Jump to content

Herdman new head coach


matty
 Share

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, SpecialK said:

He has to learn player management. Davies should have never left. Herdman and the CSA screwed up. I understand Bayern was probably torturing the CSA and Herdman but the CSA always caves to Club pressure. It was the  same with the youth teams, only calling up MLS Academy kids. In my view they should of held their ground. If the player says he’s good to play, he should be in uniform ready to do battle. 
Now should Davies play or not that’s different question. But he should have been on the bench with his teammates. 
 

Bayern has more to lose if they ever refused to release Davies during a FIFA window. 

Have you never heard of mutually agreeing to something, that includes Davies agreeing to this?  We get a win and all you can do is go off on Herdman and the CSA.  So predictable.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Have you never heard of mutually agreeing to something, that includes Davies agreeing to this?  We get a win and all you can do is go off on Herdman and the CSA.  So predictable.

I don’t think he agreed, his family was there to see him play. 
 

Edited by SpecialK
Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

I don’t think he agreed, his family was there to see him play. 
 

Still, we got the win, Bayern get a star player back heathy, and we preserve a key relationship with them which means they are less likely to oppose releasing him in future windows.  The reality is that he got subbed off in the previous game in obvious pain.   A bit of a precautionary approach was the right move - even if the player himself wants to play every minute of every game.  Don’t try to see everything through the filtering idea that Herdman is incompetent.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Still, we got the win, Bayern get a star player back heathy, and we preserve a key relationship with them which means they are less likely to oppose releasing him in future windows.  The reality is that he got subbed off in the previous game in obvious pain.   A bit of a precautionary approach was the right move - even if the player himself wants to play every minute of every game.  Don’t try to see everything through the filtering idea that Herdman is incompetent.  

This. At at the end of the day, if Davies has any level of possible injury or even just needs a good recovery, Bayern's medical team budget and capabilities are probably double the CSAs full budget. I'd rather have him slightly annoyed but fully healthy for Window 2. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, SpecialK said:

He has to learn player management. Davies should have never left. Herdman and the CSA screwed up. I understand Bayern was probably torturing the CSA and Herdman but the CSA always caves to Club pressure. It was the  same with the youth teams, only calling up MLS Academy kids. In my view they should of held their ground. If the player says he’s good to play, he should be in uniform ready to do battle. 
Now should Davies play or not that’s different question. But he should have been on the bench with his teammates. 
 

Bayern has more to lose if they ever refused to release Davies during a FIFA window. 

OK I think I understand what you are saying. If we lose, the only important thing is the result and Herdman should be fired (like there being no reason to keep him if we don't make the World Cup, even if lets say Davies, David, Larin, Cavallini, and Eustaquio all have season ending knee injuries tomorrow, and we are killed by ridiculous red card and/or penalty calls). But if we win, then the result isn't important and there is room for nuance to allow blame to still be put on Herdman.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m enjoying seeing these new and creative ways some people are coming up with to try and blame Herdman for something (anything!) on a near-perfect night. Brain psychology is such an interesting thing and it’s always fascinating to to see the mental gymnastics that some people pull off in order to paint a picture that fits into their predefined worldview. In this case, that worldview is mostly built around arbitrary negativity. It’s pathetic to witness, but interesting nonetheless.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, frmr said:

I’m enjoying seeing these new and creative ways some people are coming up with to try and blame Herdman for something (anything!) on a near-perfect night. Brain psychology is such an interesting thing and it’s always fascinating to to see the mental gymnastics that some people pull off in order to paint a picture that fits into their predefined worldview. In this case, that worldview is mostly built around arbitrary negativity. It’s pathetic to witness, but interesting nonetheless.

He actually got his tactics right which I’ll give him kudos, but 2 points dropped in the 1st game is still the blemish so far.  We have to make that up in the later windows.  I’ll wait till the end of qualifying for Herdman’s final judgement, as I doubt the CSA will can him until the end.  But so far, we tied Honduras at home, tied the Yanks in there casa and blew out the weakesr team in the Octo.  Based on yesterday’s results, we woke up the US dragon and seems the US pounded Honduras in Honduras, something we have yet to ever do in history. Its a long qualifying campaign, but moving forward, we can’t afford to lose any more home matches.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I can understand not agreeing with some of Herdman's tactics (i.e. first half against Honduras) but wanting him fired?! Have the haters followed Canadian soccer the last 10 years and seen what he has done for this country on the men's and women's side.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion but jeeze ground that opinion in some form of reality.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, nolbertos said:

He actually got his tactics right which I’ll give him kudos, but 2 points dropped in the 1st game is still the blemish so far.  We have to make that up in the later windows.  I’ll wait till the end of qualifying for Herdman’s final judgement, as I doubt the CSA will can him until the end.  But so far, we tied Honduras at home, tied the Yanks in there casa and blew out the weakesr team in the Octo.  Based on yesterday’s results, we woke up the US dragon and seems the US pounded Honduras in Honduras, something we have yet to ever do in history. Its a long qualifying campaign, but moving forward, we can’t afford to lose any more home matches.

I agree I think he got Honduras wrong. But he’s not going to be perfect, it was most of our guys’ first game at this level and over the window we have gotten better and better. All in all I’m happy with that. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, SpecialK said:

I don’t think he agreed, his family was there to see him play. 
 

Well, if he didn't agree then why didn't he tell Bayern that he wanted to stay then?  As their crown jewel of a left back, he has more power than the CSA does.  Why would he let Herdman be the bad guy?

I find it hard to believe that Herdman is dictating a lot of things behind the scenes.  Someone doesn't rule with an iron fist but also have things like a consulting group of senior players that he'll defer to.  The narrative doesn't make sense.

I get the feeling that Herdman lets the players rule the roost a little more than past managers, especially guys like Floro or Osieck.  While it is good for team chemistry, it can go disastrously and that's the fine line that needs to be walked.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, frmr said:

I’m enjoying seeing these new and creative ways some people are coming up with to try and blame Herdman for something (anything!) on a near-perfect night.

Everybody is welcome to join me in blaming Simon Eaddy instead! :P

It was fun to watch Spoony take one of our three corners from the south end but all three were, once again, not particularly effective.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille
Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

Well, if he didn't agree then why didn't he tell Bayern that he wanted to stay then?  As their crown jewel of a left back, he has more power than the CSA does.  Why would he let Herdman be the bad guy?

Because at the end of the day he did agree, because he is a responsible adult who understands the dynamics at play, but like many people these days decided to vent his frustration with the whole situation on social media.

And then, as semi-cryptic social media posts tend to be, it got blown way out of proportion.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Because at the end of the day he did agree, because he is a responsible adult who understands the dynamics at play, but like many people these days decided to vent his frustration with the whole situation on social media.

And then, as semi-cryptic social media posts tend to be, it got blown way out of proportion.

Incidentally, he was back at training this morning.  (Which may give a bit more insight as to why he was so frustrated with leaving.)

image.png.50800f0cd4ff245262d6c87311b99ef7.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well its 2 windows a month apart.  Other than injuries not a lot would have changed eh?  No experimenting....no Jebbison, Flores etc etc, no cap tying.  He is all business. as he should be, with Mex at altitude, and only the one home game, it'll be a tougher window than last time.  Although the guys sure seem to be flying.......6pts this time???  Cross your fingers.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Depends on what "new players" really  means. Corbeanu, ZBG & Millar for example were all involved with the team in WCQ/GC this year, so perhaps they are not "new".  What is clear is that we won't see any of the young duals unless they start making a real splash with their club teams. Does not look good for Arfield.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I also wonder if no new players just means "No new invitations".

From what we've heard there were players he's asked (such as the guy who said 3 duals were asked) or who were kept in the loop but not brought this window, like Arfield, Corbeanu, Millar etc

Maybe Herdman is just drawing from his own internal 60-man list 😉

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am sure it is partly about team chemistry, but in terms of the young duals there is also the obvious reality that none of them have committed to us yet.  Lots on here think we will get one or more of them at some point, but as of now we don’t have any of them.  Thus Herdman is just saying what any manager would in light of that fact.  His position doesn’t make us seem needy (which we are not) and it doesn’t close any doors (which we don’t want to do).  Throw in the fact that I don’t think any of the eligible players are an upgrade over what we have (aside from maybe Ferdi, and for me that is just based on reputation) and I think we are hearing exactly what we would expect to hear at this point. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

I am sure it is partly about team chemistry, but in terms of the young duals there is also the obvious reality that none of them have committed to us yet.  Lots on here think we will get one or more of them at some point, but as of now we don’t have any of them.  Thus Herdman is just saying what any manager would in light of that fact.  His position doesn’t make us seem needy (which we are not) and it doesn’t close any doors (which we don’t want to do).  Throw in the fact that I don’t think any of the eligible players are an upgrade over what we have (aside from maybe Ferdi, and for me that is just based on reputation) and I think we are hearing exactly what we would expect to hear at this point. 

I agree. I think the duals are highly unlikely, just bringing up the idea that there were invites out for last window that weren't accepted which could have been apart of Herdman's "nothing will change" attitude. I've noticed he tends to be very non-committal with his answers before matches and more willing to speak afterwards (which I like to be fair). You're right in Ferdi is probably the only dual who would be an upgrade right now, although I do think if the opportunity arose to captie Jebbison he wouldn't decrease the quality in the team just for the sake of a captie. But with him actively playing U19s, that's probably not happening anyway

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It is pretty hard to justify dropping anyone from that squad. Even someone like Fraser contributed and looked good over the past 6 months. These are pivotal games so barring injury or suspension I just can't see us calling anyone new in. 

That taxi squad though...

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/16/2021 at 10:44 PM, Bison44 said:

Well its 2 windows a month apart.  Other than injuries not a lot would have changed eh?  No experimenting....no Jebbison, Flores etc etc, no cap tying.  He is all business. as he should be, with Mex at altitude, and only the one home game, it'll be a tougher window than last time.  Although the guys sure seem to be flying.......6pts this time???  Cross your fingers.  

screw that, I genuinely think we are good enough to get at least a point from Mexico, and we should beat Jamaica. 7 points should be the expectation.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, LeoH037 said:

screw that, I genuinely think we are good enough to get at least a point from Mexico, and we should beat Jamaica. 7 points should be the expectation.

We should expect to draw in Mexico and best Jamaica away... love the optimism. If we get 1 point from those two games and win at home I’ll find it tough to be mad.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×
×
  • Create New...