Liverpool supporter, I'd much rather they give more minutes to Curtis Jones and Harvey Elliot, let alone Naby Keita, Oxlade-Chamberlain, and James Milner. None of those 5 are in the first-choice 3, everyone being fit, but I'd play any of them in a one-off match before I would Renato Sanches.

39 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

Sanches has been getting linked with Liverpool in the media since before the January transfer window opened. On Liverpool FB groups and on Twitter, I've seen people claim that he's 'coming off a great season with Lille' or similar. I always just reply with a simple question...."how many Lille games did you actually watch last season?" As a Liverpool supporter, I'd much rather they give more minutes to Curtis Jones and Harvey Elliot, let alone Naby Keita, Oxlade-Chamberlain, and James Milner. None of those 5 are in the first-choice 3, everyone being fit, but I'd play any of them in a one-off match before I would Renato Sanches.

I never bought that link. Probably just his agent trying to drum up interest. How about the Ikone link? Absolute pile of shit. The only players that would fit at Liverpool from Lille are David and Botman, and now that Liverpool seem to have shored up their defense somewhat after last year, I don't even know if Botman would make as much sense anymore. Liverpool aren't crying for a 9 but they're not far off it. Firmino's days are numbered and David's play style would fit nicely into that front three.

L'Equipe seems to think it will be Yazici starting over David. If that's the case I hope it's because there's a potential transfer on the horizon and not because the new manager doesn't seem him an important part of the starting XI. This new manager is not winning many people over. I was hopeful for this season after David's end to the last season but I'm not encouraged so far... We'll see what the lineup is though. David needs to open his account for the season sooner than later.

Just slipped in the box when it would have been a great scoring chance.  Also had a great opportunity earlier where he hit the keeper.  I know it is too early to draw too many conclusions but the start of this season is looking a bit  like the start to last season for him.  

Subbed off in the 82nd minute.  

Edited by dyslexic nam

So frustrating. 

Ikone breaks for Lille 3 on 2 with David WIDE open on his right. He waits a step too long then has to slice a pass across too far for David and he slips in desperation just adding insult to injury. 

Then gets taken off capping off a “frustrating” to say the least, match for Jo including a point blank shot directly at the keeper and some disappointing balls played into him where he was surely in on goal. 

Hr leave with nothing really to show for despite indirectly assisting the only goal thus far. Poor guy 

Edited by OhCanadaOhBaby