Zambrano out!

gator

6 minutes ago, Brazilero said:

Morace made the womans team better... She made the right progress and because she didn't want to play ball with the CSA, she was removed. Same old story...Everyone that is trying to do what is necessary to make real change, is removed. Funny how that happens...smh

Oh my fucking God this is actually happening.

Rob Friend is a great striker, he just needs better service!

• Replies 866
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, zeelaw1555362314 said:

Sick of my non-soccer friends being educated from Sid's rant yesterday.

Got so many clueless texts.

At least your friends got the truth, we got the same old toothless try not to offend anyone, from the soccer media who seem to be in bed with the CSA.

18 minutes ago, -Hammer- said:

Zambrano had two loses to his name. One in the gold cup to Jamaica and one friendly loss to El Salvador.

He however got us further then we had in ages at the Gold Cup, he drew Costa Rica who is arguably the #2 or #3 program in CONCAAF he avenged his loss to Jamaica in a friendly and he certainly ran a better and more flexible system then Floro.

I'm not going to say Zambrano was perfect, there is some stuff behind the scenes we don't know about (although I will say asking him to rebuild the youth system seems a bit out of what the role should entail) and I'm not going to rip into Herdman's ability. He's made strides in the Woman's game and has produced a great deal of success there (although how much that will translate to the men, we'll have to see). As far as the potential of backroom politicking to get the job, and using England as leverage, I'm not impressed by it and really if he finds success, what's to stop him from doing it again? That said, I suspect that not all the facts are out on this one. I'm a little puzzled as to why coaching the women became less appealing to Herdman.

What ticks me off about this is Zambrano appears to have produced far better then Floro did and yet was given substantially less rope then Floro was. I have little doubt he probably did rattle some cages at the CSA but I don't think anyone can say with a straight face that there are cages don't need to be rattled there? He wasn't even given a year and that's absurd. If Herdman doesn't work out (and I'm not saying he won't) how difficult is it going to be to attract a new head to the program after how quick you turfed the last guy. 

What is certain though, this move has weakened our Women's team, and has set back our Men's team, by how much and for how long we'll have to see. Systems, strategy and player selections will likely need to be re-done with a new coach so short-term it's a problem. Long term, frankly it's a giant question mark. Herdman has skills as a women's soccer coach, coaching the cream of the crop talent wise in the world there, but not coaching a team that is dead in the middle of the FIFA rankings and whose players are making six figures and being coached by other coaches in Europe and MLS.

Instead of just letting the woman's program become weakened with him potentially leaving, you've weakened the Women's program just as much as if he had left, and have short term weakened the men and potentially long term as well if his acumen and leadership doesn't translate over to the men.  I'm skeptical that Zambrano was so intolerant to work with to turf him that quickly after he produced positive results. Then again, maybe Herdman will outshine even Zambrano and long-term it will be the right move. It is a risky move, that seems needless, especially given the optics.

That all said, I'm not about to support making a giant torches and pitchforks tifo next Men's game because of this.

Herdman has been saying for a while that he was looking for a new challenge...I don't know how he could have been more plain about it. I don't think he's qualified for his new position but the CSA apparently do and they didn't like Zambrano so things worked out as far as they're concerned.

No doubt Herdman is a good motivational coach, seems bright enough and maybe he'll have some success. I think he's in a very bad starting position though, it'll be tough for the men to have much belief in him as the losses pile up...much easier to blame the inexperienced coach than their own shortcomings.

All in all though, a typically mickey mouse shitshow from the CSA. Too bad, I thought they had improved but I was wrong.

22 minutes ago, Brazilero said:

Morace made the womans team better... She made the right progress and because she didn't want to play ball with the CSA, she was removed. Same old story...Everyone that is trying to do what is necessary to make real change, is removed. Funny how that happens...smh

Definately not the same old story there.  I would dig a little deeper before holding her up as an example of anything.

1 hour ago, Brazilero said:

Didn't she quit after humiliating World Cup run, that happened after the CSA did everything to get her to stay on after the cup? That really doesn't sound like the CSA is the bad guy in her exit.

1 hour ago, Brazilero said:

oh my god leaving aside everything else she did, she coached the U20 WNT in 2010 qualifying and they lost to Mexico AND Costa Rica and did not qualify to the U20 WWC for the only time in their history (after winning qualifying in 2008 over the US yes really), how is that an improvement?!?! 

21 minutes ago, matty said:

Didn't she quit after humiliating World Cup run, that happened after the CSA did everything to get her to stay on after the cup? That really doesn't sound like the CSA is the bad guy in her exit.

She quit the February before the World Cup because the CSA wouldn't agree to her proposed budget changes (is the public story anyways, I don't know if all the details ever really came out because she continued saying that they weren't performing as well as they could have because she wasn't getting enough support from the CSA but also the CSA was paying for the whole team to live and train in Rome for six months before the World Cup), the team went on strike to try to get the CSA to get her to stay/get the CSA to spend more on them I guess?, the CSA finally sent people to talk to her so that the players would play games again, they supposedly agreed to something right before the World Cup started and she was supposed to stay until after the Olympics I think?, they played terribly and finished last and then she quit again and iirc the CSA was not super expecting it. 

19 minutes ago, carolynduthie said:

She quit the February before the World Cup because the CSA wouldn't agree to her proposed budget changes (is the public story anyways, I don't know if all the details ever really came out because she continued saying that they weren't performing as well as they could have because she wasn't getting enough support from the CSA but also the CSA was paying for the whole team to live and train in Rome for six months before the World Cup), the team went on strike to try to get the CSA to get her to stay/get the CSA to spend more on them I guess?, the CSA finally sent people to talk to her so that the players would play games again, they supposedly agreed to something right before the World Cup started and she was supposed to stay until after the Olympics I think?, they played terribly and finished last and then she quit again and iirc the CSA was not super expecting it. 

That fact combined with Kara lang comparing her camps to prison camps really sounds like Stockholm syndrome

2 hours ago, Benjamin Massey said:

Oh my fucking God this is actually happening.

Rob Friend is a great striker, he just needs better service!

The point at which the Zaambrano apologists and those who are apoplectic over Herdman's appointment start dragging a defence of Carolina Morace into the discussion, I know I've entered a parallel universe.

Y'all need to sit down and relax for a while.  This hyperventilation isn't getting useful oxygen to your brains.

3 hours ago, zeelaw1555362314 said:

Sick of my non-soccer friends being educated from Sid's rant yesterday.

Got so many clueless texts.

My 13 year old son who is a CMNT fan but not on this board came up to me last night and asked "WTF is going on?". 

So in short, every MNT coaching appointment in the last 16+ years has been a mistake. I wish I was joking. Anyone with half a brain could tell Floro was a mistake, Zambrano seemed like an odd choice but we were cautiously optimistic but now know that was botched. Herdman getting in without MDS even getting a phone call shows how professional this most recent process was

5 minutes ago, Ansem said:

No, they failed

Osieck actually did not fail. He was our coach for the Gold Cup win. He had an overall winning record. He also had a better record in official matches than in friendlies. We did not qualify for the World Cup with him, but that has been par for the course for decades now. I don't consider he was a failure. It could be said, considering the WC campaign came later on, that he peaked too early or that we stalled.

13 hours ago, DoyleG said:

Sid is one of those "hot takes" type of individuals which have dominated sports media. Its hard to take anything serious from those kind.  Easier to believe in conspiracy and paranoia than rather look at the facts.

Got it in one.  As I say to my brother when we argue, "saying it louder doesn't make it right"  :)

25 minutes ago, Ansem said:

No, they failed

Osiek qualiefied Australia to the World Cup since he left.  But then again Australia has a domestic league and higher calibre players than Canada.  He would be a welcome sight in Canada, but he’d probably not come back with the current CSA in power.

7 hours ago, ray said:

The CSA wasn't impressed that Canada won games and scored goals at the 2017 Gold Cup?  It didn't happen in the previous two Gold Cups.  Idiotic.  Brings into question their other reasons for dissatisfaction.

While missing their best player!

2 hours ago, paul-collins said:

The point at which the Zaambrano apologists and those who are apoplectic over Herdman's appointment start dragging a defence of Carolina Morace into the discussion, I know I've entered a parallel universe.

One of those posters especially, occupies a different solar system than the rest of us.  I used to call them "The CSA Legion of Doom"  If the CSA said we'll treat everybody to a free ice cream those guys would be against it.  :)

1 minute ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

One of those posters especially, occupies a different solar system than the rest of us.  I used to call them "The CSA Legion of Doom"  If the CSA said we'll treat everybody to a free ice cream those guys would be against it.  :)

And if the CSA tried to sell dog-shit to their blindly uncritical shills and herd-mentality followers, they'd come on this board telling us it's ice cream. You know who I'm talking about, don't you? :)

26 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Osieck actually did not fail. He was our coach for the Gold Cup win. He had an overall winning record. He also had a better record in official matches than in friendlies.

He had a pretty good run for a while.  I can't recall correctly but did he have something like a 15 game unbeaten streak at one point

Archived