Herdman new head coach

matty

2 minutes ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Ok, whatever you say.  One last word, considering some of the angry posts you made above, are you still pissed off at me because I roasted you in the Argos @ BMO thread.  If so, it's time to let it go, bro.

You are a fucking asshole.

I'm not mad at you but I know you are a piece of shit.

I'm mad at the mods for never dealing with the issue.

And for the record even then you were wrong, as usual. 

Edited by narduch

Reporter covering the USMNT dumpster fire:  "One moment, we hear there is disruption in the Canadian camp as well, let's interrupt this bulletin for live coverage in Canada."

5GnFu9J.gif

Narduch and McCarthy:   "Huh?"

everyone is thinking like it’s the past, everything has changed.  Herdman should be held to a higher standard. Yes he has done well to recruit, but it’s not like he is the only coach to recruit, Hoilett,  Arfield and few minors  = Floro . Oz tried to get Ferreira in his prime and Cristante and he did get a few younger players like Elva.  
Herdman forced himself onto the senior team. He was Reeds guy, they didn’t look for another coach why because herdman was gonna leave and he’s supposed to take us to glory, he’s the man according to the CSA . Ok fine he’s here now, the standard should be the World Cup ( I don’t care if we win a game but we better be there ). With the players he has, he should be able to take us there . Come on he has one of the best players in World ! On paper our player pool is top 4 in Concacaf, so there is NO excuse. Canadian soccer fans stop living in the past and having low standards. I would have the same standard if we brought in a pro manager. 

Edited by SpecialK

10 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

everyone is thinking like it’s the past, everything has changed.  Herdman should be held to a higher standard. Yes he get well to recruit, but it’s not like he is the only coach to recruit, Hoilett,  Arfield and few minors  = Floro . Oz tried to get Ferreira in his prime and Cristante.  
Herdman forced himself onto the senior team. He was Reeds guy, they didn’t look for another coach why because herdman was gonna leave and he’s supposed to take us to glory, he’s the man according to the CSA . Ok fine he’s here now, the standard should be the World Cup ( I don’t care if we win a game but we better be there ). With the players he has, he should be able to take us there . Come on he has one of the best players in World ! On paper our player pool is top 4 in Concacaf, so there is NO excuse. Canadian soccer fans stop living in the past and having low standards. I would have the same standard if we brought in a pro manager. 

John Herdman gets paid to manage a football team. This has been the case for a very long time. He's a professional manager. He's more accomplished in his chosen field than the limp-dicked, knobheads trying to win cheap points at his expense on the internet. I've said this to you many times. I'm saying it again. You seem to have an irrational obsession with John Herdman. It's not healthy. You should certainly do something about it. It's never too late to seek the help needed to improve our lives.

1 hour ago, SthMelbRed said:

John Herdman gets paid to manage a football team. This has been the case for a very long time. He's a professional manager. He's more accomplished in his chosen field than the limp-dicked, knobheads trying to win cheap points at his expense on the internet. I've said this to you many times. I'm saying it again. You seem to have an irrational obsession with John Herdman. It's not healthy. You should certainly do something about it. It's never too late to seek the help needed to improve our lives.

Someone said on here was saying I’m holding him to a crazy Standard and I’m saying no and why. Just continuing the covo. So just because I don’t like him and don’t kiss his ass and act like he’s the saviour of Canadian soccer like you and the sports media has and have a different opinion and have alittle fun in the process  doesn’t mean I am crazy. The fact that you insult me and think I am crazy is rude and just plain piece of shit move. 
mental health is very serious and sensitive. So when you want to add to the covo about the topic on hand and that is about herdman our manager please go ahead your so welcome, if not just the shut the fuck up and have an amazing day. 

Edited by SpecialK

6 hours ago, frmr said:

That's your opinion, that's fine.

I find that amusing though considering the absolute garbage that people hurl towards Herdman in this thread...

From my perspective, I see people who have personal vendettas against Herdman for one reason or another and because of that, come into this thread and take an unbalanced approach towards him and even go so far as to take pleasure in when he makes mistakes. That is not an objective view and it is not based on logic. When someone does not have the insight to be able to look beyond their own insignificant personal emotions on a matter then I think they're an idiot. That's just my personal opinion. If that hurts peoples' feelings, then they don't need to come in to this thread and spew negativity everywhere. I don't respond that way to criticism of Herdman, because criticism is justified. I only respond that way when people take out their garbage on the guy because *insert personal reason here*. If you can't take it, don't dish it out. If all of this makes me arrogant and condescending in your eyes then so be it, that's fine. I wouldn't say I'm half as condescending as a handful of people have been towards Herdman in this thread though.

Not a single person on this board has a "personal vendetta" against Herdman. 

If we did we'd be keying his car right now in Vancouver and flirting with his wife in front of the kefir at Whole Foods, while he's off doing his coaching thing back east.

This being so normative and don't make waves: I think some people here are just uncomfortable with a critically diverse society. Anyways: I am a responsible human being in most everything I do professionally and personally, with my family, at work, I have major responsibilities I handle under high pressure, and I am used to executing at a high level in quite a few things. I am sure many here are the same, which is why it's a great thing to come here and totally shit like a teen on his unbalanced midfield tactics. 

My suggestion @frmr, is that you stop dicking around in your real life and do it here.

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Not a single person on this board has a "personal vendetta" against Herdman. 

If we did we'd be keying his car right now in Vancouver and flirting with his wife in front of the kefir at Whole Foods, while he's off doing his coaching thing back east.

This being so normative and don't make waves: I think some people here are just uncomfortable with a critically diverse society. Anyways: I am a responsible human being in most everything I do professionally and personally, with my family, at work, I have major responsibilities I handle under high pressure, and I am used to executing at a high level in quite a few things. I am sure many here are the same, which is why it's a great thing to come here and totally shit like a teen on his unbalanced midfield tactics. 

My suggestion @frmr, is that you stop dicking around in your real life and do it here.

Bullshit no one has a personal vendetta against him. But like 99.99% of people in the world, they exhibit that as a keyboard warrior from the comfort of their home. If you go back even a few pages you'll see multiple examples of people saying they "don't like Herdman". Call that what you will, it's pedantic semantics. I did not say that in an attempt to make a rhyme. And yeah, that's fine, I'm all for a funny joke and if people have clever, witty jokes at Herdman's expense then I'm all for it. I'll have a laugh at someone else's expense as long as there is some actual humour and substance to it. What gets a reaction out of me is when people make no attempt to be humourous, make no attempt to have any semblance of intelligence, have no grasp on the real world and just come in here and spit bile about a man who has dedicated his life to Canadian football. And if you are one of mouthbreathers that chooses to do so, expect me to call you an idiot and prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that it is so. And for those who do not enjoy that, I might recommend becoming an Arsenal fan and spending your time on AFTV because you'll be amongst your kind there. And for the record, I do enjoy an argument, so this is my dicking around I suppose.

2 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Just when you think its gettin crazy...UT turns it up a notch.  Narduch vs Macarthy..you need to take notes.  

Yup, it never fails, after the combatants tire and head back to their neutral corners someone else always wants to ring the bell again (and that was before Jeffery posted) :)

Edited by Joe MacCarthy

2 hours ago, frmr said:

But yeah, I guess point taken. Maybe I'll stop being so argumentative and let haters hate. I guess me hating on the haters isn't much different. 🤷‍♂️

Nah, don't stop, let your voice be heard, I sure as hell do.  People have to realize that there are consequences for their actions.  If they want to IMO slander Herdman excessively and often unjustly, based on something that went down years ago, as a select few here do, they deserve everything they get back at them.  I know everything I post here can have consequences, sometimes I keep quiet and sometimes I don't.

As far as I'm concerned my scrape with Narduch is over, I said what I wanted to say and I'm pretty sure he did, in spades :)

Edited by Joe MacCarthy

7 hours ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Nah, don't stop, let your voice be heard, I sure as hell do.  People have to realize that there are consequences for their actions.  If they want to IMO slander Herdman excessively and often unjustly, based on something that went down years ago, as a select few here do, they deserve everything they get back at them.  I know everything I post here can have consequences, sometimes I keep quiet and sometimes I don't.

As far as I'm concerned my scrape with Narduch is over, I said what I wanted to say and I'm pretty sure he did, in spades :)

Does the same apply to the majority that slam Henry over his past gaffes and proclaim they will never trust him, no matter what he does in the future??  

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

Does the same apply to the majority that slam Henry over his past gaffes and proclaim they will never trust him, no matter what he does in the future??  

If you're talking about Doneil Henry, then yes, I can never erase his past (numerous) gaffes from my memory and consequently I don't think I can ever completely trust him.  However, I'm also honest enough to say he had a great game against the US - his athleticism and strength were enormous out there for us.  Who knows - maybe if he strings enough of those performances together, I will trust him?  Nah...   😉

And regarding Herdman, it's the same thing.   He started out by winning me over when we beat the US 2 - 0, but then he lost me with his "too clever by half" tactics/lineup in the away fixture, that directly contributed to our 4 - 1 loss.  He has an abundance of talent on this roster (and to be fair, some of that is due to him); it's his job to get them to perform to their max potential.  When he doesn't do that (as in the 4 -1 loss, or more recently in the Honduras match), we (or at least I) question his competence.  I think that's fair.

Tbh, it does boil down to the question of what is the "max potential" of this roster.  What is a reasonable expectation?  Is it World Cup Qualification?  I happen to think so, and so I will be disappointed if we don't make that.  If we don't, the question of why we didn't make it will (or should) determine Herdman's future with us.  Perhaps we don't make it because of a rash of injuries, or because of some bad bounces or uncharacteristically poor performances from our stars.  But on the other hand, if it's because the manager trotted out an oddball lineup or a novel formation in some key games, well, that deserves some scrutiny.  The bottomline is the bottomline, and apart from factors beyond his control, Herdman is accountable for that bottomline.  So the jury is out (as it always is for managers).  

15 hours ago, SpecialK said:

everyone is thinking like it’s the past, everything has changed.  Herdman should be held to a higher standard. Yes he has done well to recruit, but it’s not like he is the only coach to recruit, Hoilett,  Arfield and few minors  = Floro . Oz tried to get Ferreira in his prime and Cristante and he did get a few younger players like Elva.  

Yes and no. 

I think his recruitment has gone beyond his predecessors and people are genuinely dazzled by this guy’s charisma. I’m entirely thankful he’s apart of the program for that reason. He should also get credit for this team’s new-found nerve and not suffering nativity when it comes to how you play in CONCACAF and what to expect when you play these games.

BUT 

That shouldn’t leave him with a blank cheque. I sometimes get the aura of “John Herdman deserves this” from the association and others around Canadian Soccer, as if he’s welded to his seat through the end of this qualifying cycle and maybe even 2026. This is too big a ticket just to trust to someone no matter what. Qualifying is transformative to the whole program and a huge potential payday for the CSA. 

There are other ways to keep Herman involved even if he’s not the coach. We should take his performances for what they are. If he struggles, someone new should come in with real pedigree and we shouldn’t get caught up in some misplaced sense of loyalty.

At this stage it feels a bit like an unwritten story as to whether he’s the right guy. I see some positives and negatives. Guess we’ll see throughout the course of these early ocho games.

Edited by ag futbol

Though I'm hard on Herdman, and tend to be wary of what he says and does, I agree that depending how things go even not qualifying for Qatar might give him a pass.

There has to be a very strong progression. We have to be able to handle those away matches in Central America, we can't always be saying we did this or that wrong. We need to have let's say 3-5 matches like that one vs. Costa Rica, when he did a great job, and then if there are a few messier wins, fine. We can't squander whole halves like we did vs. Honduras at home. 

Now if we can't be amongst the 4 best, top half of the table, I'd say we have a problem. I'd let him go and make a move. We all know that the 4th spot is poison, and dealing with that playoff will be tough, so I would not judge him on not winning that depending on the rival.

22 minutes ago, xcalibre said:

Depends really. New Zealand we should beat, the Asian team (Korea? Saudi?) would be a lot trickier. South American team we'd be rank outsiders

South Korea and Saudi Arabia should go 1-2 in the one group. Japan and Iran will probably go 1-2 in the other group. That'll likely leave us with the playoff winner between Australia and one of Iraq or UAE. I watched the Socceroos 2 games so far this window. We should beat them over 2 legs. That being said, if we draw Australia in the playoff, and they play the away leg here in Melbourne, I'll 100% be organizing the away supporters' pre- and post-match parties.

35 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

South Korea and Saudi Arabia should go 1-2 in the one group. Japan and Iran will probably go 1-2 in the other group. That'll likely leave us with the playoff winner between Australia and one of Iraq or UAE. I watched the Socceroos 2 games so far this window. We should beat them over 2 legs. That being said, if we draw Australia in the playoff, and they play the away leg here in Melbourne, I'll 100% be organizing the away supporters' pre- and post-match parties.

Likewise if we get the All Whites here in NZ.  Actually, I've got AirNZ credits for Melbourne too...

He has to learn player management. Davies should have never left. Herdman and the CSA screwed up. I understand Bayern was probably torturing the CSA and Herdman but the CSA always caves to Club pressure. It was the  same with the youth teams, only calling up MLS Academy kids. In my view they should of held their ground. If the player says he’s good to play, he should be in uniform ready to do battle. 
Now should Davies play or not that’s different question. But he should have been on the bench with his teammates. 

Bayern has more to lose if they ever refused to release Davies during a FIFA window. 

Edited by SpecialK