Should Christine Sinclair retire from the CWNT?

I agree with most of what you say, but on the other hand, Sinclair herself had a lot less in the way of development and opportunity than today's players.  If you could do it back then, you can do it today.  Of course it's really tough, but you would think that more of those hundreds of thousands (okay, not millions) would rise to the challenge.  We need more players like Kadeisha Buchanan, with her steely determination to succeed.  Because God knows the economic, climatic and geographic challenges of running a top-level league in Canada are not going to be solved anytime soon.

By the way, it's good to see you back here.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There is no fight here. If she can coach, and more to the point, wants to coach, fantastic.  However, you just can't snap your fingers and make it happen.  I think she will be involved in th

I think we are in a different era.  Coaching is way more professional now.  I appreciate the enthusiasm for Sinclair, I hope she wants to coach and can.  But she has to prove she can coach b

playing and coaching are two different worlds..success as player has nothing to do with coach

They've had a national ringette league since 2004 with less than 10% of the players. It's a well run sport and their cup is always half-full. A key observation is it's a women's sport and they are not in the shadow of men.

Outside the national team women have never been a full partner in soccer in Canada and have been held back by being junior partners. If they branched off in soccer 50 years ago into their own association, a women's league would have existed decades ago. With 100% certainty.

Like ringette it doesn't have to be swimming in cash, or even fully professional contract-wise. It's not even the league format that's the big thing, it's just having a cross-country network of publicly-run great programs. We have completely and utterly failed to activate the entire private sector across the country with our closed-circle my-way-or-the-highway national programs like we're China. It hit it's peak scalability-wise decades ago.

The future is really bleak right now when you look at how incredibly fast other countries are moving. We're pretty much standing still and doing what we've been doing for decades (and the results are unsurprising and expected). The only real question is how bad and how long are the negative results before we grow out of our lazy, old and tired half-empty cup.

On 6/23/2020 at 6:53 PM, SthMelbRed said:

So, we'd have had a professional, women's football league 50 years ago if the CSA hadn't been prioritising men? We've had a national men's league for just 7 of those 50 years.

I purposely strayed from the word professional because it makes people mental. Professionalism is as much an approach as a a financial framework. Women all over the world train in professional club environments five days a week for peanuts. Again if you build it they will come and that's been proven all over the world.

We'd have something by now if the women's side of the sport was run by people dedicated in thought and focus on the women's game.

I respect anyone's opinion to disagree, but when it comes to club infrastructure and activating the private sector in women's soccer in Canada, we have utterly and completely failed miserably. And who and why is wasted energy, the only question is how do we change it.

Desiree Scott gets paid either way.  Just like Megan Rapinoe or Tobin Heath, they can sit out and still get cash.  This is another reason I have so much respect for Christine Sinclair.  The WPSL may not survive Covid but some players care enough to play.  As always, fuck Megan Rapinoe, the selfish, classless *****.

I believe Scott was the first allocated player to opt out of the NWSL when she signed for Notts. I've always seen her as very classy and a great role model for CIS/Usport athletes. Hope she's back on the field soon.

• 1 month later...

September 2020 issue of World Soccer cover story  'The 500 most important players on the planet'   Publication originates from England.  

Christine Sinclair made the list (players listed alphabetically) .  I noticed only 8 females made the list and  3 Canadians.  (Jonathan David and Alphonso Davies were the others).   

mags comment with photo:  

Christine Sinclair   Portland Timbers & Canada  'With 186 goals in 296 games, the 37-year-old is the top-scoring and most-capped international footballer of all time - what else is there to say?'