Zambrano out!

gator

• Replies 866
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kurt Larson wrote this in 2018: 

Matches aren’t won via athleticism and emotion as they are in the women’s game. Results are secured through tactics and technical ability on the men’s side.

I actually didn't mind the rest of his article but it's hard to take him seriously after that.

8 hours ago, Ansem said:

I'm actually shocked at myself for writing this, but it seems the new brass at the CSA aren't looking for mediocrity anymore. Result wise, anything less than the last Gold Cup is a utter failure, but there's was nothing to start celebrating over either.

Again, shocked that I'm writing that the CSA might be looking to actually win and no longer settle for mediocrity.

Also, if Davies gets hurt or wasn't part of that tournament, we wouldn't have made it that far. We can't be a 1 or 3 player team. We need more depth.

Ha ha that’s good kid , I get it your young and full of optimism it makes sense.

1 hour ago, nolbertos said:

Osiek qualiefied Australia to the World Cup since he left.  But then again Australia has a domestic league and higher calibre players than Canada.  He would be a welcome sight in Canada, but he’d probably not come back with the current CSA in power.

All credit to Osieck but there’s a reason he hasn’t coached in 5 or 6 years, the game has moved beyond him and his style.

1 hour ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Got it in one.  As I say to my brother when we argue, "saying it louder doesn't make it right"  :)

No Sid actually is able to say stuff that our so called soccer journalist don’t have the balls to say or write about, they never ask the hard questions, but according to some on this board everything is ok with the CSA , we have not qualified for the Hex in I forget how many years, we still have not produced top level players like Basketball Canada has , just look at all the Canadians in the NBA, how many Canadians in top soccer leagues in the world or even MLS, but nobody ever asks those questions, when a guy like Sid rants and tells it like it is he is a quack , ya ok whatever , thank God for Sid for telling it like it fucken is!

1 hour ago, jonovision said:

Kurt Larson wrote this in 2018: 

I actually didn't mind the rest of his article but it's hard to take him seriously after that.

I hear ya... I read that article myself today, I don't know , he seems to be a little hyper-critical of Canadian soccer sometimes that guy or belittling I shall say.... There have been good reasons for it (critical) part for years, but even when they have a good performance (i.e. last year's GC, friendly against Jamaica) he throws in some condescending comments about the CANMNT... As you may know he is an American, but seems to have been living in Canada for quite some time now, but I wouldn't just picked on this fact as to why he may make certain comments... But yeah, hard to take that guy seriously 

6 minutes ago, 1996 said:

still have not produced top level players like Basketball Canada has

We are getting there, thing is that some of these players are still far too young to already considered them big-household names and still got lots to prove in the sport... Davies could very well become the biggest of all, even Ballou should he opt to play for us down the road... These two guys alone are already drawing heavy interest from big-name clubs, but like I just said, they still got an awful lot to prove, but their ceiling is very high and can become star players from a global perspective, but still long ways to go on that one.... Also Larin's been drawing heavy interest from the biggest side in Turkey, mind you a squad now boasting some very talented-proven players from UEFA and 1 from Conmebol and heck , a Bundesliga side is also a front-runner... Slowly, but surely they are coming... But they still gotta prove it at that next level is the thing, a circumstance that has yet to happen, not to mention at the international stage, at least Larin's got ways to go on that one... Look back at the 2015 Concacaf GC as no further reference, lmfao... Sid is right from a historical perspective, as there has hardly been any real impact game-changer type of players coming from these parts  with the exception of Atiba Hutchinson , ironically from a squad that has shown heavy interest in one of our highly-rated prospect from like the last 4 years... There could have a couple of others, but they all defected us, needless to say.... We may argue for good reasons given the mess, effed up system that the CSA historically has proven to be and at that times it was in a hell of a lot more shambles that it is now... And regarding Canada Basketball one of this top picks, turn out to be a bust, now he is a journeyman toiling around the G-League with a brief stop at Fenerbahçe and still couldn't crack it there as well as when given the opportunity with his hometown Raptors a few seasons back... From what I have heard 2 are doing really well (one of them being the other top pick) ...Another solid talent is now trying his luck out in China... Though, Canada Basketball might be destined for another top pick in the 2019 draft... Forgot to mention another hidden gem in the form of Canniggia Ginola Elva, currently with the Vfb Stuttgart reserves/youth or whatever and he seems to be getting closer to cracking the main team which would put him the squad of one of the best leagues in the world... He is one exciting talent as well, he's got some very good upside and can be quite the player... He even trialed with Arsenal... I even would add Hoilett, developed in Britain, though not in the biggest academy game, but did take the Premier League by storm in his early years coinciding when those teams he played were within the Premier League... He regressed a bit I guess later on, reason why a bigger name club from within the Premier League maybe didn't take a shot on him, but is back in  great form now and a big contributor in his Championship side and they still have the possibility of getting back into the Premier League in the not too distant future.... Not sure when their season ends to know for certain if they will get promoted or not... He is quite a dynamic player too and fun to watch indeed... 

6 minutes ago, 1996 said:

how many Canadians in top soccer leagues in the world or even MLS,

Once CANPL gets off the ground, which is sounding now more like a possibility the number of Canadians being sold to higher leagues could gradually go up, no suggesting it's gonna grow tenfold, but it will give the CSA a clear path for these guys to be developed locally and if they meet/exceed expectations for sure will be eyed by bigger name clubs... Despite the lack of its existence, there have been a fair number of players that are being developed in very good youth teams academy from some very respectable leagues in the world and some are moving up the ranks quite well and are only a few years away from making the first team... But I get your argument as to how hardly any Canadian players up to now have proven their worth/value in top soccer leagues... In MLS it has been a little more prevalent, but prolly not high enough yet, but there is a good chance that this coming season some CANMNT prospects will have breakout seasons and show their worth as long as they are given the right opportunities... You likely will see that from the CMLS, Impact is the biggest name that comes to mind... Also if I'm not mistaken Canada has the highest number of players in MLS at this time after the U.S. obviously based on recent data that another fellow V posted a couple weeks back.. Again, I will not get into the playing time factor here which seems to be what you are getting at this thread... Note that this also includes CANMNTers/propspects born outside Canada...All in all , we do need more of our lads playing in top bigger leagues and most importantly showing what they are really about, but again I will keep mentioning that we are slowly but surely getting there... CANPL might swap away some of these fringe MLS Canadian players and provide them with the right opportunities they currently don't get and who knows where they can go from there... I'm referring to those few that excel and light it up in CANPL 

4 hours ago, xcalibre said:

So in short, every MNT coaching appointment in the last 16+ years has been a mistake. I wish I was joking. Anyone with half a brain could tell Floro was a mistake, Zambrano seemed like an odd choice but we were cautiously optimistic but now know that was botched. Herdman getting in without MDS even getting a phone call shows how professional this most recent process was

Was Hart a mistake? At the time he seemed the like best sort of homegrown option we had, even today he'd be a tempting option, then got caught in a shift and tried to adjust. Since he left, he got another team to the hex

29 minutes ago, matty said:

Was Hart a mistake? At the time he seemed the like best sort of homegrown option we had, even today he'd be a tempting option, then got caught in a shift and tried to adjust. Since he left, he got another team to the hex

Hart was woefully unqualified when he got the interim job in 07. Probably the most unqualified and amateurish coach we have ever had.  Mens league and U17 experience, cringe worthy stuff.  However he had a lot of talent at his disposal and unlike Floro had a striker who could score. Hart learned a lot on the job but was always the wrong guy and was exposed for what he really was that hot day in Honduras in 2012.  The hex w TnT was the result of an easy group and he rightly got fired shortly thereafter. Hes not had a job since as far as I know.

18 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

Hart was woefully unqualified when he got the interim job in 07. Probably the most unqualified and amateurish coach we have ever had.  Mens league and U17 experience, cringe worthy stuff.  However he had a lot of talent at his disposal and unlike Floro had a striker who could score. Hart learned a lot on the job but was always the wrong guy and was exposed for what he really was that hot day in Honduras in 2012.  The hex w TnT was the result of an easy group and he ran rightly got fired shortly thereafter. Hes not had a job since as far as I know.

He also had an extensive background and knowledge of provincial systems which we know is highly important and was also a TnT player for what it's worth. He got lucky with the player pool he had for a time and along with that pool eventually came crashing down. I do think he lacked the background coaching post wise but I don't think he should totally be called a mistake. Maybe an experiment that didn't work out.

Regarding the had an easy pool TnT got....pretty much every pool was kinda of trash 

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

And if the CSA tried to sell dog-shit to their blindly uncritical shills and herd-mentality followers, they'd come on this board telling us it's ice cream. You know who I'm talking about, don't you? :)

Pun intended?

1 hour ago, matty said:

He also had an extensive background and knowledge of provincial systems which we know is highly important and was also a TnT player for what it's worth. He got lucky with the player pool he had for a time and along with that pool eventually came crashing down. I do think he lacked the background coaching post wise but I don't think he should totally be called a mistake. Maybe an experiment that didn't work out.

Regarding the had an easy pool TnT got....pretty much every pool was kinda of trash 

I really don't understand why this is so important for the manager of the National Team, surely at this level all the players who may be worth a look for the team are identified? The coordination of the provincial associations and to a lesser extent youth teams should be left to the Technical Director who should not be the National Team coach IMHO, that's not to say the coach shouldn't have input but he should have enough on his plate without having to sort out under 12 rep teams!

2 minutes ago, gator said:

I really don't understand why this is so important for the manager of the National Team, surely at this level all the players who may be worth a look for the team are identified? The coordination of the provincial associations and to a lesser extent youth teams should be left to the Technical Director who should not be the National Team coach IMHO, that's not to say the coach shouldn't have input but he should have enough on his plate without having to sort out under 12 rep teams!

I dunno ask the CSA why they gave a shit about OZ not talking to the provinces. I do agree with you on the main point.

5 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Osieck actually did not fail. He was our coach for the Gold Cup win. He had an overall winning record. He also had a better record in official matches than in friendlies. We did not qualify for the World Cup with him, but that has been par for the course for decades now. I don't consider he was a failure. It could be said, considering the WC campaign came later on, that he peaked too early or that we stalled.

Osieck wanted to make changes as well. He wanted to build a grassroots youth program like the one they currently use in Germany. He would have done a fantastic job if he was given the right support. He also wanted some of the old boys gone and that is when his problems started. He was a great coach and had a lot of football knowledge. More than anyone in Canada, but I’m sure the CSA apologist will say differently. Everyone that wanted to remove the old boy elements in the sport got dealt with accordingly. Some of those coaches understandably were very frustrated...

2 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

The bitter irony of this headline from just 4 weeks ago (with two weeks of Xmas holidays in between no less) is just too much:

https://the11.ca/zambrano-says-major-changes-coming-to-national-program-for-2018/

I mean, he was right, but not in the way he thought was going to be

Feel bad for him. I think he had the right idea. He seemed to really like the talent he saw locally in the GTA. I think he would have done a great job given the proper support. Hope he speaks up about what actually took place. Many would not be so quick to put him down if they knew the half of it...

Archived