Jonathan David

Vince193

10 hours ago, LeoH037 said:

Lol... pretty sure FIFA is the one giving them the green light to do so... and arguably if a player must travel father for a game then the higher the risk that player catches something so yeah

I'd love to know how this makes any sense. The virus knows the distance players have travelled? So by this logic any games in Europe shouldn't allow club players to be called from outside Europe? 

58 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I don't know if anyone else watched the David part of the match. 

Lille did press the 2nd half and as it advanced, took it to PSG, who tired. Pochettino did good changes to keep them in it, but still. David had a hard left footer from the top of the box stopped by Navas, Bamba had a close one, then there was a penalty--which Yacizi missed, or Keylor stopped. In the end Keylor was probably their MOTM. If that had gone in, the way Lille was pressing, there would have been a real opportunity to tie it late and go into extra time. 

I don't think PSG was as dominant as it looked, and it was encouraging to see a Lille pushing and attacking effectively and with certain coordination. I don't think they are going to feel their chances vs PSG in the league in a few weeks are any worse because of last night.

That is good to hear.  The scoreline made it seem like it may have been a bit of a deflating game but from the sounds of things it may have just pissed Lille off - which is probably not a bad kind of motivation when you need to ensure a high energy pressing strategy against a fairly technical team.  

2 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

I'd love to know how this makes any sense. The virus knows the distance players have travelled? So by this logic any games in Europe shouldn't allow club players to be called from outside Europe? 

Doesn't seem that crazy? Longer distances = more actual time spent in close proximity to other and likelihood of layovers (exposure). The only way distance wouldn't be some factor is if David entered some pod that blasted him from France directly into camp. 

Just now, grigorio said:

Doesn't seem that crazy? Longer distances = more actual time spent in close proximity to other and likelihood of layovers (exposure). The only way distance wouldn't be some factor is if David entered some pod that blasted him from France directly into camp. 

We don’t have the budget for that.  

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I don't know if anyone else watched the David part of the match. 

Lille did press the 2nd half and as it advanced, took it to PSG, who tired. Pochettino did good changes to keep them in it, but still. David had a hard left footer from the top of the box stopped by Navas, Bamba had a close one, then there was a penalty--which Yacizi missed, or Keylor stopped. In the end Keylor was probably their MOTM. If that had gone in, the way Lille was pressing, there would have been a real opportunity to tie it late and go into extra time. 

I don't think PSG was as dominant as it looked, and it was encouraging to see a Lille pushing and attacking effectively and with certain coordination. I don't think they are going to feel their chances vs PSG in the league in a few weeks are any worse because of last night.

Highlights are (sort of) here with Kaylyn Kyle doing the colour analysis (not particularly well IMO) - for some reason they did not show Lille's best chance to score, a Yilmaz strike from the top of the box that hit the underside of the crossbar and barely stayed out. First goal they gave up is a howler (which is not due to Di Maria having "completely destroyed" Sven Botman as Kyle says but a mix up between Maignon and Dijallo, who I think distracted his normally solid keeper on the play). It's an uncharacteristic error from Maignon so Lille will feel that they were behind the 8-bal in atypical circumstances to start the match. PSG didn't start Mbappe or Verratti however and Neymar hasn't played in a couple of months, while Lille rested not just David but Fonte, Andre, Bamba & Ikone (and arguably Renato Sanchez if one considers him someone who should normally be starting). They also went with Bradaric instead of Reinildo. So all in all not sure what to make of that - once Mbappe was on the field it did feel to me like PSG were just a class above mind you.

I do wonder who makes the call for Lille's PKs - is it Galtier? Captain on the field? Yazici's PK attempt is terrible (and that's something I do think Kyle described well) and he hasn't scored other than the PK against Ajax (which he also didn't earn) in quite some time. David was the more in-form striker but despite winning a bunch of PK's, hasn't taken one since he missed his first attempt several months ago now. After seeing that one, the next time David wins the PK (and he seems to do that more often than any of his teammates) it might be time to let him have another go.

Edited by Gian-Luca

18 minutes ago, grigorio said:

We're all in close proximity to strangers every day of our lives. This argument hinges on the notion that an airport is more dangerous than any other places said person would otherwise be - an airport or airplane is arguably safer than day-to-day life (i.e. restaurants and grocery stores don't require testing). This is reasoning is not proportional to the risk. The risk of being next to a carrier is miniscule and the same on an EU flight or intercontinental flight. 

4 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Ayo hasn’t even practiced in months, I think not since December. Even if he was to switch suddenly now he would not be ready. The news about France’s arbitrary ruling places more importance on ensuring Cavallini and Larin are there

I think Cav is a given but do we know for sure that Larin is coming?  And even if he does, that is only two out and out strikers. 

10 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I think Cav is a given but do we know for sure that Larin is coming?  And even if he does, that is only two out and out strikers. 

No idea about Larin or any of the other Euro-based players. If Ligue 1 & 2 can pull an arbitrary stunt like this with FIFA's blessing, no reason why any other specific Euro-based club can't do the same. They've opened the floodgates for it by permitting this. And if we aren't able to get any of Davies, Larin, Eustaquio etc in addition to David, it will mean that we threw away our home field advantage to field a 2nd string squad, which gets back to the integrity of the competition. But I guess we'll see what will happen

Lille is 3 points up on both Lyon and PSG with 9 games remaining. Lille still plays both teams. Lyon plays PSG after Lilles games today.

Wondering what the best result for Lille would be? A Lille win and PSG/Lyon draw leaves them 5 points clear of both teams. However, a win would leave Lille 6 points up on 3rd place and the guaranteed Champions league place next season.

20 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

Lille is 3 points up on both Lyon and PSG with 9 games remaining. Lille still plays both teams. Lyon plays PSG after Lilles games today.

Wondering what the best result for Lille would be? A Lille win and PSG/Lyon draw leaves them 5 points clear of both teams. However, a win would leave Lille 6 points up on 3rd place and the guaranteed Champions league place next season.

My initial thinking was that I would rather have both of them drop points with a draw.  Maximizes the chances of winning the league  and gives you a really good chance of retaining at least a CL spot. 

We have Lyon on goal differential right now so a win by PSG might actually be better in terms of making sure we get a CL spot, but if we ever ended up losing to both of them (not impossible by any stretch), then our resulting goal differential probably drops us into 3rd anyway.  

Then again, I think we have a better chance of outplaying Lyon than PSG over the remainder of the season, so seeing them grab 3 points might not be as bad as if PSG manage it.

It turns out it is a really complicated question.   Maybe a PSG win by a wide enough margin to pad our GD?  

(But then they get even more confidence before the play us... gah) 

The only thing I am sure of is we better grab 3 points from 19th place Nimes today if we want to stay in the hunt.   And padding our goal differential wouldn’t be a bad thing either.   

17 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

This means Lille is probably going to play some more attractive football rather than just Ikone and Bamba trying to go 1v4 all game with David getting scraps.

I’m excited. 

We’ll see. Before Yilmaz was injured every pass went to him, while David’s runs were ignored

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

My initial thinking was that I would rather have both of them drop points with a draw.  Maximizes the chances of winning the league  and gives you a really good chance of retaining at least a CL spot. 

We have Lyon on goal differential right now so a win by PSG might actually be better in terms of making sure we get a CL spot, but if we ever ended up losing to both of them (not impossible by any stretch), then our resulting goal differential probably drops us into 3rd anyway.  

Then again, I think we have a better chance of outplaying Lyon than PSG over the remainder of the season, so seeing them grab 3 points might not be as bad as if PSG manage it.

It turns out it is a really complicated question.   Maybe a PSG win by a wide enough margin to pad our GD?  

(But then they get even more confidence before the play us... gah) 

The only thing I am sure of is we better grab 3 points from 19th place Nimes today if we want to stay in the hunt.   And padding our goal differential wouldn’t be a bad thing either.   

I think for a club like Lille to be this close to winning the league, and out of both Cup and Europe, you have to go for the league. Champions qualification would be acceptable, but a disappointment if it were all the spoils they could garner from this season. Win the league, it would be momentous to take a league off of PSG.

Hope Burak being back in the squad doesn't stunt David's progress. They haven't had much success together in the past.

Burak is the type of player that is constantly yelling and screaming for the ball. Demanding it even if he isn't in the best place which isn't ideal (lots of balls forced to him by teammates). The man does indeed finish his chances but not the most enjoyable guy to watch. 

Already 30 mins into watching this guy vs Nimes, having flashbacks from the start of the season.