David Edgar

Complete Homer

16 hours ago, A_Gagne said:

Even after a serious injury layoff I doubt Edgar plays USL. A 1 year deal with either another MLS team willing to take a chance on him or lower div England I would suspect. More likely lower div England. At 31, I would suspect his priority is probably consistent PT at a club/level where he could moving up next year/play his way into one last decent (~2 year) contract. I doubt a USL club would give him that shot.

At the risk of hijacking this thread to talk about Edgar, I'd say that at 31 his priority is probably money, which is perhaps what you were driving at. With his injury history, I would be surprised to see him offered a contract longer than a year. But if he stays healthy and plays well, those 1 year contracts could carry him along for another 5 years or even longer.

On 14/03/2018 at 2:20 PM, Club Linesman said:

Give Van der Wiel some time. He has been much better after his first game. 

I think the criticism of Van der Wiel stems from unrealistic expectations. 

Are people expecting him to be the same VDW that played for PSG? Then of course you're disappointed. 

If you judge him not on his name or history, but just his performance, he has objectively done fine on both ends of the ball - which he should be praised for in my opinion, not criticized.

It is not easy to seemlessly fit into a new side in a new league on a new continent.

All that being said, Auro has been more impressive going forward and less impressive defensively. Of course though he is getting the rave reviews because he was a no-name with little expectation.

I don't think VDW has been any better or worse than Morrow so far, and he's been his usual self, so....

6 hours ago, dsqpr said:

At the risk of hijacking this thread to talk about Edgar, I'd say that at 31 his priority is probably money, which is perhaps what you were driving at. With his injury history, I would be surprised to see him offered a contract longer than a year. But if he stays healthy and plays well, those 1 year contracts could carry him along for another 5 years or even longer.

With the Caps, they already have a CB on a DP rate as well as acquiring another CB in the second year of a four year deal north of $220 K (or even more?), a younger, healthy former MLS starter in the $180 K+ range.  Not sure what Henry's fetching for his one year deal but I can't see it being low.  So really, I couldn't see them paying a whole lot of money for a 5th CB here (which would usually be a younger prospect type on a league minimum range salary).

• 2 weeks later...

USL teams are bringing in more and more players with decent pedigree.  More than half still have some sort of affiliation with a MLS club but there arent as many  obvious "farm clubs" full of youngsters left.  Still not that much movement from USL to MLS, but it happens.  Its more important for Edgar to play, show everyone that his knees are fine and he can still play week in week out.  Put himself in the shop window, even if the wages in USL will be a shock.  If he can be a BOSS at CB in USL, is fit and sharp there is no reson why he shouldnt get starts for CMNT this fall in CONCACAF nations league.  

2 hours ago, Ansem said:

hopefully he gets bought by CPL

I love how everytime a guy signs in USL, we say "hope he moves to CPL".

If I had to choose between David Edgar signing in the CPL, and David Edgar signing with Nashville SC for their inaugural MLS season, I would take the latter. 

Why? Because I want my national team players playing at the higest level possible, and in 2020 that will be MLS.

11 minutes ago, Obinna said:

If I had to choose between David Edgar signing in the CPL, and David Edgar signing with Nashville SC for their inaugural MLS season, I would take the latter. 

Why? Because I want my national team players playing at the higest level possible, and in 2020 that will be MLS.

For Edgar and his ilk, sure.  But there is a reason he is dropping a league (over 30 and bad knees).  And a very good chance he can go back up.  Younger players struggling for minutes in USL (Nanco, D.Haber, Ricci, Riggi, Heard etc), what do they have to lose?  I do want for them to look at the CPL.  USL-CPL will be close to a lateral move for these kids and with quotas on CDN players they'll get some time to show their skills.  

20 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

For Edgar and his ilk, sure.  But there is a reason he is dropping a league (over 30 and bad knees).  And a very good chance he can go back up.  Younger players struggling for minutes in USL (Nanco, D.Haber, Ricci, Riggi, Heard etc), what do they have to lose?  I do want for them to look at the CPL.  USL-CPL will be close to a lateral move for these kids and with quotas on CDN players they'll get some time to show their skills.  

Agreed. Depends on the player, but with Edgar it was one-too-many a case of people calling for established national team players to sign in the CPL.

Maybe someday, the league will be strong enough to support the base of our national team, with our top guys in either MLS, Liga MX or Europe.

It is going to take time.

3 hours ago, Obinna said:

Agreed. Depends on the player, but with Edgar it was one-too-many a case of people calling for established national team players to sign in the CPL.

Maybe someday, the league will be strong enough to support the base of our national team, with our top guys in either MLS, Liga MX or Europe.

It is going to take time.

When MLS started they had the entire (I believe, maybe one or two guys were exceptions) US national team come to play in the league. Raises the level and the perception of the league to have guys like Edgar in the league (at least incrementally).

Any national teamer that plays in the league I will be happy about. Short term pain for long term gain.

1 hour ago, Kent said:

When MLS started they had the entire (I believe, maybe one or two guys were exceptions) US national team come to play in the league. Raises the level and the perception of the league to have guys like Edgar in the league (at least incrementally).

Any national teamer that plays in the league I will be happy about. Short term pain for long term gain.

Please no more pain, being a NT fan is hard enough as it is :)

While I get your point, I don't think any of our players is a big enough name to change the perception of the league. I think we'd do better to bring in big foreign names for that. Names people recognize.

MLS has been criticized for being a retirement league, but I wouldn't mind at all if the CPL had that stigma at first. We're going to need something to draw casual fans, who probably wouldn't show to see David Edgar as a headliner. I would, but I am not a casual :)

16 hours ago, Obinna said:

TBH Edgar at 32 probably won't be a starter for us (or hopefully not if we have better options at that point). So to have him playing in MLS would be nice, but I'd rather have younger players in CPL learning from him

Just now, deschamp86 said:

TBH Edgar at 32 probably won't be a starter for us (or hopefully not if we have better options at that point). So to have him playing in MLS would be nice, but I'd rather have younger players in CPL learning from him

32 is not that old for a centre back. If he was like 36 I would be more inclined to agree. Edgar as a former Canadian international playing in the CPL is fine with me, but as long as guys are capable of competing for us internationally, I would prefer they not be in the CPL.

Now if the standard is much better than I anticipate, then i'll have a different view, but I don't expect it to be that strong at first. At the pace the USL is developing, it may not even be at that level when it launches.

I don't believe the details between the current Nashville SC USL club and the 2020 Nashville MLS club have been finalized yet. Whether it will be a merger or a buy-out, however it does seem like they are affiliated in some way.

It wouldn't be the worst thing for him to play this year and next in the USL and then hopefully move with the club to the MLS. He would be the same age in 2020 that Jakovic is this year.

• 1 month later...