Zambrano out!

gator

1 minute ago, Obinna said:

Wasn't Grizzly just defending the CSA in another thread?

Nice timing Grizz lol

Yes and I agreed with what he was saying but this is beyond a joke, what other country in the world would make a move like this, they have probably just fucked up two programs!

• Replies 866
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, matty said:

OZ got sacked it seems. Gonna say this, if things weren't working out with him behind the scenes then I'm glad they actually acted and didn't sit still but jeez what a fucking shocker.

Thats in the post article ("fired") but Mollinaro put the question directly to Reed:

Asked to characterize the terms of Zambrano’s departure, whether he was fired or he left by mutual consent, Reed said: “It was an organizational decision. He has departed from Canada Soccer. We wish him the best of luck.”

Seems like there is some ambiguity at this point.

still odd as hell.

Terrible new for men's and women's programs!  

Would have preferred they leave Herdman in place and re-start the search for another men's coach.  I hope the reason for OZ's departure comes out in due course.  

Bummer!

I heard about this last night.  I was told that Zambrano was not getting along with anyone at the CSA.  Now they have someone who knows how to work with the CSA. 

My view: This is probably a terrible decision.  Zambrano was rocking the boat, so instead of looking to change their ways, the CSA brings in their Yes-Man.  The Old Boys Club has reared its ugly head once again.  Same old CSA.  

2 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

typical infighting... Odds are its the latter

1 minute ago, Floortom said:

I’m guessing CSA fired Zambrano because he was rocking the boat too much and wanted to make too many changes. 

Bingo. This reeks of "who does he think he is to tell us how to run the program?"

My concern with Herdman is that what I have seen of his skill set was largely about motivation and rallying the troops.  Not that we don't need that, but I haven't seen a lot that tells me much about his tactical knowledge.  Sure the women played a more possession based game, but so has everyone else who has evolved from punt and chase.  Herdman was a great people manager, and I think it worked well with our women's team, but I don't know if that approach will work with the guys.

Apologies if some of that comes across as sexist, but I am just not convinced that Herdman is the guy for the CMNT.  A young guy, without a solid pedigree in the men's game, and who doesn't have a personal playing career as street cred?  I am just not convinced.  Maybe he is a great student if the game and a brilliant tactician - in fact I hope he is given his new role -  but I am very worried...

Amateur hour at the CSA and now we have an amateur coach. What an utterly ridiculous situation. With all due respect to John, of course.

I'm sure he's a great coach in his own right, but I cannot see him getting respect from our players, which has been a problem for past coaches with a much better resume than he has.

Someone at the CSA must have thought, "gee he's done a great job with the women's, should be a seamless transition". I want to know what individuals are responsible for this decision!

Zambrano wanted to do things his way? God, why stand in the man's way? You brought him in for his expertise and so he can change the culture and he then you complain? 

From the updated article:

“We felt as an organization that we needed to make some decisions for the longer term and our long-term philosophy, looking at growth of the men’s national team program and the youth development program. In terms of that review, we determined that we had the ideal candidate internally in John Herdman,” Canada Soccer president Steve Reed explained in a one-on-one interview with Sportsnet. “We thought now was the time to look to John to lead the men’s program and emulate what he’s done with the women’s program.”

One well-place source told Sportsnet that Zambrano’s tenure as coach was viewed as “a disaster” within some quarters of Canada Soccer.

if zambrano was fired becaused he wanted to implement change we need to fire up the Sack the CSA campaign again. this is ridiculous. 

does his pedigree command respect from ppl looking to join our program? no offense to John. This just screams mickey mouse amateur hour. who would want to play for us after this jesus

1 minute ago, harrycoyster said:

“We felt as an organization that we needed to make some decisions for the longer term and our long-term philosophy, looking at growth of the men’s national team program and the youth development program. In terms of that review, we determined that we had the ideal candidate internally in John Herdman,” Canada Soccer president Steve Reed explained in a one-on-one interview with Sportsnet. “We thought now was the time to look to John to lead the men’s program and emulate what he’s done with the women’s program.”

One well-place source told Sportsnet that Zambrano’s tenure as coach was viewed as “a disaster” within some quarters of Canada Soccer.

why was it a disaster? because we actually advanced out of the group stage of the Gold CUp?

did players not like him?

1 minute ago, harrycoyster said:

So out of touch it's not even funny. What a clown show.

Just now, king1010 said:

if zambrano was fired becaused he wanted to implement change we need to fire up the Sack the CSA campaign again. this is ridiculous. 

does his pedigree command respect from ppl looking to join our program? no offense to John. This just screams mickey mouse amateur hour. who would want to play for us after this jesus

Completely agree and I still have the t-shirt!

Sorry but I see this as another negative for the CSA.  Zambrano wasn’t even a world class coach, but that he bolted or gave up on the National team probably means rhe CSA wanted him do more than what his job description dictated.  I remember he was gung ho and I believe he even stated that he joined the program on the condition Canada was to get its own league.  Maybe he realized nothing is happening anytime soon and bolted, still Herdman as coach, screams of CSA cheapness.

Archived