L1O/PLSQ

coppercanuck

I got looking at the new teams coming in and last years table (and the Voyageurs' Cup debacle) and then wondered if the 2018 season could see a one tier step up.

I know not everyone is a fan of promotion/relegation and we all can't wait for the CanPL; what about something in-between?

Six teams ... promoted to a regional league.  Top 2 from each league's division. 

AS Blainville, Dynamo Quebec, Oakville Blue Devils, Sigma FC, Woodbridge Strikers and Vaughan Azzurri.

I'd be really curious to see how a few of those games turned out.  Get the best playing the best, that's really the idea here.

ps- if BC's league was operating, I'd add them to the mix too. Then, Winnipeg, Hamilton and Ottawa Fury  = CanPL (if every team can get a pro-license)

38 minutes ago, coppercanuck said:

I got looking at the new teams coming in and last years table (and the Voyageurs' Cup debacle) and then wondered if the 2018 season could see a one tier step up.

I know not everyone is a fan of promotion/relegation and we all can't wait for the CanPL; what about something in-between?

Six teams ... promoted to a regional league.  Top 2 from each league's division. 

AS Blainville, Dynamo Quebec, Oakville Blue Devils, Sigma FC, Woodbridge Strikers and Vaughan Azzurri.

I'd be really curious to see how a few of those games turned out.  Get the best playing the best, that's really the idea here.

ps- if BC's league was operating, I'd add them to the mix too. Then, Winnipeg, Hamilton and Ottawa Fury  = CanPL (if every team can get a pro-license)

Before CPL started talking about pro/rel I thought the kind of set up you are talking about was the best way to do it. Have multiple D3 leagues promote up to the D2 level. Have something like 3 div 3 leagues in the West, and 3 in the east, then have a western D2 and an eastern D2. Then those could promote into CPL.

I don’t remember any other details about my idea but I’m sure it’s documented somewhere in the retired 400 page CPL thread:)

I am not putting as much thought into that kind of a setup these days since we haven’t seen more D3 leagues sprouting up like I was hoping back then, and even the inclusion in the Voyageurs Cup also took longer (and more scaled back) than I hoped as well which I thought could help spur growth in terms of fan interest and competition level.

22 hours ago, coppercanuck said:

I'm not sure we'll see PLSQ join a super-D3, but I've seen Dino say in the past that he's open to pro/rel within L1O.

The emphasis currently seems to be on reducing travel costs (meaning that they'll probably focus on keeping regional conferences), but it's not impossible with 18 teams that we see six-team L1O, L2O West, and L2O East divisions.  I don't expect that to happen, but it's not impossible.

We'll have to see what kind of "playoff format" they announce later this month.

Archived