David Clanachan-Commish

Rheo

...and along with the probable lack of Quebec content, the $500 million figure was probably extracted from an anatomically improbable location, but I don't blame the guy for doing that sort of thing. That's the way to get headlines and get noticed so that municipalities take you seriously and approve pop-ups and stadium retrofits. Flying under the radar was a strange approach in that sort of regard.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Didn't the Hamilton Spectator article yesterday mention Quebec city...I'm not sure Quebec is the province being referred to with that statement. Its a terribly worded and confusing sentence which essentially says "we have interest from prospective owners in every province except one".

The bottom line when it comes to Quebec City in this is whether you believe Milton's article is speculation on his part or he was fed the information by CPL sources.  We won't know until something is announced or Roy shows up there :)

22 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Not 100% clear cut, but yesterday's list from the Hamilton Spectator also included Mississauga which has been purely fan driven so far, as far as i am aware. Why dance around the subject if it isn't Quebec?

Wasn't there a city councillor who Tweeted some pro-CPL stuff?

Since 2013, current Quebec City mayor Regis Labeaume has always made clear he wanted a pro soccer team in Quebec City, ahead of CFL.

https://www.lesoleil.com/archives/une-franchise-de-soccer-professionnel-avant-le-football-a-quebec-7db4eec9d2160b216ac4da9709d7e97c

At the time, his target was NASL but with CPL, he'd be interested. Pretty sure the league reached out to local groups and the mayor office. In that article, he clearly identifies Stade Telus as a home for the team, unless an ownership would want to go elsewhere and build a modular stadium.

With the Telus Stadium, Quebec could start as early as 2019 if there's a ownership group in place.

That's why I'm hoping that a Quebec City ownership would pursue a downtown modular stadium instead of settling for that stadium. However, while that modular would be under construction, there's little choice but to use Telus and do something with the turf.

The way Larson responded to Rheo's tweet (in the CPL General thread) makes it look like he was using Clanachan's words. Larson confirmed that it includes Manitoba, so it's got to be Quebec that isn't yet in the pipeline. Apologies to Newfoundland but if it was them that do not yet have any prospects than they would have said something like "every province west of the maritimes" or "every non-atlantic province" instead of saying what was effectively "if you exclude these provinces, there is only one province that is also excluded". It doesn't look good to say right now there is nothing going on in the 2nd most populous province that is also the home to most of french speaking Canada, so they found a way to not name Quebec and focus on where there ARE plans for teams.

Personally I think it would have been more clear to just state the number of provinces that are currently on the list. 6 provinces or 7 provinces would still look great and wouldn't be so confusing.

21 minutes ago, Kent said:

The way Larson responded to Rheo's tweet (in the CPL General thread) makes it look like he was using Clanachan's words. Larson confirmed that it includes Manitoba, so it's got to be Quebec that isn't yet in the pipeline. Apologies to Newfoundland but if it was them that do not yet have any prospects than they would have said something like "every province west of the maritimes" or "every non-atlantic province" instead of saying what was effectively "if you exclude these provinces, there is only one province that is also excluded". It doesn't look good to say right now there is nothing going on in the 2nd most populous province that is also the home to most of french speaking Canada, so they found a way to not name Quebec and focus on where there ARE plans for teams.

Personally I think it would have been more clear to just state the number of provinces that are currently on the list. 6 provinces or 7 provinces would still look great and wouldn't be so confusing.

Just to be clear though. The wording of that is only ruling out one province...so if it is Quebec that is ruled out...then that means provinces like P.E.I and Newfoundland are on the list of potentials. Which is why it's confusing since yesterdays Hamilton Spec article had Quebec City on the "serious interest" list but no Charlottetown or St. John's...

Think PEI is a given on this and New Brunswick is a probable absence as well and that's why non-Maritime was added to the equation, which implies that one of the other seven provinces has no interested party so far. Nfld would be the obvious one but for the fact that some people don't understand the difference between Maritime and Atlantic and there have been recent media reports about interest in St John's. Ignoring Nfld then, BC, Alberta, Sask, Manitoba and Ontario are all known to have interested parties in place, so who does that leave? The other possibility is a game of semantics about Winnipeg already being accepted rather than interested but why phrase it that way in that scenario?

1 hour ago, mpg_29 said:

Just to be clear though. The wording of that is only ruling out one province...so if it is Quebec that is ruled out...then that means provinces like P.E.I and Newfoundland are on the list of potentials. Which is why it's confusing since yesterdays Hamilton Spec article had Quebec City on the "serious interest" list but no Charlottetown or St. John's...

28 minutes ago, DigzTFC said:

I would have to think PEI is the exclusion....

That's not what it's saying, the statement doesn't comment on the Maritime provinces, just the non-Maritime provinces. So in every province outside the Maritimes (i.e. BC, Alberta, Sask, Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec and possibly NL) there are groups, save one.

Larson could very well be incorrectly including NL as part of the Maritimes as people often do, and although the St. John's Edge ownership has expressed interest in starting a club in the league I can't imagine they've been involved long enough to be part of those 12-15 involved groups. So I'd guess the odd province out that he's referring to isn't NL, although I also doubt we have a club in the works just yet.

2 hours ago, Ansem said:

That's why I'm hoping that a Quebec City ownership would pursue a downtown modular stadium instead of settling for that stadium. However, while that modular would be under construction, there's little choice but to use Telus and do something with the turf.

Let's cause some controversy and lobby them to rip up the Plains of Abraham for a soccer field.

8 minutes ago, Zem said:

That's not what it's saying, the statement doesn't comment on the Maritime provinces, just the non-Maritime provinces. So in every province outside the Maritimes (i.e. BC, Alberta, Sask, Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec and possibly NL) there are groups, save one.

That wasn't how I interpreted it at first. I thought he was actually excluding the Maritime provinces from the possible province that didn't have a interested ownership group...not that he was discounting them from the equation altogether. That's why it seemed so convoluted to me...

Anyway would have been easier just to say which provinces are in/out...

40 minutes ago, Gopherbashi said:

Let's cause some controversy and lobby them to rip up the Plains of Abraham for a soccer field.

OMG, It's such a good idea it will never happen :-(

I'd build on the plains. That'd be an epic view for TV but... (Parking?)

1 hour ago, Gopherbashi said:

That would be popular in some circles I bet!

And the nicknames for the field... Wolfe's Lair ... Montcalm's Mess ... Seven Year's Pitch...

Am I the only one who read the comments about which provinces are represented as there being ownership groups from every province except one maritime one. Not necessarily that they were looking at markets in every province except one maritime province? Perhaps a group from Ontario is looking at putting a team in NB or Quebec? 

3 hours ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Am I the only one who read the comments about which provinces are represented as there being ownership groups from every province except one maritime one. Not necessarily that they were looking at markets in every province except one maritime province? Perhaps a group from Ontario is looking at putting a team in NB or Quebec? 

Sounds like you weren't the only one but it's more likely the way Zem described below.

6 hours ago, Zem said:

Larson could very well be incorrectly including NL as part of the Maritimes as people often do, and although the St. John's Edge ownership has expressed interest in starting a club in the league I can't imagine they've been involved long enough to be part of those 12-15 involved groups. So I'd guess the odd province out that he's referring to isn't NL, although I also doubt we have a club in the works just yet.

Archived