Jonathan David

Vince193

2 hours ago, Aird25 said:

Overall Lille netted $65 m in transfers last season too. How are they in such financial turmoil?

Last summer Lille was in the same debt as they are now. In 2018 they estimated it at 250 million euros, now it is estimated at 200 million, like last summer. Although they may have budgeted for tv rights last summer, you have to take into account that Mediapro fulfilled a fairly large percentage of their contract. 

The total rights for the French league were supposed to be just over 1.1 billion. Of that, Canal + had a contract for 330 million which they topped off after Mediapro pulled out for another 30 million. Mediapro's contract was something over 800 million, of which they paid just over 300 million. So the shortfall is half a billion. If you divide 500 million by 20 teams the average would be just 25 million per team. Even if Lille get far above that for their level in the league (though I'd imagine their tv audiences are below Marseille, Lyon, PSG of course, maybe even Monaco), I doubt it is significantly more. 

By this calculation, even if Lille had received their full Mediapro share, it would not have put that big a dent on the 200 million euro debt they went into the season with and still had at the New Year.

In 2018/19 - last season of financial reporting pre-pandemic - Lille posted a lost of $67M.  I was able to find this reference from Swiss Ramble re Lille - although it is on a Lyon thread:  

I have not dug deep enough as to why they are in such rough financial shape, but my recollection is that it is due a new stadium, poor investments (particularly in the short lived Bielsa era), and the Mediapro deal.  Their owner was bragging in the media last summer about their transfer strategy of selling young players for large sums, but apparently  he left earlier this year when he could not meet the club's repayment schedule to JP Morgan and others. 

All to say, they are a financially unstable club who rely on a strategy of selling players.  I am not sure where David is in terms of actual club valuation (and not just transfermarket value) vis a vis others in the squad, but if Lille can make money off him, I am not sure that he will have much choice as to where he is going. Having transferred in at $30M - and assuming he is sold for more - means there are likely only about 20 teams in the top five leagues that could afford him, and PL tends to have the most money for non-"designated" players.     

23 minutes ago, WheatsheafSK said:

I am not sure where David is in terms of actual club valuation (and not just transfermarket value) vis a vis others in the squad, but if Lille can make money off him, I am not sure that he will have much choice as to where he is going.

I am not an expert on transfer rules, but with lots of time left on his Lille contract though, it isn’t like they can just unilaterally sell him off to some country or team that he doesn’t want to go to.  All parties have to be agreeable to the deal, correct?  It isn’t like he is an indentured servant.  I know things can get messy if clubs and players dig in their heels (e.g. Larin) but I doubt David’s situation goes that direction.   

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

I am not an expert on transfer rules, but with lots of time left on his Lille contract though, it isn’t like they can just unilaterally sell him off to some country or team that he doesn’t want to go to.  All parties have to be agreeable to the deal, correct?  It isn’t like he is an indentured servant.  I know things can get messy if clubs and players dig in their heels (e.g. Larin) but I doubt David’s situation goes that direction.   

Correct. Trading players against their wishes is purely a North American thing. Lille could accept bids from a hundred different clubs. However, if JD doesn't fancy moving to any of those clubs, he'd simply stay put in Lille and keep collecting his contracted pay cheque. If Lille were desperate to sell him, they could apply other forms of pressure to persuade him to leave, like making him train with the reserves, youth teams, or on his own, or not including him on their squad lists for the main competitions. I highly doubt that situation would come to pass with a 21-year old star player, though.

6 minutes ago, VinceA said:

I'd love another season of him at Lille but yeah, I don't see how you reject big money for him. However his agent seems to want the best for him so we'll see who goes in for him in the summer.

He may struggle if he stays to play with a significantly weakened Lille, though.

He had to go it alone in year 2 with Gent, as Yaremchuk missed the second half of the season, which was actually when David played some of his best football, but he was also allowed to go find the game, which he won't be afforded under Galtier.  

He is only 21 years old and right now what is most important for him is TO PLAY. Period. As much as we would like to someday see him play for a big club, ultimately the fact is that as it stands he is playing at a VERY good level/league for a 21 year old and is an important part of his team. If he decides not to move yet we should not blame him, ultimately he and his agent are doing what is best for his career and long term future. He has just found his feet in France, IMO it would be ill advised to move so soon, I'd rather see him get a full season of him in full form and bag in 15-20 goals so that whichever team decides to later get him will have no choice but to consider him an automatic starter.  IMO he is also not quite ready for a step up. He wasn't quite ready for Ligue 1 yet Lille were super patient with him and it paid off, however I highly doubt he would be afforded the same courtesy in a top team of a top 4 league if he is not fully ready.

Edited by LeoH037

LOL.  Right on cue..

LOL.  It just looks better and better the more you see it.  Youch.   Almost feel sorry for all the nice things I've said about Bamba this season.

Edited by Cheeta