2 hours ago, Macksam said:

He's got the potential to be good enough for any top club IMO. I think he would actually produce a lot more for a club like United, an offensive team that can provide actual service to him.

Agreed but he wouldn’t start right now and is Greenwood the guy he wants to fight for backup time ?

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Guys, it is fun to spell this out. There was a very big game today. Mbappe, Neymar, di Maria, and David all entered the field. Only one of those players left with a goal, and got the 3 points for the

Here's the translated article:   Jonathan David (Lille): “I wasn't ready” Jonathan David, the Canadian center forward from Lille, scorer of three goals in his last four matches, talks abou

some positive news here. Galtier saying David is healing much faster than anticipated and he’s walking around well. He definitely won’t play the next two matches but it sounds like he should return be

Posted Images

Lille have financial issues and have been a selling club in recent years - Although they have also been willing to reinvest some of those sales euros back into the play squad (e.g. bring in David for  $30M).  Lille is not the type of club to hold onto players and build for the future.  They are smart enough to know that the league is always PSG's to lose, they cannot compete on salaries and transfer fees, and they are best to cash in their assets now when they can receive top dollar.  If they believe that David's will improve and make them more money next year, then they will hold on to him.  If they get a good offer now, they will sell.  For a club where the owner has financial issues, and is saddled with stadium debt while covering costs in a pandemic year,  I suspect that Lille will lose three or four players this year.  

Personally, I hope that he does not move to ManU. Ol Gunner and Woodward have not been investing in youth - including giving them enough time to settle.  I fear that he would be another Van de Beek, and be pine riding despite his talent.  I think he can make the jump to a big club, but I think he should be choosy and find one will give youth a chance - including time to settle in.  

5 minutes ago, WheatsheafSK said:

I think he can make the jump to a big club, but I think he should be choosy and find one will give youth a chance - including time to settle in.  

The good news is that David seems to prioritize the same sorts of considerations that we do when looking for a transfer.  Say what you want about Lille’s playing style, but the club invested in him and stuck with him despite a pretty sparse production rate early on.  I am sure he will take the same sort of approach with any future moves to make sure it is the right fit for him.  

I also David could play for any club. His slow start may have hurt his value, but I think he is worth more than what Lille paid, so if they can receive an offer of +35M, they might sell if they are having financial difficulties.

Just to put things in perspective, David is just 21 years old and has scored 9 goals in his last 14 matches for Lille. He also scores against big teams, with goals against Monaco, PSG, Lyon, Rennes and a brace against Marseille.

If I am a big club looking for a forward I definitely would be interested in David.

2 hours ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

I also David could play for any club. His slow start may have hurt his value, but I think he is worth more than what Lille paid, so if they can receive an offer of +35M, they might sell if they are having financial difficulties.

Just to put things in perspective, David is just 21 years old and has scored 9 goals in his last 14 matches for Lille. He also scores against big teams, with goals against Monaco, PSG, Lyon, Rennes and a brace against Marseille.

If I am a big club looking for a forward I definitely would be interested in David.

I agree he has a high ceiling. But Lille is not set up to favour his virtues. I also think he is lacking a bit of dribble and lateral mobility, as well as back-to-defender hold up play. All of which he would be doing on other teams where coaching required it. For example, I don't think he has much to offer any top Spanish team the way he plays, none of the top sides uses a striker that way, not one has any scoring like he does. Not saying, I insist, he could not learn. But he is not learning as things are now.

Lille won't sell him. I think there are 4-5 other players who will go first. I have heard of rumours about Maignan the keeper, Soumare (no idea why his value is so high), and Renato Sanches. Those three would get them upward of 75 million euros, about 25 each. They'd be smart not to see Botman yet, he's still 21 years old. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist
5 minutes ago, Bdog said:

So PSG lost to Man City today, I wonder if they'll rest everyone for the league game this Saturday since the next leg is on Tuesday. They could end up dropping points due to the CL.

I can't see them taking any risks whatsoever in the league.

10 hours ago, Obinna said:

Agreed. That's why I am thinking the 40-50 range. I can't see anyone paying anymore than that. I also think Lille would take low 40s. It doesn't sound like they are in the position to be greedy. They'll still make +10M. Yilmaz can definitely lead the line for another season. Seems likely to me he'll be sold, along with Ikone and Botman. 

If I were Lille I would keep Bamba and Sanches, if I could. The keeper too could probably fetch them decent money, so that'll be interesting to see what happens there.

I think the problem with Sanches is big wages, not sure they can afford to not sell him. I don't know if they can realistically keep anyone of decent value, I think their finances might be even worse than we think. There are rumours that Galtier will go to Nice at the end of the season, which is insane to even be contemplated.

Imagine if Lille win the title and their manager leaves for a mid table club while they sell multiple (i.e. 4-6) key players. Has anything like that happened in recent memory?

37 minutes ago, El Diego said:

I think the problem with Sanches is big wages, not sure they can afford to not sell him. I don't know if they can realistically keep anyone of decent value, I think their finances might be even worse than we think. There are rumours that Galtier will go to Nice at the end of the season, which is insane to even be contemplated.

Imagine if Lille win the title and their manager leaves for a mid table club while they sell multiple (i.e. 4-6) key players. Has anything like that happened in recent memory?

For Galtier, I'm sure the attraction of living in the French Riviera over Flanders has a part to play in that. At his age I don't think he has anything to prove anymore, especially if he wins the title with Lille. If it were me, I'd be all over that.

6 hours ago, frmr said:

For Galtier, I'm sure the attraction of living in the French Riviera over Flanders has a part to play in that. At his age I don't think he has anything to prove anymore, especially if he wins the title with Lille. If it were me, I'd be all over that.

I’ve read Nice are offering to double his salary, so that certainly doesn’t hurt either. 

9 hours ago, El Diego said:

Leicester City maybe?  I can't remember the timing or all the details, but if I do remember correctly, I think Ranieri, Mahrez, Kante, Drinkwater all left shortly after that incredible season.

In 2000 Lazio won Serie A. The did manage to finish 3rd the following season.

But due to a financial scandal they ended up selling all their stars: Nesta, Nedved, Veron, etc. But it happend over a number of years.

Another similar situation was Leeds around the same time. However they never won a title.

32 minutes ago, costarg said:

Leicester City maybe?  I can't remember the timing or all the details, but if I do remember correctly, I think Ranieri, Mahrez, Kante, Drinkwater all left shortly after that incredible season.

That's what I was thinking except Ranieri was sacked the next season. Funny to see Drinkwater playing against Besiktas a few weeks back.

19 hours ago, WheatsheafSK said:

Lille have financial issues and have been a selling club in recent years - Although they have also been willing to reinvest some of those sales euros back into the play squad (e.g. bring in David for  $30M).  Lille is not the type of club to hold onto players and build for the future.  They are smart enough to know that the league is always PSG's to lose, they cannot compete on salaries and transfer fees, and they are best to cash in their assets now when they can receive top dollar.  If they believe that David's will improve and make them more money next year, then they will hold on to him.  If they get a good offer now, they will sell.  For a club where the owner has financial issues, and is saddled with stadium debt while covering costs in a pandemic year,  I suspect that Lille will lose three or four players this year.  

Personally, I hope that he does not move to ManU. Ol Gunner and Woodward have not been investing in youth - including giving them enough time to settle.  I fear that he would be another Van de Beek, and be pine riding despite his talent.  I think he can make the jump to a big club, but I think he should be choosy and find one will give youth a chance - including time to settle in.  

I think United play their youth plenty. Outside of Cavani, nobody is really old. For strikers/wingers they have Rashford, James, Greenwood playing lots right now and they’re young. Martial is still relatively young. Van de Beek is really the only young player who should feel hard done by. And he plays the same position as Bruno Fernandes, who is instrumental in everything they do. 

That being said, it would still be a bit risky for David to move there just because of the amount of attacking talent they have. It wouldn’t be that unexpected to see him end up on the bench a lot if Rashford, Martial, or Greenwood are really lighting it up at striker.

1 hour ago, costarg said:

Mahrez stayed for two more years and Drinkwater one more year. Kante was the only one to leave right after their win. Ranieri was sacked in the middle of the next season.

44 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

Four years ago, Monaco won Ligue Un, then promptly sold Mbappe, Bernardo Silva, Mendy, and Bakayoko. They held onto Fabinho, Lemar, and Moutinho for another season, but not much more than 12 months after their title triumph, they'd gutted that whole team.

That's a good shout. They did try to replace those guys (Jovetic, Balde, Kongolo, Tielemans) but man, there were some great names on Monaco title winning team. It will be interesting to see if Lille keep spending (or if they even can).

50 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

Four years ago, Monaco won Ligue Un, then promptly sold Mbappe, Bernardo Silva, Mendy, and Bakayoko. They held onto Fabinho, Lemar, and Moutinho for another season, but not much more than 12 months after their title triumph, they'd gutted that whole team.

That's one helluva fire sale.  Lille has some pretty valuable pieces, not sure how much of a hole they're in, but they can make some serious cash with their stars.  I'd bet their parts are more valuable than the entire car.