David Edgar

Complete Homer

They said on the broadcast that Vanney thought TFC had the advantage defensively over Tigres.  Which maybe qualifies as the dumbest comment of the year - or maybe Vanney with his favouritism for the frat boys truly believes they are up to par with the rest of the squad. Mavinga is the lone stud back there and still had to battle all year for minutes over Zav and Hagglund.  It would be nice to get some more experience back there I like Moor and Mavinga but wouldn’t mind Edgar joining up to shore things up.

CB is the next logical step for TFC to upgrade. Hasler, VDW and Auro have shored up the fullback situation. I like Mavinga more than Moor, but there is a steep drop from there.  If they really want to win CCL and be a top MLS team they need to upgrade either Moor, or bring in a very solid third CB.  The expectations have really gone up and I am not even sure Edgar is the man.  He needs to find a home though...I would hate to see him drop to USL.  

1 hour ago, Keegan said:

They said on the broadcast that Vanney thought TFC had the advantage defensively over Tigres.  Which maybe qualifies as the dumbest comment of the year

I don't understand your objection to the comment. Do you think TFC is worse defensively but better offensively than Tigres? Is there some sort of huge gulf between Tigres' superior defense and TFC's inferior defense, and an equally or even bigger gulf between TFC's superior offense and Tigres' inferior offense?

I think the two sides over the two legs played quite evenly, and the score reflected that. I feel like either side could claim to have the slightly better defense or offense and not look stupid for doing it.

12 minutes ago, Kent said:

I don't understand your objection to the comment. Do you think TFC is worse defensively but better offensively than Tigres? Is there some sort of huge gulf between Tigres' superior defense and TFC's inferior defense, and an equally or even bigger gulf between TFC's superior offense and Tigres' inferior offense?

I think the two sides over the two legs played quite evenly, and the score reflected that. I feel like either side could claim to have the slightly better defense or offense and not look stupid for doing it.

I think Tigres defence is light years ahead of tfc’s it’s not even close. Across every area they had a slight edge.. maybe attackers you could say we were just as good but there was no debating they are much better in goal and at the back line. 

Also while we are talking about our back line.. van der wiel is looking like a waste. I can’t see how he’s any better than 3rd on our depth chart for right wingbacks.  Hopefully he’s not making too much but I’m sure he is with his former pedigree.. now it makes sense why his career was over so soon in Europe. 

Edited by Keegan

1 hour ago, Ruffian said:

We are assuming that he will only land on a Canadian MLS club or have to drop to USL. There is a whole league of teams in MLS where he should be able to find a role.

I think Edgar will count as a INT on US MLS teams, and that will prob scare away most of them.  Maybe 9-10 US clubs with open INT spots and I would think lots of them have deals in the works, and hope to use some TAM on a bigger impact player than Edgar.    Some of the more ambitious USL clubs might pay Edgar a wage that he might go for.  And yes that is all assumptions.  

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

I think Edgar will count as a INT on US MLS teams, and that will prob scare away most of them.  Maybe 9-10 US clubs with open INT spots and I would think lots of them have deals in the works, and hope to use some TAM on a bigger impact player than Edgar.    Some of the more ambitious USL clubs might pay Edgar a wage that he might go for.  And yes that is all assumptions.  

Must still have connections in England too. Surely there would be interest at League One level and that would be much better than USL.

2 hours ago, Keegan said:

I think Tigres defence is light years ahead of tfc’s it’s not even close. Across every area they had a slight edge.. maybe attackers you could say we were just as good but there was no debating they are much better in goal and at the back line. 

Also while we are talking about our back line.. van der wiel is looking like a waste. I can’t see how he’s any better than 3rd on our depth chart for right wingbacks.  Hopefully he’s not making too much but I’m sure he is with his former pedigree.. now it makes sense why his career was over so soon in Europe. 

Van der wiel successfully shut down one of the trickiest wingers in Concacaf over 2 legs. I would say that isn’t a waste. I’m not sure if you have seen Aquino play in other Tigres games or for Mexico, but the guy is very good. Van der wiel made Aquino invisible over the two legs. 

14 minutes ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

Van der wiel successfully shut down one of the trickiest wingers in Concacaf over 2 legs. I would say that isn’t a waste. I’m not sure if you have seen Aquino play in other Tigres games or for Mexico, but the guy is very good. Van der wiel made Aquino invisible over the two legs. 

I concur. Aquino is quality. Former Villarreal player. 

Maybe we were watching a different player.. the only thing GVW shut down was our attack anytime he got involved.  There was a point in the second half while on the ball that Giovinco stopped and started screaming across the pitch for him to move because the right side was completely open and GVW was just standing there. You would expect your number 9 to be more aware off the ball ;) 

The PK call on him was complete BS and he did well to avoid being concacafed previous to that. Hopefully he improves with time but considering his career has been in free fall the past couple seasons I won’t hold my breath. 

Edited by Keegan

6 hours ago, Obinna said:

Don't know how he is post-injury, but pre-injury David Edgar would have fared better than Moor or Zavaletta last night.

That's hard to say.  I thought pre injury Edgar teamed with Waston was a poor CB combo with the Caps at the end of 2016 and bus-parker Floro only used him as a striker sub in the final WCQ match that same fall.

8 hours ago, Keegan said:

Alright. I’m not sure how a team with just as good attacking and light years better defending loses the tie and gives up 4 goals over two games. That doesn’t add up to me or apparently Vanney, but you are entitled to your opinion.

4 hours ago, soccer.shocker said:

Off to the Ottawa Fury he goes I’m afraid

Even after a serious injury layoff I doubt Edgar plays USL. A 1 year deal with either another MLS team willing to take a chance on him or lower div England I would suspect. More likely lower div England. At 31, I would suspect his priority is probably consistent PT at a club/level where he could moving up next year/play his way into one last decent (~2 year) contract. I doubt a USL club would give him that shot.

1 hour ago, A_Gagne said:

Even after a serious injury layoff I doubt Edgar plays USL. A 1 year deal with either another MLS team willing to take a chance on him or lower div England I would suspect. More likely lower div England. At 31, I would suspect his priority is probably consistent PT at a club/level where he could moving up next year/play his way into one last decent (~2 year) contract. I doubt a USL club would give him that shot.

His career is winding down either way. At his age that is a devastating injury and full credit to him for even getting back to where professional football is still an option. Whilst I agree going back to UK is better than USL if he doesn’t catch on with another MLS team, I think He’d be a nice captain / player coach for a nascent CanPL team and great for marketing the product so to speak. So, barring another MLS deal or UK $$, my hunch is just that he links up with those whom he knows well from MNT like JDG in Ottawa, Ledgerwood in Calgary etc. with an eye to CanPL for a season or two before he takes up coaching / GM / TV or something along those lines 

10 hours ago, Bison44 said:

So he is a free agent? He can sign in England (abroad) anytime??  There isnt any silly MLS rules on this??  I hate to sound like dirtysanchez but I am confused.  

I don't know if Vancouver retained his rights, especially since they didn't offer him a contract. He can sign outside anywhere he wants but in MLS I'm not sure if VAN needs to get paid that discovery fee.

23 hours ago, Keegan said:

They said on the broadcast that Vanney thought TFC had the advantage defensively over Tigres.  Which maybe qualifies as the dumbest comment of the year - or maybe Vanney with his favouritism for the frat boys truly believes they are up to par with the rest of the squad. Mavinga is the lone stud back there and still had to battle all year for minutes over Zav and Hagglund.  It would be nice to get some more experience back there I like Moor and Mavinga but wouldn’t mind Edgar joining up to shore things up.

I really thought the lack of quality from the CB's was going to cost TFC late on once Mavinga went off, Moor is ok but losing a step, Hagglund is athletic and recovers well from mistakes, I don't rate Zavelleta, they got away with it, I just think the lack of squad depth is what eventually costs all MLS teams in this competition! This is a different MLS team though with quality everywhere on the pitch except CB depth, they may be good enough to win the whole thing if Mavinga comes back and the other CB's play above their level, as in cut out game changing errors!

23 hours ago, Keegan said:

I took it to mean defensively "as a team".

Not that TFC have better defenders than Tigres, though you could argue that Mavinga was the best defender for either side over the two legs.

33 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I took it to mean defensively "as a team".

Not that TFC have better defenders than Tigres, though you could argue that Mavinga was the best defender for either side over the two legs.

I suppose that might be true. With Bradley, Osorio, and Delgado clogging up the midfield TFC did seem about even with Tigres defending. That and our wingbacks defended very well.

1 hour ago, gator said:

I really thought the lack of quality from the CB's was going to cost TFC late on once Mavinga went off, Moor is ok but losing a step, Hagglund is athletic and recovers well from mistakes, I don't rate Zavelleta, they got away with it, I just think the lack of squad depth is what eventually costs all MLS teams in this competition! This is a different MLS team though with quality everywhere on the pitch except CB depth, they may be good enough to win the whole thing if Mavinga comes back and the other CB's play above their level, as in cut out game changing errors!

There's good enough for MLS and then there's good enough to compete against Liga MX. TFC CBs, except for Mavinga falls under good enough for MLS category.