Zambrano out!

gator

• Replies 866
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Ansem said:

Updated

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/john...womens-team/sn-amp/?__twitter_impression=true

I think people need to pause and read the article. People are being emotional here

If there were serious issues with Zambrano I could maybe understand a parting of ways althoug I am skeptical about how serious issues could have been and who is actually qualified at the CSA to determine this, my outrage is with the replacement and I like Herdamn, as women's coach! 

According to James Sharman

Speculation had Zambrano didn’t get the support from above that he felt he needed, regarding staff etc.

Zambrano had made progress on the pitch, too short of a tenure to be judged. Gold Cup was decent, but watered down.

4 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Updated

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/john...womens-team/sn-amp/?__twitter_impression=true

I think people need to pause and read the article. People are being emotional here

John Herdman's CV:

New Zealanda (Women) 2006-11

Canada (Women) 2011-17

...and i'll bet they're paying him the $350K allocated for the MNT manager. What a fuckin joke. This is just so they can keep him on to revamp the program from top to bottom. That's what a TECHNICAL DIRECTOR is for!!! You pay 6 figures and there are HUNDREDS of quality football people in Europe who would jump at the chance of revamping our programs.

2 minutes ago, gator said:

If there were serious issues with Zambrano I could maybe understand a parting of ways althoug I am skeptical about how serious issues could have been and who is actually qualified at the CSA to determine this, my outrage is with the replacement and I like Herdamn, as women's coach! 

Perhaps the CSA understands that a great manager capable of making our national team play better or overachieve isn't a solution

Rebuilding the program from the ground up is a better long term solution. Herdman did it for the women.

There's a logic here despite how it went down

It can't be a coincidence that we have nothing going on in January.  I'm hypothesising that the CSA wasn't going to do anything and like 2014 and 2010 before that they were going to play 5 friendlies all year and save $$$.  OZ probably gave his ultimatum and they took it and took on Herdman.  

I'm calling it right now, judge this move on what happens the rest of this year because that will be telling.  How could OZ be a disaster?  Oh, wow the man had us actually playing football and a group of young players motivated and was talking to fence-sitters?  And he had plans to scout all of Canada for more hidden gems.. oh, but that would cost $.

JOKE.  Don't try to put this on OZ because at the end of the day we still don't have ANYTHING booked for the foreseeable future and we've played 2 matches since July.  Look at the USA, they don't know who their coach is but the show goes on.  "Oh, we don't want to book anything while we don't know the future.." sorry, but whether you like it or not and coach or not the show goes on and it's glaringly obvious that we aren't playing matches and no one seems to care.

Just now, harrycoyster said:

Even if Zambrano had to go for whatever reason, hiring a women's coach to a multi-year without a search committee? Come on.

Zambrano wasn't world class either nor did he ever managed a national team or program

This is where I say people need to calm down and think

2 minutes ago, harrycoyster said:

Duane Rollins on his podcast just now: "Zambrano did nothing wrong, this caught him off guard as well. This move was forced by Herdman, who has been looking to move into the men's side of the game. Canada Soccer met his demands."

Zambrano wasn't world class while the other has experience at revamping a program and coaching a national team.

It's not an illogical decision.

2 minutes ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

Herdman indeed threatened to leave for the England job if he didn't get the men's job

But what does that have to do with the Men's team?  What good is Herdman to the women's team as men's coach?

Does the CSA think Herdman is the next big thing in Men's football and was that scared to lose him?  Let him go to England... it's not like he'd turn down the Canada men's job even if he left.

Just now, Ansem said:

Zambrano wasn't world class either nor did he ever managed a national team or program

This is where I say people need to calm down and think

Sorry but what club experience does Herdman have?? Zambrano at least coached in MLS.  Even Stephen Hart coached kings of donair which is better than nothing.  I think there’s more to this story than Peter Schaad tweets of him doing nothing.  He probably though ruffling feathers here would get results, but instead the CSA and Provincial associations don’t want the status quo to change.

I recommend looking at Octavio's twitter account. Nothing on this decision yet, but total generosity about his colleagues and positive vibes always about Canadian soccer, in favour of TFC, young players emerging, Atiba. Including praise for Herdman in early November after he won those coaching awards. 

I am smelling a stab in the back on the part of JH, sorry to say. I suspect it, have no confirmation, but just compare notes. JH wanted that job, and he got it. Here is what Octavio had to say about his colleague less than 2 months ago:

Congratulations to @coachherdman on his award, and for elevating @CanadaSoccerEN #CanWNT to the highest level. Best on the upcoming games.

So if we brought on board Zidane or Guardiola as a coach we'd qualify and perform with other nations?

I think the decision has more to do with rethinking the men's program than coaching.

That's my opinion hence the CSA switch. Reed said so to Molinaro, they are looking at long term

Archived