Jonathan David

Vince193

15 minutes ago, El Diego said:

https://www.allezlelosc.fr/forum/viewforum.php?f=1

It's interesting to get their takes. I gather that Araujo was poor when he first came, but he won the fans around. Bamba took a year as well. They love Benjamin Andre and Burak Yilmaz.

Haha, I just made a post in the David thread there hijacking someone's post here about the "good canadian boy" meme. Some of the fans in that thread are insufferable, hopefully they start to see the light with David now.

Edited by frmr

3 minutes ago, frmr said:

Haha, I just made a post in the David thread there hijacking someone's post here about the "good canadian boy" meme. Some of the fans in that thread are insufferable, hopefully they start to see the light with David now.

Looks like they are all angry at Ikoné today for being on his phone will the coach was speaking to the team. :D 

8 minutes ago, frmr said:

Some of them are brutal, for sure. Calling David fat, lazy, and useless early in the season. Most are disappointed, which is understandable, but of course happy with his turn of form recently. There were a couple posters defending David the whole time, specifically recognizing his clever movement.

I wonder if the Lille fans know that there a group of Canadian fans who have OneSoccer and watch practically every Lille match? I was actually thinking of posting there myself with the help of Google translate.

1 hour ago, One American said:

His pass on the Weah goal was a thing of beauty. He scored, too, I take it? Awesome! 

After a slow start, David's season seems to be moving upward from disaster to disappointment with promise for next year. It might even end up at OK. Glad to see it. 

Are you? Just kidding. Thanks for stopping by :)

By the way, Weah I thought had a strong performance. If he can get more minutes and continue playing well it'll bode well for you guys. At that point I think he takes the inside track ahead of Morris for a spot at wide forward, unless Jordan lights up the Championship. At minimum I think he'll end up being a solid contributor for Swansea when we look back.

Anyways, Weah and David may just win the league. Would be good for both countries to have Champions in the big 5 leagues this season.

Edited by Obinna

Late to the show but blame OneSoccer, took them a bit to make the replay available.  As always a few thoughts.

Fair result but Bordeaux have to feel a little hard done by.  They were a game opponent and had their chances.  Maignon gets his 1st round for free tonight. 

All good goals out there today but that 2nd by Weah was a hell of a thing.  A 100 yard counter with David threading a one-time 30 yard left footed pass on a full gallop?  And Araujo holding the 'keeper's eye before he laid off Weah.  Looks easy but just watch it, he played the part all silky, very nice.  50-50?  No way.  The keeper was NEVER going to guess right on that one. 

Text book David on his break, as cool as you like.  Look.  Access.  Score. 

Better watch than I've become accustomed to.  Pleanty of matches coming fast but Lille going into a soft part of the schedule just before the Ajax fixture.  Do you roll or try to save for Europa?  Proably some of both I'd guess.  

Edited by Cheeta

5 hours ago, One American said:

David's season seems to be moving upward from disaster to disappointment with promise for next year. It might even end up at OK. Glad to see it. 

If you're salty about Weah not getting enough minutes, you're free to DM Galtier or Weah's agent to find him a club that will give him more minutes.

It's a tired trend seeing Yanks taking their Weah frustration on David (who participated on most of his goals) and CanMNT fans.

Save some for Bamba and Ikone who utterly ignored him when he's in the right spot 🙄

21 minutes ago, Ansem said:

If you're salty about Weah not getting enough minutes, you're free to DM Galtier or Weah's agent to find him a club that will give him more minutes.

It's a tired trend seeing Yanks taking their Weah frustration on David (who participated on most of his goals) and CanMNT fans.

Save some for Bamba and Ikone who utterly ignored him when he's in the right spot 🙄

err.. he's not wrong, David wasn't exactly living to his hype and record fee... 

7 hours ago, LeoH037 said:

err.. he's not wrong, David wasn't exactly living to his hype and record fee... 

I think the issue is mostly that David and Weah, until yesterday, were not playing the same position.  Therefore, saying one was keeping out the other didn't make sense.  Weah has been playing out wide most of the season and I think he's good there.  Lille would be fine if he took that spot from Ikone on more of a full time basis.

Complaining that David was keeping Yazici on the bench for the first half of the season would be more on accurate.

13 hours ago, One American said:

His pass on the Weah goal was a thing of beauty. He scored, too, I take it? Awesome! 

After a slow start, David's season seems to be moving upward from disaster to disappointment with promise for next year. It might even end up at OK. Glad to see it. 

Yes, so disappointing of him to win player of the month on his table topping team. 

9 hours ago, Ansem said:

Did I say something about Weah's minutes? Did I say anything about Weah? 

Edited by One American

I think our opinions on David's season are a good study on biases and expectations. David quickly became one of my favourite players -- Canadian or otherwise. The way he played at Gent was so fun to watch. His movement, deep runs, and cool finishing are very pleasing on the eye. To see a cerebral 20 year old who doesn't just rely on pace (though he has it) is refreshing.

So when he went to Lille, I had very high expectations. When he wasn't scoring, many people here defended him. I often felt like I was playing devil's advocate and disagreeing with the general public. To be honest, I did feel like I had to put my bias aside to try and objectively evaluate David's play. But now I wonder if I am being, or was, overly critical. I agree with everyone here on a few general points: 1. David's play was not as poor as his goal return; 2. His movement and pressing were helping his team; and 3. Lille have been lucky with their results. But I did think there were a large stretch of matches where he was poor, and specifically his first touch and combination play were lacking (his goal against Bordeaux showed what I want to see more of, though of course his teammates need to improve in that too).

What I am trying to say is, Lille fans have biases and Canadian fans have biases, some of it tied to expectation. Lille fans expected their record signing forward to bang in the goals, and when he wasn't they saw all the flaws in his game. Canadian fans saw all the positives in his game based on their previous viewings, and knew he wasn't a bad finisher because his performances for Gent and the NT showed that's not the case. And then of course I have my own biases: I expected a lot from this player I watched many times at Gent before much of the general public saw him, a guy I felt a sort of connection to even though I have no actual connection to him, and a guy whose style of play I really admire. When he didn't meet those expectations I was disappointed, and when everyone said that David was fine I felt a reflexive need to question that which may just be a personality trait of mine.

What's the point of all this rambling? I don't really know, I just think it's interesting to think about. Regarding the expectations thing, I also think it colours my view of other players. Liam Millar, for example. I think it is clear that his level is above that of Charlton, so I expect him to produce. But Scott Kennedy, I have no idea what to expect, so really any minutes he even gets for Jahn I think is fantastic. Really though, I don't know what the true level of either guy is and whether I should be more impressed by one over the other.

3 hours ago, One American said:

Did I say something about Weah's minutes? Did I say anything about Weah? 

I think the problem is we have all seen other Americans on Twitter and Instagram knock David while saying Weah is better. I don’t get the obsession. Thanks for not doing that haha. 

2 hours ago, El Diego said:

I think our opinions on David's season are a good study on biases and expectations. David quickly became one of my favourite players -- Canadian or otherwise. The way he played at Gent was so fun to watch. His movement, deep runs, and cool finishing are very pleasing on the eye. To see a cerebral 20 year old who doesn't just rely on pace (though he has it) is refreshing.

So when he went to Lille, I had very high expectations. When he wasn't scoring, many people here defended him. I often felt like I was playing devil's advocate and disagreeing with the general public. To be honest, I did feel like I had to put my bias aside to try and objectively evaluate David's play. But now I wonder if I am being, or was, overly critical. I agree with everyone here on a few general points: 1. David's play was not as poor as his goal return; 2. His movement and pressing were helping his team; and 3. Lille have been lucky with their results. But I did think there were a large stretch of matches where he was poor, and specifically his first touch and combination play were lacking (his goal against Bordeaux showed what I want to see more of, though of course his teammates need to improve in that too).

What I am trying to say is, Lille fans have biases and Canadian fans have biases, some of it tied to expectation. Lille fans expected their record signing forward to bang in the goals, and when he wasn't they saw all the flaws in his game. Canadian fans saw all the positives in his game based on their previous viewings, and knew he wasn't a bad finisher because his performances for Gent and the NT showed that's not the case. And then of course I have my own biases: I expected a lot from this player I watched many times at Gent before much of the general public saw him, a guy I felt a sort of connection to even though I have no actual connection to him, and a guy whose style of play I really admire. When he didn't meet those expectations I was disappointed, and when everyone said that David was fine I felt a reflexive need to question that which may just be a personality trait of mine.

What's the point of all this rambling? I don't really know, I just think it's interesting to think about. Regarding the expectations thing, I also think it colours my view of other players. Liam Millar, for example. I think it is clear that his level is above that of Charlton, so I expect him to produce. But Scott Kennedy, I have no idea what to expect, so really any minutes he even gets for Jahn I think is fantastic. Really though, I don't know what the true level of either guy is and whether I should be more impressed by one over the other.

Agreed.

I've gotten into arguments on r/soccer regarding David with people who only have seen him play at Lille, and you can imagine how those arguments go. On one hand I probably am being too biased towards what he has done with Canada and Gent, and the other person is too biased towards his first six months at Lille being a true reflection of his abilities, which to be fair, if that's all you'd seen, the price tag would definitely not make sense.

As always in life, the truth lies somewhere in the middle. He isn't as bad as those who wrote him off think he is, but at the same time, Canadians now understand that he isn't Erling Haaland and his path to the top won't be meteoric. I think this period will do him well in the end, and now that he's looking like he's started to find his feet, this will be invaluable to his character and mental game, knowing that he is able to dig and claw himself out of a rough period. I still think he can be one of the best in the game but he is going to have to work his ass off for it and stay laser focused on achieving it.

I don't get the hot takes from people against what One American said. He is right that early on in the season it was a disaster for David. And he has improved recently. His recent play hasn't been disappointing, but it has raised his overall performance/output from disaster to disappointing, plus everyone seems to want to ignore he actually said "disappointing with promise for next year."

He must be feeling good now that he's started scoring and Lille are challenging for the title. What an exciting time it must be for him and I think the fact that they're leading the league will help his game. He seems like a player that can rise to the occasion (first six months of his Lille career notwithstanding) and I'm sure the thought of winning the French league so early in his career is very motivating for him. Imagine if he keeps scoring regularly for the rest of the season and Lille wins the title. What an incredible turnaround it would be for him.

20 minutes ago, narduch said:

PSG does have the tougher match tomorrow, taking on Marseille.

Marseille is a mess right now. Coach resigned this week after the team signed a player he didn’t want. Another player was supposed to be transferred out and was denied at the last minute.  Hopefully they can get it together tomorrow and take some points from PSG.

5 minutes ago, Strait Red said:

Marseille is a mess right now. Coach resigned this week after the team signed a player he didn’t want. Another player was supposed to be transferred out and was denied at the last minute.  Hopefully they can get it together tomorrow and take some points from PSG.

Is Oliver Ntcham that bad?