Zambrano out!

gator

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Herdman has no serious experience with the men. I am not saying women's soccer is a different game, but it is played differently, the standards are different, and the demand more severe. For me he is completely unacceptable as our men's coach, the move rather disgusts me overall.

To be clear,  I AM NOT DEFENDING THIS DECISION BY THE CSA.  But i dont buy at all the notion that someone who coaches or has coached the womens teams is not aware of the differences in how the mens game needs to be played.   Had Herdman come to canada and been given the reigns of the mens team instead of the womens team, we might have a different view on this subject.

The bigger issue here is that the CSA has fired a coach who has not had chance to prove himself. Someone they just hired and who, based on play and results, has done nothing to justify his dismissal.  Thats the disgrace here.  

• Replies 866
  • Created
  • Last Reply
59 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Perhaps the CSA understands that a great manager capable of making our national team play better or overachieve isn't a solution

Rebuilding the program from the ground up is a better long term solution. Herdman did it for the women.

There's a logic here despite how it went down

PERHAPS.... One can hope so, but I got my doubts as a lot of V's do... SMH

57 minutes ago, harrycoyster said:

Duane Rollins on his podcast just now: "Zambrano did nothing wrong, this caught him off guard as well. This move was forced by Herdman, who has been looking to move into the men's side of the game. Canada Soccer met his demands."

Utter Bullshit, if that was the reason behind this lunatic move... LMFAO

2 minutes ago, Jith12 said:

Only the CSA is capable of screwing up two programs in one move. Ridiculous move for bot the MNT and WNT. Who is this Kenneth Heiner-Møller person anyways?

Canada Soccer announces new leadership of Men’s National Team Program under John Herdman
canadasoccer.com 8 January 2018

CKenneth Heiner-Møller will take over as Women’s National Team Head Coach and Women’s National EXCEL Director after serving as an Assistant Coach alongside Herdman since 2015. Additionally, Bev Priestman will assume the role of Women’s National EXCEL Director U15-U23 and Women’s National Team Assistant Coach.

“We are pleased to have such a capable successor in Kenneth Heiner-Møller who has been a key part of the technical staff that has seen Canada capture back-to-back bronze medals and rise to its highest-ever ranking of 4th in the world.

Heiner-Møller joined Canada Soccer in 2015 as a technical coach with the Women’s National Team and served as assistant coach for the Rio 2016 Olympic Bronze Medal winning team. Heiner-Møller brings a wealth of experience having served as Denmark’s Women’s National Team Coach from 2006 to 2013 including leading them to qualification for the FIFA Women’s World Cup China 2007™.

“Working with Canada Soccer’s Women’s Program, and the remarkable players and staff who have made the past six years so incredible has been an absolute privilege, and I am confident the team and entire National Women’s Team Program are in excellent hands with Kenneth and Bev.

8 minutes ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Apparently a men's club (don't know what level) and England's women were after him.  If you think taking a broken team from last place in the WC to an Olympic medal isn't special, we're not on the same planet.  And the fact that they could come close but couldn't defeat the best women's team in the world doesn't allow me to crucify him.

And as usual the BS about a Canadian coach (Hart) who has to have the players win for him, you make sure Herdman can't win no matter what he does.  Bullshit

I don’t believe for a second that a serious men’s  club was after him. What is the source for that?

to me, this a move only a failed program like Canadian soccer would make.

3 minutes ago, Free kick said:

To be clear,  I AM NOT DEFENDING THIS DECISION BY THE CSA.  But i dont buy at all the notion that someone who coaches or has coached the womens teams is not aware of the differences in how the mens game needs to be played.   Had Herdman come to canada and been given the reigns of the mens team instead of the womens team, we might have a different view on this subject.

The bigger issue here is that the CSA has fired a coach who has not had chance to prove himself. Someone they just hired and who, based on play and results, has done nothing to justify his dismissal.  Thats the disgrace here.  

Amen!  As for the second part unfortunately it is the life of a pro coach and it is a done deal now.  Time to move on.

59 minutes ago, Keegan said:

It can't be a coincidence that we have nothing going on in January.  I'm hypothesising that the CSA wasn't going to do anything and like 2014 and 2010 before that they were going to play 5 friendlies all year and save $$$.  OZ probably gave his ultimatum and they took it and took on Herdman.  

I'm calling it right now, judge this move on what happens the rest of this year because that will be telling.  How could OZ be a disaster?  Oh, wow the man had us actually playing football and a group of young players motivated and was talking to fence-sitters?  And he had plans to scout all of Canada for more hidden gems.. oh, but that would cost $.

JOKE.  Don't try to put this on OZ because at the end of the day we still don't have ANYTHING booked for the foreseeable future and we've played 2 matches since July.  Look at the USA, they don't know who their coach is but the show goes on.  "Oh, we don't want to book anything while we don't know the future.." sorry, but whether you like it or not and coach or not the show goes on and it's glaringly obvious that we aren't playing matches and no one seems to care.

@ Keegan Your absolutely right!!!... No wonder there was no announcement or rumours whatsoever about the guys that were gonna be invited to the olympic U23 camp they were planning for tomorrow... On a day we were expecting the announcement of these players, look what we get... A shocker and BULLSHIT of a news!!!... Like r u blooding kidding me???... Herdman & Co better program some games this year throughout all FIFA windows, at least once in every FIFA window starting in MARCH & he better keep up in recruiting our top talent in playing for us, particularly all those fence-sitters Zambrano was in conversations for to lure to the national program save for the one... Now, I wonder what these fence-sitters will say about this gong-show of a pathetic mess that the CSA is... If they keep screwing things up like senselessly we won't go anywhere... Better boycott the CSA

4 minutes ago, Floortom said:

I don’t believe for a second that a serious men’s  club was after him. What is the source for that?

Herdman to replace Zambrano as Canadian men’s soccer team coach
John Molinaro sportsnet.ca January 8, 2018

Herdman said he made it known to Canada Soccer in early 2017 that he wanted to eventually make the transition into men’s coaching, and that he planned to step away from the Canadian women’s team in 2020. That, in part, appears to have led to his appointment. He told Sportsnet that he recently received job offers from a men’s club in North America, and one from a prominent women’s national team from abroad.

“From a motivational side, you get to that point in your career where you’re starting to feel ready for a new challenge, and the stars sort of aligned in some ways that some opportunities were presented in front of us… They were very good opportunities. I had some tough decisions to make and that led towards keeping a future here in Canada,” Herdman said.

He later added: “I’d always sort of talked about moving into the men’s game, and one of those opportunities came up, and a pretty prestigious opportunity came up on the women’s side. That was a big decision, as well. It’s been a crazy two months for us… [but] I felt I was ready for a new challenge, and this is where it’s ended up. I’m bloody excited.”

30 minutes ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

You have absolutely no clue about the potential or capability of this man.  That post enters total ahole territory.

How don't I have a clue about him? I have watched him coach the women. I have never seen any coach in world soccer easily transition from the women to the men, it is rarely done except in youth. He has no experience with pro men. 

But call me an ashole for saying it, typical Canadian parochialism coming to the fore there. you are going to have a conversation with a roomfull of asholes tonight seems to me.

1 minute ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

How don't I have a clue about him? I have watched him coach the women. I have never seen any coach in world soccer easily transition from the women to the men, it is rarely done except in youth. He has no experience with pro men. 

But call me an ashole for saying it, typical Canadian parochialism coming to the fore there. you are going to have a conversation with a roomfull of asholes tonight seems to me.

No problem, I'm used to it, Jeffery.  And I am proud to be a proud Canadian, I'm not afraid of that either.

5 minutes ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Herdman to replace Zambrano as Canadian men’s soccer team coach
John Molinaro sportsnet.ca January 8, 2018

Herdman said he made it known to Canada Soccer in early 2017 that he wanted to eventually make the transition into men’s coaching, and that he planned to step away from the Canadian women’s team in 2020. That, in part, appears to have led to his appointment. He told Sportsnet that he recently received job offers from a men’s club in North America, and one from a prominent women’s national team from abroad.

“From a motivational side, you get to that point in your career where you’re starting to feel ready for a new challenge, and the stars sort of aligned in some ways that some opportunities were presented in front of us… They were very good opportunities. I had some tough decisions to make and that led towards keeping a future here in Canada,” Herdman said.

He later added: “I’d always sort of talked about moving into the men’s game, and one of those opportunities came up, and a pretty prestigious opportunity came up on the women’s side. That was a big decision, as well. It’s been a crazy two months for us… [but] I felt I was ready for a new challenge, and this is where it’s ended up. I’m bloody excited.”

So the source is Herdman himself?? Ok.

could you imagine selling this to an important fence sitter like Cristante (yes I know he is now capped by Italy)

”wait, so this new coach never played at a decent level and only coached women?!?”

Everyone on this board is a proud Canadian, but that doesn't mean you blindly accept the bullshit being served on your plate. Unless Herdman is being paid significantly less than the $350K earmarked for the MNT coaching job than he is way under qualified for the position relative to the other candidates a search for the position would have attracted for the compensation being offered.

54 minutes ago, nolbertos said:

Why should I accept the CSA status quo of “if its broken, why fix it” mentality.  I hope Herdman gets the same scrutiny from the press and here that if he fails after his first Gold Cup, he gets the boot.  I’m not tolerating, 2 years of bullshit and CSA incompetence.

@nolbertos Neither would I... We have all see enough of this stupid BULLSHIT... IT look as, though, it was finally going to end and now look at this.. Regression????... For fuck's sake?

I am totally shell shocked. After all the positivity from the OZ hiring, results at the GC, his goal to change the mindset of the CMNT players in believing  they can win, playing attacking football, bringing in young players like Petrasso,  Adekugbe, Kaye & Cordova and getting Cavallini back in the fold and more recently his plans to expand scouting.....now all that has been wasted and it will take JH another year to develop his own philosophy and brand of play, assuming he even has the ability to coach a men's team. I could understand if OZ was replaced by a superstar coach, but this is total craziness and we fans are simply expected to follow and support the CSA. It is impossible to be a long term CMNT fan.

1 minute ago, matty said:

I really want to hear what Zambrano was doing to rock the boat? Some here will say it was related to program management but I'm curious if it's linked to the failed Ecuador and England games.

I thought it was the FA’s job to lineup friendlies. Why would Zambrano be responsible to get friendlies for Canada??  Is thr CSA that incompetent to schedule one with those countries??

Archived