Robert

Should Christine Sinclair retire from the CWNT?

^ Yes, Beckenbauer was successful but I think you can see that he is the exception. Most of the best managers were not renowned as players: Ferguson, Shankly, Clough, Morinho, Wenger, Ramsey, Revie, and who is that guy at Man City right now? ūüė䬆

I am not ruling out Sinclair but I doubt her seemingly introverted personality would make for a good manager. My guess is that there are probably much better choices.

I think we are in a different era. 

Coaching is way more professional now. 

I appreciate the enthusiasm for Sinclair, I hope she wants to coach and can.  But she has to prove she can coach before taking the reigns.

3 hours ago, admin said:

I think we are in a different era. 

Coaching is way more professional now. 

I appreciate the enthusiasm for Sinclair, I hope she wants to coach and can.  But she has to prove she can coach before taking the reigns.

Do Didier Deschamps (Valencia 2001 as a player - Monaco 2001 as a coach) and Zinedine Zidane (Real Madrid 2006 as a player - Real Madrid 2014 as a coach) qualify as being current, professional, and successful enough for you? Very special players have earned and deserve the right to be fast-tracked as coaches. For me, the real question that needs to be asked is: Does the CSA smart enough to recognize how blessed they are to have such a very special player?  Yes, IMHO Christine Sinclair is right up there with the Deschamps, Zidanes, and Beckenbauers of the world. All relatively calm, cool and collective individuals, very unlike the screaming, bold-predicting, and embarrassing likes of the Herdmans and Heiner-Mollers that we are currently stuck with.

National team player-managers don't exist for one reason: it's a national team, not a club. It's still a job that requires you to follow players around the world and make selections based on what you see. I don't think that Sinclair could do that if she still plays for Portland. There's a reason no one has done both jobs at the same time, because it's impossible to do. At a club, you can do that, because you still see the players daily and can still be focussed on your game and on the club's game, at the national team levels, you see the players for 2 months per year, so you need to talk to them during the season to know what's happening and evaluate your players. I just don't think that someone like Sinclair even if she surrounds herself with a ton of talent could win with those.

On 6/28/2019 at 11:10 AM, Patrick said:

Why on earth would we need a Canadian or a woman to coach?  If the best person for the job is Canadian, great!  If it's a woman, that's great, too!  But I think we need the best coach, period.  Our experiment with a female coach ended badly, and the Americans are not happy with Jill Ellis.  The English, however, are doing just fine under Phil Neville.

As for Sinclair coaching, sure, if she's actually a good coach.  We shouldn't just hand her the job because she was a good player.

I agree with your sentiment until the bolded part. We have had 4 men coaches and 2 women coaches. We shoudn't think of women coaches as experiments and men coaches as the real option (that's what is implied when hiring a woman coach is an experiment). Just because Carolina Morace didn't work out doesn't mean another woman coach can't do the job.

Again, I agree with your second paragraph. Coaches shouldn't be picked based on how well they can kick a ball. If she gets into coaching, great, she can try to work her way to the job.

3 hours ago, Kent said:

We shoudn't think of women coaches as experiments and men coaches as the real option (that's what is implied when hiring a woman coach is an experiment). Just because Carolina Morace didn't work out doesn't mean another woman coach can't do the job.

I didn't say women coaches were experiments, so please don't shove your words in my mouth.  What I said was Carolina Morace was an experiment.  As for the pre-Pellerud coaches, I don't count the part-timers.  That was an embarrassment that the CSA finally corrected.  The CSA may have said Morace was the best available coach, but what they meant was she was the best available female coach.  For some reason we keep circling back to some "need" to have a woman coach instead of the best coach.  When Herdman quit there was talk about aiming to have a woman in charge by 2021.  Why?  Why is it so important to have ovaries if you coach women?  

Morace was a disaster and her history before signing with Canada clearly showed she was tough to work with and self-centred.  She quit once, came back, and then **** the bed in Germany.  She quit in spirit before the last game was played and quit for real when her performance was being evaluated.   Thankfully we didn't demand Herdman cut his nuts off in order to coach Canada.

What I hope we don't do is what Germany did in hiring Martina Voss-Tecklenburg.  If you try to tell me she was the best coach available in Germany then I have some real-estate in Florida you should look at.  Her coaching resume is Ok, but hardly outstanding, and her main claim to fame is being an ex-player.   And is Jill Ellis really the best coach the US could find to lead the #1 team in the world?  Her decisions so far indicate she's not very good, it's just fortunate she has more talent available than any three other national teams combined.

Going forward, whatever happens with Heiner-Moller, I hope the next coach is the best we can attract and afford.  If it happens to be a woman, I will be more than happy to support her.  

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Patrick said:

I didn't say women coaches were experiments, so please don't shove your words in my mouth.  What I said was Carolina Morace was an experiment.  As for the pre-Pellerud coaches, I don't count the part-timers.  That was an embarrassment that the CSA finally corrected.  The CSA may have said Morace was the best available coach, but what they meant was she was the best available female coach.  For some reason we keep circling back to some "need" to have a woman coach instead of the best coach.  When Herdman quit there was talk about aiming to have a woman in charge by 2021.  Why?  Why is it so important to have ovaries if you coach women?  

Morace was a disaster and her history before signing with Canada clearly showed she was tough to work with and self-centred.  She quit once, came back, and then **** the bed in Germany.  She quit in spirit before the last game was played and quit for real when her performance was being evaluated.   Thankfully we didn't demand Herdman cut his nuts off in order to coach Canada.

What I hope we don't do is what Germany did in hiring Martina Voss-Tecklenburg.  If you try to tell me she was the best coach available in Germany then I have some real-estate in Florida you should look at.  Her coaching resume is Ok, but hardly outstanding, and her main claim to fame is being an ex-player.   And is Jill Ellis really the best coach the US could find to lead the #1 team in the world?  Her decisions so far indicate she's not very good, it's just fortunate she has more talent available than any three other national teams combined.

Going forward, whatever happens with Heiner-Moller, I hope the next coach is the best we can attract and afford.  If it happens to be a woman, I will be more than happy to support her.  

Please reread your words carefully and try to imagine how a woman would feel and react to them?

Edited by Binky

Shame on all of you who feel that Christine Sinclair needs to prove that she is worthy of coaching the CWNT. This woman was chosen to carry Canada's flag at the closing ceremony of the London Olympics (an honour neither Herdman or Heiner-Moller will ever experience). Christine Sinclair has also been recognized with the order of Canada (again an honour neither Herdman or Heiner-Moller will ever experience). Soon she will be the highest international goal scorer of all-time, male or female. What is the CSA or Portland going to teach her that she doesn't know already. Why do you think that she has been acknowledged with all these accolades?

1 hour ago, Binky said:

Shame on all of you who feel that Christine Sinclair needs to prove that she is worthy of coaching the CWNT. This woman was chosen to carry Canada's flag at the closing ceremony of the London Olympics (an honour neither Herdman or Heiner-Moller will ever experience). Christine Sinclair has also been recognized with the order of Canada (again an honour neither Herdman or Heiner-Moller will ever experience). Soon she will be the highest international goal scorer of all-time, male or female. What is the CSA or Portland going to teach her that she doesn't know already. Why do you think that she has been acknowledged with all these accolades?

There is no fight here.

If she can coach, and more to the point, wants to coach, fantastic.  However, you just can't snap your fingers and make it happen. 

I think she will be involved in the game going forward, I hope she wants to be as it seems not enough players remain involved in the game at all and we need more of them to do so.

No one thinks she needs to 'prove she is worthy' or doubts her commitment to soccer in this country.  You are asking for her to be the coach. We are only saying she should work on being a coach first to get there.  

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Binky said:

Please reread your words carefully and try to imagine how a woman would feel and react to them?

This post is further derailing and already absurd thread but:

-You don't need ovaries to coach women and you don't need testicle to coach men. 

-Unfortunately, there are still not enough women being given the respect and the opportunities they deserve to coach both men's and women's teams. That is slowly changing, but not fast enough.

-Rhian Wilkinson, who actually has coaching experience, would likely do a better job. Sinclair is a great player, maybe the greatest player; that does not signify that she would be a great coach.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

16 minutes ago, Blackdude said:

I remember how great Wanye Gretzky was as a coach.

And I remember how great Emmanuel Sanon was as a coach. Can't wait to see Haiti get slaughtered on Tuesday.

I will be really disappointed if Sinclair retires while she is still one of Canada's best eleven.

She is done as a forward. She was never fast but even the little speed she had is gone. But she is still a fantastic footballer, a cut above, and could still be outstanding in midfield, partnering Jesse Fleming; and her leadership out there makes everybody better. All she needs is a coach who will imbue her with the confidence to grab that ball and put it on the penalty spot when circumstances demand it.

No one ever became a less effective footballer because of age. Age is just the thing that is closely correlated with reduced speed and stamina. But let's not make the call based solely on age.

2 hours ago, Lofty said:

I will be really disappointed if Sinclair retires while she is still one of Canada's best eleven.

She is done as a forward. She was never fast but even the little speed she had is gone. But she is still a fantastic footballer, a cut above, and could still be outstanding in midfield, partnering Jesse Fleming; and her leadership out there makes everybody better. All she needs is a coach who will imbue her with the confidence to grab that ball and put it on the penalty spot when circumstances demand it.

No one ever became a less effective footballer because of age. Age is just the thing that is closely correlated with reduced speed and stamina. But let's not make the call based solely on age.

Seeing the way you answered my question, I suppose that there is a duality to "When will it happen?"

There is the when will Christine retire? And there is also the when will Christine break the goal scoring record? And maybe the two questions add up to one and the same?

From a retirement point of view, I would say that she has one year left at an international level, at best. There were numerous occasions during the recently completed World Cup, where she looked absolutely gassed. I know what that's like. At 63 years of age, I long ago recognized that there is no way I can keep up with an 18 or 19 year old. However, being as physically fit as Christine is, and the fact that Canada has never in her lifetime produced another player anywhere near her caliber, she can probably hold down a place for another year with the Tokyo Olympics looming on the horizon, from July 22 to August 8, 2020. After all, the Olympics are the stage where she has enjoyed her greatest moments, and a 12 team tournament seems to be the best suited for a 37 years veteran. Sticking around beyond that, say for the next World Cup in 2023, at the ripe old age of 40, would seem unrealistic and be a really sad reflection of how shallow the Canadian women's talent pool is at.

However, how would you rate Canada's chances of qualifying for the 2020 Tokyo Olympics? With 5 of the 12 spots already claimed, and only 2 spots allotted to CONCACAF, it would be difficult to picture the United States not qualifying. Therefore, is the CNWT the next best in CONCACAF right now? Canada has fallen to 7th place in the July 12, 2019 FIFA/Coca-Cola rankings.

USA
USA
2180 2101 0  
7 1976 2006 -2  
27 1699 1700 -1  
37 1630 1630 -1  
51 1453 1449 2  
56 1429 1433 0  
Means of qualification Ref. Dates2 Venue2 Berths Qualified
Host country   7 September 2013 N/A 1 23px-Flag_of_Japan.svg.png Japan
2018 Copa Am√©rica [12] 4‚Äď22 April 2018 23px-Flag_of_Chile.svg.png¬†Chile 1 22px-Flag_of_Brazil.svg.png¬†Brazil
2018 OFC Nations Cup [13] 18 November ‚Äď 1 December 2018 New Caledonia¬†New Caledonia 1 23px-Flag_of_New_Zealand.svg.png¬†New Zealand
2019 FIFA Women's World Cup
(As UEFA qualifying)
¬† 7 June ‚Äď 7 July 2019 23px-Flag_of_France.svg.png¬†France 3 23px-Flag_of_the_United_Kingdom.svg.png¬†Great Britain
23px-Flag_of_the_Netherlands.svg.png Netherlands
23px-Flag_of_Sweden.svg.png Sweden
2020 CAF Olympic Qualifying Tournament [14] 13 January ‚Äď 9 February 2020 Various 1 TBD
2020 CONCACAF Olympic Qualifying Championship   February 2020 TBD 2 TBD
2020 AFC Olympic Qualifying Tournament [15] 2‚Äď11 March 2020 Various 2 TBD
CAF‚ÄďCONMEBOL play-off ¬† 2020 (TBD) TBD 1 TBD
Total     12