Jonathan David

Vince193

5 minutes ago, One American said:

I would say that 10-ish goals and tied for 10th in the league is a little disappointing, for a guy who Lille broke their bank for and who is supposed to be making a pit stop in France before moving on to better things.  Obviously he's played a lot better lately. 

Don't forget the 2 "own goals" he didn't get credit for which were highly debatable, the 2 goals called back because his shirt was too loose and a sleeve blew in the wind ahead of the defender (again both highly debatable), and the 3 or 4 penalties he won for others to score on.  He missed a penalty as well. 

Maybe he didn't lead Ligue 1 in scoring, but I think his year was pretty good after an admittedly poor start. 

10 minutes ago, One American said:

I would say that 10-ish goals and tied for 10th in the league is a little disappointing, for a guy who Lille broke their bank for and who is supposed to be making a pit stop in France before moving on to better things.  Obviously he's played a lot better lately. 

double post

Edited by Ivan
double post

6 minutes ago, One American said:

I know this guy is a troll. But since I was just doing some calculations out of curiosity before reading this post. I will post them here.

If you remove the start of his season up until he scored his first goal he has been on 20 goal pace since then. However he didn’t really hit form until 12 games ago. Since then he has been on 25 goal pace. Now if you add 1 of the multiple own goals he has lost out on that number only goes up. So I think it’s safe to say he would be good for 18+ goals next season, however I hope he leaves Lille personally.

8 minutes ago, sebdeserio said:

And then you realize that if this result holds, his goals are worth around 10 points in a title chase. Plus he went from playing behind 2 strikers in a weaker league to leading the line for the first time, at 20 years old. But you already knew all that.

There are 4 teams in France who have broken away from the field. All of the other teams have 59 goals. Lille has 51. 

4 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

Lille also has the lowest goals against in the league as well.  There are more than one way to win a championship.

I think the implication is that David's part of the reason why Lille doesn't have more goals.

2 minutes ago, Cheeta said:

Yeesh.  David looks like Hell.

I am hoping it is largely precautionary. If is was really serious he wouldn’t be in the stands.  Crutches are to keep weight off it and ice is to reduce swelling.  It looks like a bit deal but I think it is just that they want to make sure the recovery is as fast as possible.  

Not saying he will play the next game or anything.  But I doubt he misses more than one or two.  

13 minutes ago, One American said:

If I had said in September that David would end the year with 9 or 10 goals, everyone here would have accused me of trolling. So I would say, yeah, 10 goals, especially after Lille paid 30 million for him, would be a little disappointing, for the entire season, on the whole. 

The season isn’t over yet. There are still 7 matches to be played. I think he has a good chance at ending up with 12+ goals and being the leading scorer for the league winners. I wouldn’t be disappointed at all with that

1 minute ago, dyslexic nam said:

I am hoping it is largely precautionary. If is was really serious he wouldn’t be in the stands.  Crutches are to keep weight off it and ice is to reduce swelling.  It looks like a bit deal but I think it is just that they want to make sure the recovery is as fast as possible.  

Also more important since the protocol these days is for players to climb up the stairs and sit in the stands when not playing rather than the subs bench.

14 minutes ago, One American said:

If I had said in September that David would end the year with 9 or 10 goals, everyone here would have accused me of trolling. So I would say, yeah, 10 goals, especially after Lille paid 30 million for him, would be a little disappointing, for the entire season, on the whole. 

The irony of posting this during a game where David’s lone goal could have just won Lille the title is pretty hilarious.  

Of course we all wish he had a better start to the campaign.  But at least some of that comes from his teammates who have tended to be very selfish with the ball.   As this has improved, so has David’s output.  And the way he has impacted Lille’s fortunes cannot be debated.   His multiple crucial game winning goals cannot be debated.  Record signing or not, he was a 20 year old kid who had a ton of weight on his shoulders and had to play a new role in a new team in a harder league. 

If Lille manage to win the league I am pretty sure Galtier will be very happy with the investment in David.   

2 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

The irony of posting this during a game where David’s lone goal could have just won Lille the title is pretty hilarious.  

Of course we all wish he had a better start to the campaign.  But at least some of that comes from his teammates who have tended to be very selfish with the ball.   As this has improved, so has David’s output.  And the way he has impacted Lille’s fortunes cannot be debated.   His multiple crucial game winning goals cannot be debated.  Record signing or not, he was a 20 year old kid who had a ton of weight on his shoulders and had to play a new role in a new team in a harder league. 

If Lille manage to win the league I am pretty sure Galtier will be very happy with the investment in David.   

He also made the transition during a pandemic, and admitted to not being in game shape to start the season. Luckily it does t seem like his slow start to the season should affect him in the future.

It's actually 10 goals, plus 3 own-goals caused, plus 3 PK's he's drawn for other players to score, plus one primary assist. Which is a pretty healthy percentage of the number of goals he's directly produced for the team overall. That would only be a little disappointing if one was foolish enough to expect him for some reason to be blasting in 20-25 goals for a team that plays very defensively and for whom half the players still don't know when to pass the ball (not a surprise that Lille won without their worst culprit in recent weeks in that regard, Araujo, not taking the field), and despite having started year understandably slowly given he hadn't played in 5 months prior to the start of the season (unlike all of his teammates) and was adjusting to a new league and a different position.

38 minutes ago, One American said:

If you think David’s current strike rate with Lille is disappointing, then you must be down right embarrassed by the strike rate of literally any current American in a top 5 league 😬 the striker who tops your depth chart, Sargent, has 11 goals in 61 games 😬

Edited by N1ckbr0wn

Considering the support in games and the selfishness of team mates around him, playing as a lone striker which doesnt suit him and taking a big step up in the level of play David has done just fine. 

Definitely for the price tag people are going to want more but he has started to settle and the goals have come. If they played in a style that suits his play and used him properly he likely would have had 5-10 more.

He will be fine. It's just a bit strange bed fellows with how the team plays.imo.

Thought a number of Lille players were at their best today.  That it happened collectively on an evening when it needed to is very welcoming.  Djalo and Sanches looked sharper than usual, or at least more effective.  Have come to expect good things from Soumare and Andre and for sure they delivered in spades.  And today Maignan is where he should be.  Keeping goal for a title challenger.

Solid tests coming up the next few weeks, especially against Lyon of course, so no time to let down their guard.  Dropping points with so few matches left could be very, very, costly.

Hopefully we're seeing the new Lille from here on.