Jonathan David

Vince193

49 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Timothy Weah on now. This should be interesting. 

Edit: He (Weah) was gifted a break away and he missed the net.

Game over. Lille win 1-0. This team is frankly not very good in my opinion. They have no attacking thrust up the middle, so they require Bamba and Ikone to create from the outside. Ikone was invisible today, he did nothing. Bamba has his chance and he score, but outside of that he was not dangerous. Nobody on Lille was. Not too happy with how things are going so far. This was the 6th placed team from last year, and their opener was against the 3rd place team. Let's see how they look against a weaker side.

From what I've seen, nobody in Ligue 1 is. It feels like these are still pre-season games has there are a lot of sloppy touches and missed passes that you would not expect from a league of this calibre.

5 hours ago, Floortom said:

Disappointing start to season but it’s only two matches. Let’s give it some time.

side note: I really don’t like Ikone. I know there are some rumours of him moving to Chelsea or Dortmund. My judgement is purely based on these last two matches so I am obviously missing something.

He has a lot of talent, but he holds on to the ball WAY too long. He tries to do things on his own, instead of using teammates who are open. He is the worst kind of player to be playing alongside David. All of David's good runs off the ball go to waste. I do not see these two players working well together unless Ikone develops a football IQ. Lille would be wise to sell him on sooner than later. That would be good for David too.

For what it is worth Bamba is a slightly less talented and less annoying version of Ikone. Those two are two big reasons why Lille do not create chances as a team. 

Pepe is another player who is like Ikone/Bamba, perhaps more talented and less frustrating, but cut from the same cloth. Lille are a buy and sell club. Maybe these players come and go through the club often? Maybe this is why Lille have no attacking team cohesion? Does anyone follow Lille closely enough to confirm if this is a systemic issue that leaves Lille without a lasting cohesion in atttack?

Edited by Obinna

On 8/30/2020 at 3:10 PM, Obinna said:

He has a lot of talent, but he holds on to the ball WAY too long. He tries to do things on his own, instead of using teammates who are open. He is the worst kind of player to be playing alongside David. All of David's good runs off the ball go to waste. I do not see these two players working well together unless Ikone develops a football IQ. Lille would be wise to sell him on sooner than later. That would be good for David too.

For what it is worth Bamba is a slightly less talented and less annoying version of Ikone. Those two are two big reasons why Lille do not create chances as a team. 

Pepe is another player who is like Ikone/Bamba, perhaps more talented and less frustrating, but cut from the same cloth. Lille are a buy and sell club. Maybe these players come and go through the club often? Maybe this is why Lille have no attacking team cohesion? Does anyone follow Lille closely enough to confirm if this is a systemic issue that leaves Lille without a lasting cohesion in atttack?

They have recently turned into a buy high and sell even higher club not unlike what Monaco was a few seasons back.

The problem with Ligue 1 is that it is full of ball hogs like Bamba and Ikone. That along with the fact a lot of teams in Ligue 1 play with two holding midfielders leaves the center forwards out on their own pretty much.

Like you mentioned, Lille need a driving force through the middle to link up with David or David might have to drop back a little and become that figure himself.

It's a shame Pjanic went to Barca. He would have been perfect for Lille.

16 hours ago, Strait Red said:

He’s injured.

There's some hope then. Hopefully he's not out too long. 

• 2 weeks later...

My first time watching Lille today since David signed for them. I reckon their attack is shit and it's almost entirely down to Jonathan Bamba. He destroys any chance of a coherent attack based on team movements. I suspect that he's not happy that Lille have brought in David for big money and is going out of his way to ignore him during play.

3 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

My first time watching Lille today since David signed for them. I reckon their attack is **** and it's almost entirely down to Jonathan Bamba. He destroys any chance of a coherent attack based on team movements. I suspect that he's not happy that Lille have brought in David for big money and is going out of his way to ignore him during play.

Same could go for Jonathan Ikone. I actually find him worse. That play right before half where David was wide open and he chose the wrong option. I dunno, it probably isn’t envy or something like that, but the thought crossed my mind before. I am looking for reasons why these guys can’t get the ball to David more often.

Perhaps the comments from David about Lille not being his final destination didn’t sit well with some of his teammates. I mean, even if David feels that way it is probably best kept to himself. 

So far this seems like a bad move for David, Lille and Gent. His former club have been in brutal form without him, and it is quite clear that something doesn’t fit with David and how Lille play. He just looks isolated and their Turkish signing looks the same. It’s just a team with no attacking cohesion or even team cohesion I would argue.

The most disappointing is that coach had 2 weeks to work out the kinks and it still looked disjointed. They won in the end, which is the ultimate goal, but they don’t look good.

Not a high bar to surpass  and only a few matches in but it was the best David has looked so far as an individual and linking up with others on LOSC. He has got decent levels on rating sites. 

Having Yilmaz as a partner helped out and David had more touches outside of the box and had a couple of chances to run at the back line. But I didn't like that he passed up on a shot inside the box in the second half. 

It’s still early days, but just not liking the way this team plays . Moreover, it just seems the style this team is playing does not suit David so far. Hopefully things will change for the better. I watched Leeds play against Liverpool yesterday remembered the rumours about David going there, liked the way Leeds played and if that’s how  Leeds usually play I think David could have done well there , moreover, playing for such a great coach too at Leeds would have been good too. However, season is still very young I’m very hopeful David will do well where his is at now.

Edited by SoccMan

Was not my first choice and was not thrilled with how his camp handled the move but very, very early in the process and its not like they are really struggling as a team. 

A chance to learn how to be valuable when things are not tailor-made for you.  He needs to show he can do that and I think he can.  

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

Other than maybe a slight lack of confidence on his shooting, I thought this was his best match. He dragged back linking with the mid well, continuing the flow of the attack, his hold up play was good, and got in better scoring positions.

He's been steadily improving each game. I think once he gets that 1 goal, we'll start to see him at his best again imo.

Interesting tactical analysis of Lille https://totalfootballanalysis.com/article/lilles-flexible-3-1-6-system-tactical-analysis-tactics

Seems like Ikone and Bamba getting on the ball in the half space is by design. I will have to watch closely next match. 

I don’t like it though. I think David is best when he has freedom to find the spaces on the field. He is at his best when he gets a lot of touches. In this system he will do neither by the sounds of it. Hopefully he can adjust to the system, because I am not expecting the system will adjust for him. 

In an interview after his first match Galtier says David still needs to work on his understanding with the others and needs to get up to speed physically as well: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jNO8YH9wtDA (2:02)

I don’t like the idea of such regimented movements in the attacking third. That is where the artistry should be expressed, but that is just me. I think David’s creativity off the ball is his best quality, but he will need to adjust to this system and how Galtier wants his players to move.

Edited by Obinna