Jonathan David

Vince193

2 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

Not worried, he’s not close to David in terms of talent.

but as an American who’s been there longer I’d say he has the respect of his teammates.

sadly there’s a lot of ridiculous things that happen in a locker room and huge egos in sports, football is no exception.

“Not close” is a bit of hyperbole IMO.

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I think I am not going to bother watching this football anymore, it is not worth it. 

I did not watch Kusch in 2nd division Sweden, even when he was scoring , and here I am, I'm fine.

I don’t disagree - I’m hoping this financial crisis might result in David being sold to a team that plays more watchable football in a better league.

remember last year how some thought he might end up at Leeds?

Lille are a very strange team. They play with such a lack of cohesiveness, yet oddly get results. You have to wonder when their luck is going to run out playing that way. A previous poster mentioned the locker room and egos. I think this is very much the case with this squad. The only thing Lille has less of than cohesiveness, is comradery and leadership. As far as David specifically is concerned, and this is purely speculation and personal observation on my part, but for whatever reason it visually appears that Ikone and Bamba seem to have a complete disregard for David; which only adds to David's struggles this season, when two of the team's top assets want nothing to do with you or would rather not involve you in the play. 

The only other team I've watched more than Lille in 2020 is Bayern. Every time Bayern hits the pitch, you can visibly tell they are playing for each other. And that shows in how they can read each other and feed off each other on offense, defence, and in transition. They also have a field general in Muller, who seems to ensure everyone is playing exactly the way their system requires and holds everyone accountable to the Bayern standard. You could make the case that this also is a major reason why Davies has thrived so quickly in that program. Which is the total opposite of Lille who always seem so disconnected, everything seems forced, and other than some brief flashes from a vet like Yilmaz, there seems to be little on-field leadership. And yes, I get Bayern is one of those teams where it's tough to compare with clubs outside of the top 5 or so teams in Europe, given their stature. But to me the two situations and experiences for both David and Davies seem so polar opposite. 

I actually hope this financial saga Lille find themselves in offers David a change of scenery. Either with Ikone and Bamba shipped out of Lille or David himself moved to another squad. 

Edited by Güerito

8 minutes ago, Güerito said:

The only other team I've watched more than Lille in 2020 is Bayern. Every time Bayern hits the pitch, you can visibly tell they are playing for each other. And that shows in how they can read each other and feed off each other on offense, defence, and in transition.

And that's a reason why Bayern are a top 5 club in the world, and Lille aren't.

Honestly, best case scenario for David would be for Lille to sell off Ikone and Bamba, who likely have suitors, in order to help settle their debt. Youngers guys with a lot of upswing like David and Weah, If I'm Lille I keep, because such players are investments, and you can double or triple their future transfer price if you develop them further.

IMO if Lille shipped off Ikone, Bamba, and Sanches (who will likely command the highest transfer of all of Lille's player), then the team will still remain relatively competitive, they might not be able to stay at the top of the table (would be awesome of the kids step up of course), but they'd still be a fairly competitive Ligue 1 team. Ikone and Bamba strike me as guys, who while extremely talented, have less than ideal attitudes and ultimately hold back the team's development. As for Sanches, he would be a loss, but he's missed a good chunk of games this season so far, so Lille could just get used to being without him. Ultimately I think Ligue 1 is a good level for David, and I'd rather see him remain playing there for the time being, specially if he gets the opportunity to gain more responsibility and become a true center piece for his team.

I find reading this thread very interesting as i don't watch Lille that often but from reading this, you would think they are in a relegation battle rather than leading the league.  That being said, I agree that from the matches I have watched, David is not used well and the other attackers are mostly selfish but overall, the side plays effective if boring football.  The frustrating part is that if they could fix what they do in the final third, they would be unstoppable.

29 minutes ago, An Observer said:

I find reading this thread very interesting as i don't watch Lille that often but from reading this, you would think they are in a relegation battle rather than leading the league.  That being said, I agree that from the matches I have watched, David is not used well and the other attackers are mostly selfish but overall, the side plays effective if boring football.  The frustrating part is that if they could fix what they do in the final third, they would be unstoppable.

I agree! This thread is some serious twilight zone sh×t! David is the key player on a team at the top of ligue 1. He is doing fine, his team is doing fine. 

3 hours ago, An Observer said:

Lille has a lot of attacking options, pace, some strong backs to hold the team together. Solid keeping. But you feel they waste more than they should, they waste so much, so a victory over the bottom dweller is squeeked out. It is hard to say if Bamba and Ikone are really the problems, since their slash and burn style is working for the team.

9 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

His Lille career is likely over now that the team is being sold. He’ll have resale value, he’s young and I’m sure some teams will still be willing to pay up for him

I've been reading around, quite a few articles out there. Most say they are not going to sell right away, that the new ownership group will hold on and restructure the debt. Others that they should pick a few players to sell to help with the deficit. But with a deflated market they are not going to get any value in January, while if they wait until June, after a strong season and post-Covid, they might do better.

It seems Lille were really in financial problems well before now, last year, in the summer. They were even being investigated for breaking financial fair play. They sold well and then spent. If they had fans in the stadium and were paid in full by Mediapro they'd probably be alright. If they make Champions League next year that is more income. So their debt is attributable to recent problems, and certainly not a lot you could predict.

About two weeks ago the general manager Marc Ingla quit, and that should have been a sign of something. He apparently had differences of opinion with sporting director Campos, a business partner with López. But it is still odd to quit in a good job, early on in a good season. I know Ingla from the board at FCBarcelona, he was never considered to be amongst the least reliable or corrupt of the bunch that have run my club.

Honestly, I want to see him get mad on the field. 

There have been times where he has been completely open and Ikone or Bamba decide to dribble through 3 or 4 guys when a simple pass to an open David would do. After these plays, I always see David just get back into position or even dap them, probably saying "nice try".

Zlatan and Lewandowski would have stared down their teammates and demanded that ball be played to them next time. Even Calvert-Lewin, who is gaining confidence, does the same. Not saying he is on the level of the first two, but I can see the argument that he has the potential to be better than Calvert-Lewin. I've even seen Cavallini do the same with Canada.

If David gives them the "give me the d*mn ball next time, I was f*ckin open", they might be more inclined to pass. Once he starts consistently finishing, then Ligue 1 better watch out. This kid is good.

1 hour ago, superstarss said:

Honestly, I want to see him get mad on the field. 

There have been times where he has been completely open and Ikone or Bamba decide to dribble through 3 or 4 guys when a simple pass to an open David would do. After these plays, I always see David just get back into position or even dap them, probably saying "nice try".

Zlatan and Lewandowski would have stared down their teammates and demanded that ball be played to them next time. Even Calvert-Lewin, who is gaining confidence, does the same. Not saying he is on the level of the first two, but I can see the argument that he has the potential to be better than Calvert-Lewin. I've even seen Cavallini do the same with Canada.

If David gives them the "give me the d*mn ball next time, I was f*ckin open", they might be more inclined to pass. Once he starts consistently finishing, then Ligue 1 better watch out. This kid is good.

I would be fine with that approach if he was clinical.  But it isn’t the right approach for a new guy, younger than his teammates, who came in with high expectations and hasn’t really delivered in terms of the most obvious metric.  Zlatan and Lewandowski can adopt that stance because they have undeniable records established over the long haul.  But you gotta make a deposit before you can make a withdrawal.  And I suspect that Ikone and Bamba aren’t the kind of guys who would respond well to being berated.   

On 12/17/2020 at 9:20 AM, Güerito said:

Lille are a very strange team. They play with such a lack of cohesiveness, yet oddly get results. You have to wonder when their luck is going to run out playing that way. A previous poster mentioned the locker room and egos. I think this is very much the case with this squad. The only thing Lille has less of than cohesiveness, is comradery and leadership. As far as David specifically is concerned, and this is purely speculation and personal observation on my part, but for whatever reason it visually appears that Ikone and Bamba seem to have a complete disregard for David; which only adds to David's struggles this season, when two of the team's top assets want nothing to do with you or would rather not involve you in the play. 

The only other team I've watched more than Lille in 2020 is Bayern. Every time Bayern hits the pitch, you can visibly tell they are playing for each other. And that shows in how they can read each other and feed off each other on offense, defence, and in transition. They also have a field general in Muller, who seems to ensure everyone is playing exactly the way their system requires and holds everyone accountable to the Bayern standard. You could make the case that this also is a major reason why Davies has thrived so quickly in that program. Which is the total opposite of Lille who always seem so disconnected, everything seems forced, and other than some brief flashes from a vet like Yilmaz, there seems to be little on-field leadership. And yes, I get Bayern is one of those teams where it's tough to compare with clubs outside of the top 5 or so teams in Europe, given their stature. But to me the two situations and experiences for both David and Davies seem so polar opposite. 

I actually hope this financial saga Lille find themselves in offers David a change of scenery. Either with Ikone and Bamba shipped out of Lille or David himself moved to another squad. 

Very well said. I couldn’t agree more and have had many similar thoughts.

10 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

So Mundo Deportivo is reporting Renato Sanches is on Liverpool's agenda as they expect to not re-sign Wijnaldum, who'll be out of contract. For January. That'd be a chunk of debt out of the way, but it also takes a chunk of pause and brain out of their midfield. 

I'd say there's slightly higher than zero per cent chance that this happens in January. Liverpool's midfield options today include Henderson (club captain), Milner (vice-captain), Wijnaldum (alternate captain), Keita, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Jones, Thiago, Minamino, and Shaqiri. That doesn't even include Fabinho, who's likely to play CB through the end of the season.

Gini Wijnaldum, although out of contract in June, is in the form of his life. He's absolutely adored by the coaches, his teammates, and the supporters. Klopp's on record as wanting him to re-sign. The sticking point in negotiations hasn't been money, but contract term. The club wants 3 years, Gini's looking for 5. Ultimately, if he doesn't re-sign, it'll be because he fancies a different challenge in a different country. Liverpool will let him walk on a free in June before they consider letting him go in the middle of a season where they have an excellent chance to repeat as champions, and match Manchester Utd's 20 league titles. I'm pretty sure that Gini doesn't want to leave in January, either.

All that being said, I reckon it's 50-50 that Wijnaldum goes in June. If Lille are hard up for cash, I'd love for Liverpool to help 'em out by taking both Sanches AND David off their hands. Divock Origi will soon be on his way out of the club (leaving as a club legend, though) and David would look fabulous in Liverpool red, being groomed to take over from Firmino in the front 3.

Edited by SthMelbRed

56 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

I'd say there's slightly higher than zero per cent chance that this happens in January. Liverpool's midfield options today include Henderson (club captain), Milner (vice-captain), Wijnaldum (alternate captain), Keita, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Jones, Thiago, Minamino, and Shaqiri. That doesn't even include Fabinho, who's likely to play CB through the end of the season.

Gini Wijnaldum, although out of contract in June, is in the form of his life. He's absolutely adored by the coaches, his teammates, and the supporters. Klopp's on record as wanting him to re-sign. The sticking point in negotiations hasn't been money, but contract term. The club wants 3 years, Gini's looking for 5. Ultimately, if he doesn't re-sign, it'll be because he fancies a different challenge in a different country. Liverpool will let him walk on a free in January before they consider letting him go in the middle of a season where they have an excellent chance to repeat as champions, and match Manchester Utd's 20 league titles. I'm pretty sure that Gini doesn't want to leave in January, either.

All that being said, I reckon it's 50-50 that Wijnaldum goes in June. If Lille are hard up for cash, I'd love for Liverpool to help 'em out by taking both Sanches AND David off their hands. Divock Origi will soon be on his way out of the club (leaving as a club legend, though) and David would look fabulous in Liverpool red, being groomed to take over from Firmino in the front 3.

Great post. Well what I was reading was not that Wijnaldum would leave in January, but that Sanches might be bought, thinking about the instability of re-signing the former. And they do match in terms of position, deep-lying mid. 

I also saw those Origi rumours today, about Dortmund being interested for example. 

I've been confident about David scoring more all year, think for now they are right to hold on to him.