Jonathan David

Vince193

Just now, dyslexic nam said:

David needs to do one of the following:

1 - get taller

2 - get stronger

3 - get faster

I doubt he is doing the first so I think he needs to focus on 2 and/or 3.  Yes he made some decent runs today but he is very regularly out muscled or out hustled.  

I honestly think he's being played out of position. His strengths aren't being used at all. But yes, he loses out far too often.

Watching this crap football for 82 minutes and comparing to what I watched earlier in the day with Leicester/Leeds, makes me ponder "What if...?" when thinking back to the "David to Leeds" rumours preceding his move to Lille.

I've seen enough to know that the rest of the year we'll be filling this thread with the same " he made some good runs" while cursing the laundry list of ball hogs and glory shooters, with the occasional goal celebration thrown in.   This is just not the team for him.

The only hope I see is if Lille is really in the financial trouble as reported and want to salvage back some of their investment until David's stock falls further.  Smart teams will see that he is a supreme talent, but it's a tricky deal to be made for a $30M flop.

2 minutes ago, TOcanadafan said:

Watching this crap football for 82 minutes and comparing to what I watched earlier in the day with Leicester/Leeds, makes me ponder "What if...?" when thinking back to the "David to Leeds" rumours preceding his move to Lille.

I've seen enough to know that the rest of the year we'll be filling this thread with the same " he made some good runs" while cursing the laundry list of ball hogs and glory shooters, with the occasional goal celebration thrown in.   This is just not the team for him.

The only hope I see is if Lille is really in the financial trouble as reported and want to salvage back some of their investment until David's stock falls further.  Smart teams will see that he is a supreme talent, but it's a tricky deal to be made for a $30M flop.

My other hope is they win the league and use the Champions League money to buy a real playmaker AM to feed him. And also upgrade on Bamba and Ikone.

2 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Perhaps my perception has changed since David has scored a few, but Lille seemed less insufferable today. They are what they are, and maybe it's just easier to accept now that David has ended his funk.

I would have liked a goal, but they won and are now top of the table, and he played 80 minutes. Good day in my books.

I would agree if the game had ended at 45 minutes.  They had some nice build up and attacking play. 

The second was quite different though and they looked pretty uninventive. 

I have been real impressed with Lille's #5 Botman, someone mentioned there was interest in big clubs for him and I can see why although for most of the matches I have seen Lille hasn't been under very much pressure! Back to David, I am happy he is getting first team minutes at a club top of the table, I think most of us fancy ourselves as critiques, I praise him when he does things well and note when he is off, I won't change my mind at being frustrated at the way the team plays regardless of where they are in the standings!

1 minute ago, Obinna said:

Hypothetical question to everyone:

If you had to pick between David scoring 4-7 league goals and Lille winning the league, or David scoring +12 league goals with Lille having a typical season i.e. not winning the league, which would you choose?

The latter, I don't really care about Lille other than they bought David!

8 minutes ago, Obinna said:

If you had to pick between David scoring 4-7 league goals and Lille winning the league, or David scoring +12 league goals with Lille having a typical season i.e. not winning the league, which would you choose?

The latter - but would also depend if a typical season involved European footy.  

38 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Latter. Liverpool were interested last year and I would kill to have David with Liverpool. He needs to continue his upward trajectory. I don't really care about Lille though I have warmed to them watching them this season.

47 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I believe 3 out of his 4 are game winners so if Lille wins their 2nd league title in 67 years off the back of lets say 4-5 David game winners and 6-7 league goals I take that for sure, especially considering how this season has gone so far.

Edit: it's 2 game winners but the point still stands

Edited by sebdeserio

1 hour ago, sebdeserio said:

I believe 3 out of his 4 are game winners so if Lille wins their 2nd league title in 67 years off the back of lets say 4-5 David game winners and 6-7 league goals I take that for sure, especially considering how this season has gone so far.

Edit: it's 2 game winners but the point still stands

His goal against Monaco wasn't a game winner but it was still decisive. The only "meaningless" goal he's had was first one against Lorient.

3 hours ago, gator said:

I have been real impressed with Lille's #5 Botman, someone mentioned there was interest in big clubs for him and I can see why although for most of the matches I have seen Lille hasn't been under very much pressure! Back to David, I am happy he is getting first team minutes at a club top of the table, I think most of us fancy ourselves as critiques, I praise him when he does things well and note when he is off, I won't change my mind at being frustrated at the way the team plays regardless of where they are in the standings!

I don't think its hurt him playing with Fonte who shows his age sometimes but has otherwise done surprising well in my mind.  Add Yilmaz and you have all the proof you need Galtier can get the best from his 30 somethings. 

I feel like Bamba's form has fallen sinced Christmas, and his opposite Ikone, has actually shown improvement.   But it's Soumare who I find myself spying on a little more each match.  It sounds like he'll lose his place with Sanches returning which may be hard luck for Soumare but good news for David.  Have it in my head Sanches is a bit selfish but also has good  vision.  Better than some of Lille's midfielders at least but I could be mixing him up with someone else.  

3 hours ago, Obinna said:

The latter.  Easily.  If he's netting a dozen plus it's because "it's working", not because he's poaching or lucky.  Would have to look a very different Lille than we've seen up to now for that to happen.  

I'm not going to write that David's time at Lille so far has been a complete waste of time but I'm not sure the experience is helping his development or career.  

If this edition of Lille wins the league that says more about the other teams in Ligue 1 (looking at you PSG, Lyon) than it does about Lille's merits. 

On 1/27/2021 at 10:08 AM, The Real Marc said:

I don't think VAR is as awful as some make it out to be, but generally yes I agree. Just like managers and players are fallible, so are referees. I wish we could just accept that.

Still like MLS version of clear and obvious. Amd forget getting the laser pointy line out for all to see!

as long as David is playing winning the league is where you want to be as a player  I’m for that   

Hard to say. Winning the French league is a pretty big deal for a Canadian player. Almost on par with Canadian winning the German league. And despite not scoring as much as we would like, David is still a regular starter and contributing to the team. 

It would be pretty good for him to get a full preseason next year as reigning League 1 Champs and play in the Champions League group stage, and see where his career goes from there.

11 hours ago, Cheeta said:

I don't think its hurt him playing with Fonte who shows his age sometimes but has otherwise done surprising well in my mind.  Add Yilmaz and you have all the proof you need Galtier can get the best from his 30 somethings. 

I feel like Bamba's form has fallen sinced Christmas, and his opposite Ikone, has actually shown improvement.   But it's Soumare who I find myself spying on a little more each match.  It sounds like he'll lose his place with Sanches returning which may be hard luck for Soumare but good news for David.  Have it in my head Sanches is a bit selfish but also has good  vision.  Better than some of Lille's midfielders at least but I could be mixing him up with someone else.  

There was a 10-15 minute sequence in the 2nd half when three times Bamba lost the ball dumbly in attack and it led to an immediate counter by Dijon, three counters. When you are up 1-0 and fighting for the league lead. He doesn't even make his controls right, instead of receiving the ball into a place away from the defender his first touch goes to the defender quite often.

On a normal team a guy like that gets benched. Risking in attack is fine, but if you can't read the game, get off the pitch. 

If Dijon had signed Larin that game would have ended in a draw, just saying.

7 hours ago, Atlantic said:

Something to keep an eye on for those who have DAZN Canada 

I have been trying to pull up the numbers again to analyze what the LFP board is dealing with. Not exact this, but approx.

Mediapro deal was for €814m a year. Mediapro paid their first installment of 170 odd million Euros, then defaulted on their next two until paying a compensation of €100 million in December.

So the shortfall on the projected deal would be approx. 545€ million euros.

To make the  season still work financially the French League is looking for €300m, which would be for half a season (and maybe Cup, which starts late in France, though not sure about this).  Meaning they are willing to take a hit of close to 250 million, to save the season. Accepting the equivalent of losing 30% of their projected tv rights revenue. And it looks like the bidders are under that. 

The other detail is that they are asking for €300 for half a season, meaning their projection for a full year, for next season, would arguably be twice that, 600 million. Or still less than 75% of the Mediapro deal.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist