Zambrano out!

gator

14 minutes ago, gator said:

It seems to me guys like Molinaro and Davidson in the mainstream media aren't telling all and don't really see this all as a disaster for so many reasons! I get that they probably really like Herdman from covering the WNT and have to not rock the boat too much, there doesn't seem to be much questioning of these moves, maybe myself and several others on here have it all wrong?

So my bell bottom jeans MIGHT NOT be back in style and no one has the guts to tell me??  Come to think of it, I have heard whispers around the water cooler.  Hmmmmm.....

• Replies 866
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Benjamin Massey said:

Listening to Molinaro on Blair, Molinaro actually said that Zambrano was "not the most political guy" rather than not politically correct. It was worth the fifteen minutes to listen to.

Lol someone needs to improve their listening skills. You are in fact correct sir.

2 hours ago, Benjamin Massey said:

Listening to Molinaro on Blair, Molinaro actually said that Zambrano was "not the most political guy" rather than not politically correct. It was worth the fifteen minutes to listen to.

"not the most political guy" = telling it like it is and not kissing everyone's ass?    That's how I take it anyways.

This is joke…

Supposedly CSA was not going to announce this until Friday but the MNT U23 camp opened today on Tuesday with two “caretaker” coaches attending. Is that not a complete waste of money? How do we make these guys accountable for this type of waste? 

It sounds as if the story was leaked by Molinaro before the CSA was ready to release. Molinaro also "leaked" that some players were no longer happy with Zembrano.

Most people see Herdman as a genius; he is a great self-promoter. I always laugh at how he has to view the first 25 minutes of the game up in the stands, something that I have never seen with many successful coaches.

Anyway, the reality is he took over a successful top-ten program (average ranking of 9 since FIFA started the ranking system), with a huge talent pool (just look at the investment/enrollment in women’s programs in other CONCACAF – not USA or Mexico-  or even CONMEBOL countries), with a star “game-changer” player (Sinclair).

Herdman took over in 2011. Since 2010, WNT ranking in FIFA was 9(2010)-7(2011)-7-7-9-11(2015)-4-5. People will point to two Olympics bronzes but for some reason, nobody (especially the CSA) sees the quarter-final finish in the 2015 WC in Canada as a failure. Aren't you supposed to win these "home" tournaments. Brazil saw not winning the men 2014 WC as a failure. By comparison, the team that was knocking on his door, England, has ranked 5(2015)-5-3 since 2015 and England actually beat the US team in 2017.

And that brings me to the next point. I’ll admit Canada was robbed against the US at the 2012 Olympics, but that is as close as they have come to beating the US. So to say, there was no longer any challenge is absolute BS, still have not beaten the #1 team. Looking forward, the competition for the next women’s WC will be very tough with USA, Germany and England in the top 3. And Sinclair will be 36. So, this is probably his best chance for a good deal.

Can he be better than Zembrano? At least, Zembrano had a positive Gold Cup in 2017.

If you get a chance listen to what Sid Sexiero of the Tim and Sid show on Sportsnet had to say about the Octavio Zambrano firing and the Herdman hiring and the CSA in general , he is spot on could not have said it better my self , thank you Sid! Moreover, he is mainstream a lot more in the mainstream than all these weak Soccer writers we have here in Canada who  never have  anything critical to say and never ask the hard questions they just accept everything and question nothing, thank you Sid and God bless!

You know, the CSA probably feels strongly feel that John Herdman's public profile will bring some relevancy to the Men's team. Sounds strange, I know, but hear me out.

The women's profile is much wider and broader and move positive, and Herdman was their program. He's the biggest figure, outside of St. Claire. This could work out great for our public profile, but it's dependent on his success, which is a huge gamble. If it pays off it will be a new era in the national team, perhaps unchartered territory.

BUT if he doesn't get us to the World Cup in Qatar and we do poorly in 2026, it will be a massively wasted opportunity for the CSA. Massive gamble, but kudos for them having the balls to do this. Brave and stupid are often coupled though. Let's see what happens.

4 hours ago, matthew said:

BCM, I hear your frustration. I share it. I have covered a lot of different things and entities over the years and I started a small soccer site largely because I felt there was a void in soccer coverage and it seemed like there was a niche to fill for the CanPL stuff primarily.

I’m not being paid and I don’t have a big organization behind me. Which makes things harder. I am pretty easy to get rid of. I wanted to talk to Rob Gale after the failed U20 campaign. That never happened. Rob, FWIW, seems more than happy to talk to me, but he goes through official channels. Which has led me nowhere.

I won’t report what I can’t verify. I am not as well connected as Steve Sandor or Duane Rollins (I assume). I don’t know the players well enough to know their dynamics. I started re-thinking some of the quotes I got from veterans. I started thinking about Zambrano’s training sessions I watched. I tried to decide if what I was hearing maybe made some sense with some context or was just people with axes to grind. These are people’s careers and reputations at stake. I usually err on the side of caution.

I almost didn’t post anything in the aftermath, but coming to the board I understood the complete shock at what had happened. I don’t really understand what happened. I feel comfortable saying that Zambrano had a performance review in mid-November and apparently passed it. I have no idea what changed. Maybe it was the Herdman situation that changed. There did seem to be an idea gaining root that Herdman forced his way into the job and that forced OZ out, but I felt it mattered that OZ was already down to his last strike, if not worse. 

I wasn’t trying to defend the CSA, just try to reiterate that there may be a (valid?) reason for this firing. But it is up to the CSA to justify this. It might not be pretty, but I’m not sure the optics can be any worse than they are now.

Thanks to the people who had my back. Also, not to be a cranky old journo, but Marc Weber and I used to work at daily newspapers (his, much better than mine), Steve Sandor is editing a magazine today and finishing a book, Duane Rollins has a day job (AFAIK). The media landscape continues to change for the worse and we're worse off as a soccer community for it. I don't mind the criticism. I wish I had tried harder to dig and verify. That's on me.

cheers, matthew

@matthew

Thanks for the response, appreciate it. I also see the need for and appreciate the role of the lone website journalist. I actively supported Squizz and Duane early on, because without you guys it's really a barren wasteland for Canadian related football news.

I also appreciate that there's a fine line between rumour and fact. In my view some - not even most - of what was printed yesterday crossed over into the fact category and shouldn't have been withheld, only to be used later to prove that the individual was in the know all along.

Anyway, keep doing what you're doing...

Just now, Ansem said:

Damn Sid! Why you got to be so convincing! 

Moreover, he is mainstream, not a soccer writer who only the few  die hard soccer fans read or listen to , mainstream sports fans watch this  show and they are getting this , fucken beautiful, thank Sid!

Sid Seixeiro 1/9/2017:

"So they want to keep John Herdman. Out goes Octavio Zambrano after 10 months... And it is disgraceful, the smear campaign, the lazy smear campaign that the Canadian Soccer Asociation has started on Zambrano in order to pass this as something they had to do

And I'm hearing stories about how players didn't like his methods, I'm hearing stories about how he went over peoples heads, technical directors... I want a guy to come into this country and tell the accountant that's running Soccer Canada he doesn't know what he's doing

I want guys coming into this program teaching them what the hell to do because we don't know what we're doing, but that's making people uncomfortable apparently, that's not what we want, we want the guy who went to Simon Fraser hiring all of his buddies...

Octavio Zambrano was a good soccer man, and that team played for him, and I wish John Herdman all the best in the world, but the fact that this happened, and it's being described as 'well we didn't like his style', Soccer Canada I've got news for you, you don't have style

You don't know what the hell you're doing, you havent known what the hell you're doing since 1986... And Jason deVos, Paul Stalteri, and all the guys in there right now, a military coup has to happen this second in Soccer Canada

That's a disgrace for that guy to walk out the door after 10 months and smear him on the way out. He knew what he was doing, and he was going to help us... They don't have any balls at Soccer Canada, Soccer Canada are littered with cowards. This move is example a, b and c."

Note: CSA President Steve Reed is the Accountant / Simon Fraser grad Sid personally called out.  Love it.  

37 minutes ago, Ansem said:

This is clearly about 2026. So if we don't qualify for 2022, don't expect him to lose his job,

This is all about 2026...If we fail to qualify if we don't host the World Cup, he's gone. If we host and look like amateurs, he's gone. This move has 2026 written all over it as Canada's coming out as a regional power and becoming relevant globally.

Herdman has a 8 year leash

Zambrano was MV's hire and Herdman is Reed's hire.... It is surprising moment that had occurred yesterday, but in the end it has happened. We will see what Herdman will do and what he brings to CMNT it's only fair to sit back to see what he got. Who knows maybe he does an incredible job and heck yes he can fail miserably, but we won't know until it happens at that moment. Many rumors out there and in the end it will come down to the players how does the rumors or whatnot will affect them playing for CMNT. It should be small I'm sure most will give him a chance, but again who knows. This will be an interesting few months until CMNT gets a game.... No matter I will always go for Les Rouge success...

I'm literally tired of the Canadian mens football program....it always seems like when we take 2 steps forward, we take 10 back. Kudos to the olderhead fans who have been around supporting this shit for 25+ years . 13 coaches in 15 years....I'm tired of complacency, I'm tired of mediocracy, I'm tired of the constant smells of boy club moves, I'm tired of the attitude that has been developed.

LoN is coming up, I might just start passively supporting my heritage countries. Even small nations with less resources than us seem to be making massive strides.

I hope Herdman proves the doubters wrong...matter fact I'm praying. 

14 minutes ago, Ansem said:

This is clearly about 2026. So if we don't qualify for 2022, don't expect him to lose his job,....

Herdman has a 8 year leash

Hopefully we've won the Gold Cup, or have moved into the top 5 of CONCACAF, something please.....or hopefully God comes back.

Sid says Herdman had an MLS offer?  No, 1000% he did not.  It would have been USL AT BEST.  Think of the calibre coaches being hired in that league.. they wouldn't hire a US womens coach but they're going to hire Herdman?  Okay, I have a bridge to sell to some people.

Just now, Keegan said:

Sid says Herdman had an MLS offer?  No, 1000% he did not.  It would have been USL AT BEST.  

I’ll bet the farm that Herdman is making that shit up.  Even Martin Rennie, ex-Caps coach worked his way up the USL ranks before MLS came a calling.  Herdman doesn’t even have that on his “illustrious” resume.

Archived