Jonathan David

Vince193

Lille have 16 games left in the league with lots of pressure up top.  Away to mid-table Bordeaux seems like one of those possible stumbling blocks that they just need to get past to stay in the hunt.  

As much as I understand the frustration with the brand of footy they tend to play, I have to admit that I am enjoying cheering for a team that I have really good access to via OneSoccer.  Following the French league has been fun so far despite the Bamba/Ikone factor.  Hopefully David can continue on his positive trajectory and Lille can continue to get the necessary results.  

We have been frustrated that David hasn’t scored more to justify his price tag, but I noticed Yazici cost Lille €17.5M in 2019 and in his debut season he scored 1 goal in 18 games. David has 4 goals in 22 games to date.

I know David cost almost double, but he also joined at a younger age (Yazici was already 22) so all things considered things aren’t going too badly, especially lately. 

Anyhow, looking forward to the match today. Hopefully he gets the start.

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

We have been frustrated that David hasn’t scored more to justify his price tag, but I noticed Yazici cost Lille €17.5M in 2019 and in his debut season he scored 1 goal in 18 games. David has 4 goals in 22 games to date.

I know David cost almost double, but he also joined at a younger age (Yazici was already 22) so all things considered things aren’t going too badly, especially lately. 

Anyhow, looking forward to the match today. Hopefully he gets the start.

Yazici had a pretty serious knee injury in his first Lille season, did he not? Still, doesn't look like he was producing before his injury. Yazici has run really hot and cold this season, but when he's on he is really fun to watch.

A club like Lille can't afford to make big mistakes in the transfer market. If a signing like Yazici or David doesn't hit the ground running they really have no choice but to hold (to borrow some topical language).

42 minutes ago, narduch said:

David on the bench.

I knew Weah would put pressure on David.  He has a lot of energy and is always giving 100% on the field.  Easier to do when you come off the bench with only 1/3 of the game left but he was clearly giving Galtier something to think about.  

Hopefully David gets on with some decent minutes left and can make an impact.  

7 minutes ago, gator said:

This is one of those cases where I was looking forward to watching the match then found out David won't be starting and I really have no interest in watching it now, maybe if David subs in, it clearly answers the question @Obinna asked on Sunday!

I have it on in the background but am not watching intently.  I assume he will get on the pitch at some point so will pay more attention at that point. 

6 minutes ago, gator said:

This is one of those cases where I was looking forward to watching the match then found out David won't be starting and I really have no interest in watching it now, maybe if David subs in, it clearly answers the question @Obinna asked on Sunday!

Same here, watching Lille play is like torture and like Peter Galindo said in his analysis about David

https://petergalindo.wordpress.com/2021/02/02/canadians-abroad-mailbag-standouts-from-mens-camp-new-faces-for-women-and-more/

Back in October, I explained why the then-20-year-old wasn’t storming through Ligue 1. One reason behind this was the likes of Jonathan Bamba, Yusuf Yazici and others just ignoring David. Even though he’s deployed as a traditional No. 9 and isn’t as involved on the ball, the young Canadian was still executing intelligent runs in and around the box.

Unfortunately for him, his teammates were channelling their inner James Harden.🤣

51 minutes ago, narduch said:

They literally just named him player of the month for January 

And I was literally agreeing with you that him being on the bench was simply due to rotation. In any case, winning player of the month doesn't mean you played well in every single match that month. Heck, everyone's second favourite whipping boy even won player of the month for Lille once this season 🙃.

Bordeaux like to play out the back. David's ninja pressing style could be very dangerous. Wouldn't be surprised to see him sooner rather than later.